Close

Default PreSonus AudioBox 96 doesn't record into SAW Studio Basic

I can't record from my PreSonus Audiobox USB 96 into SAW Studio Basic installed on my Dell XPS 8930. It plays perfectly, though. And SAW through the Audiobox records/plays perfectly when connected with my HP Pavillion Laptop CS. Both are operating with the latest version of Windows 10 Home 64 bit.

All drivers are current on the 8930, as are updates for BIOS, USB and chipset. I have disabled all other competing audio devices: Realtek Audio, NVIDIA High Definition Audio, and NVIDIA Virtual Audio Device (Wave Extensible) (WDM). A hardware diagnostic test indicates: AudioBox USB 96 working properly.

Still, when trying to record, SAW says Trouble Opening An In Device!; Make Certain Device is Capable Of Current Parameters And Not Being Used By Another Application. [Make Certain Selected Driver Model Is Correctly Installed and Available].

This 8930 is running an Intel i7-8700 CPU @ 3.2 GHz with 16 GB Intel Optane Memory plus 16 GB DRAM/2 TB SSD, which is new territory for me.

Any ideas?

Ken
    Last edited by Ken Boone; 09-13-2019 at 05:43 PM.

Default Re: PreSonus AudioBox 96 doesn't record into SAW Studio Basic

Some more information from you would be helpful.
    In particular, In SAW, what device(s) do you have assigned to your input/output in your Audio Device Setup found in the Options Menu.
    Also, what settings are you using in Audio Driver Model - found in the Options Menu as well?

Your driver type and device choices must be valid between SAW and your AudioBox 96.
    Sorry if the questions I'm asking don't quite apply to your version of SAW Basic. I don't use that version and have not set it up to check. But I hope this is helpful in steering you to a solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Boone View Post
    Any ideas?
    In addition to UpTilDawn's suggestions, have you disabled system sounds in Windows?

If you are using the MME driver model options, make sure to also activate the 24 bit WDM compatibility option in SAW. If using the ASIO drivers, you don't need to do this.

Bob L

Also, make sure the sample rate is matched between your audio device and the session in SAW. Some sound cards don’t allow SAW to switch the sample rate automatically, especially if you are using an external digital clock for the system.
    Michael McInnis Productions

Quote Originally Posted by Bob L View Post
    If you are using the MME driver model options, make sure to also activate the 24 bit WDM compatibility option in SAW. If using the ASIO drivers, you don't need to do this.

Bob L
    Right on target, Bob. The Audio Driver Model in my setup is an Asio Protocol. Now it records perfectly. Thank you!

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. SAW studio is powerful, but as such does require a learning curve. Sort of like trying to fly an airliner, I guess. Bob, appreciating your personal attention to this one and your pointing out the Audio Driver Model; saved the flight here.

Next time I'll spend more time reading the instructions.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Boone View Post
    Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. SAW studio is powerful, but as such does require a learning curve. Sort of like trying to fly an airliner, I guess. Bob, appreciating your personal attention to this one and your pointing out the Audio Driver Model; saved the flight here.

Next time I'll spend more time reading the instructions.
    Don't beat yourself up for not having read the manual (although I'm not suggesting that you shouldn't). There's a lot to learn. Fortunately, this is the most helpful and responsive forum you'll find on the internet, with many knowledgeable and experienced SAWStudio users chiming in (not to mention Bob's priceless contributions).
    Further, ALL DAWs come with a steep learning curve; they are different from each other, but all steep. Keep at it, and it WILL get easier.
    Richard
    Green Valley Recording
    My cats have nine lives; my life has nine cats.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Rupert View Post
    Don't beat yourself up for not having read the manual (although I'm not suggesting that you shouldn't). There's a lot to learn. Fortunately, this is the most helpful and responsive forum you'll find on the internet, with many knowledgeable and experienced SAWStudio users chiming in (not to mention Bob's priceless contributions).
    Further, ALL DAWs come with a steep learning curve; they are different from each other, but all steep. Keep at it, and it WILL get easier.
    Thanks, Richard. You're an encourager.