Close

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Dropped buffers again

Naturally Digital,

I wasn't aware of SpyBot Anti-Beacon
    There are much better alternatives out there than Spybot. Check out OOSU10 and W10Privacy. Also, DoNotSpy10 and DisableWinTracking.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    Naturally Digital,

There are much better alternatives out there than Spybot. Check out OOSU10 and W10Privacy. Also, DoNotSpy10 and DisableWinTracking.
    I like OOSU10. I like how it doesn't install.It just makes the changes. Also, have you checked out GlassWire? https://www.glasswire.com/

Blog Entries

Hello,

Apparently, the RuntimeBroker service is linked with the Task Scheduler service. There are a number of applications that require this service to be started - one being later versions of MS Office.

It is suggested then that you do not disable this service until all applications have been installed and are verified as working. Then, disable the service and see how things go.

Note: I create two reg keys, 1) an exported one that one has the default settings, and 2) one that has the tweaked setting. However, as can bee seen, disabling a function can trigger other functions - so even having a contingency plan in place may not provide you with the backdoor you require. In situations such as this, disk imaging is your best bet. And though I have been using Acronis for years, I have switched over to Macrium Reflect, 1) 'cause it's free, 2) Macrium offers better support for SSD's, and 3) Acronis support is poor-to-none these days.

After I had to leave SAC64 on Win 10 LTSC for some time now, I want to finish setting up my system.

I've ran through all the Win 10 tweaks from the helpfile.
    As a stress test I have a 32 channel setup as FOH mixer with a different plug-in in each of the first 24 channel strips. Connected are 2x ADA8200 In/Out. Approx 50% Load displayed in SAC64.
    On one internal channel runs via SPDIF foobar2000 with music.
    The RayDAT card I use with 1x64 samples.
    The i5-660 with 2 cores active, 12 GM RAM (used is only 2,5 - 2,7 GB).
    During the stress tests the network cable is disconnected.

As soon as I switch the mixer live, 1-2 dropped buffers are usually displayed. Rarely without. Then the system runs quite smoothly. After about 5 hours of unattended operation there were over 600 slipped buffers.
    Force RealTime Priority is active and a second test I did with addionally with 'Force High Priority Class', as well as tests with 2x64 Samples.
    Here in the forum I read various tips such as Process Lasso Pro or about the RuntimeBroker service.

How should I proceed to get the system slipped buffer free?

Walter
    SAC Host: i5-660, 3.33GHz, 12GB RAM, Win10 LTSC, (2) RayDAT, (3) Behringer ADA8000 modded, (4) Behringer ADA8200, 26" TFT

For testing purposes you can set processor affinity manually through the task manager.

I bought an Intel NUC for use with a Behringer UMC-1820. I loaded LTSC for the OS. Setting CPU affinity made a huge difference. It also made a difference with my W7 production machines. On the W7 machine SAC ran 24 hours a day for 5 days without a reboot with zero (0) slipped buffers.

Blog Entries

Wink0r

For testing purposes you can set processor affinity manually through the task manager.
    ... Is the parameter not also configured using Options > Force Single CPU?

In my testing, enabling this parameter allocated the application to using CPU 0 - same as setting affinity to 1.

Note: Just did a second check...enabling Options > Force Single CPU works in SAC...but NOT in SAW. Checked numerous versions of both SAC and SAW and Options > Force Single CPU appears to work only in SAC! Interesting! If this is so, then you will need to create a shortcut to enable this functionality in SAW. Could someone please verify this potential anomaly?

Here are some scripts...

From a shortcut - running as Admin:

C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /C start /affinity 1 SAWStudio64.exe

...or...

From a batch file - running as Admin:

@echo off
    cmd.exe /c start "" /affinity 1 C:\SAWStudio64\SAWStudio64.exe
    exit
    Last edited by mr_es335; 11-20-2019 at 11:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kabelwalter View Post
    Force RealTime Priority is active and a second test I did with addionally with 'Force High Priority Class', as well as tests with 2x64 Samples.
    Here in the forum I read various tips such as Process Lasso Pro or about the RuntimeBroker service.
    Walter
    In order for "Force Realtime Priority" to actually work in Win10 SAC will have to be running as administrator or you have to use a utility like "Process Lasso".

You can manual set processor affinity, but if you want SAC to run with those settings automatically you'll have to setup launch scripts or use a utility like "Process Lasso"

The problem I had with launch scripts and running SAC as administrator, was every time I launched SAC it would run a new instance so I couldn't switch apps from the task bar.
    Last edited by cgrafx; 11-20-2019 at 11:41 AM.
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

Blog Entries

Good day,

Every time I launched the SAC-then-SAW combo, I had always receive two slipped buffers. I reasoned, that since SAC is handling all of the load that the fault was with SAC.

However, since reading Wink0r's posting, I did some digging and have since added the switch to set the affinity to 1 for SAW. And no more slipped buffers!

So, Win0r...thank you for the suggestion! Much appreciated indeed!

As noted, though Force Single CPU DOES works in SAC, it does NOT appear to work in SAW - and it would very helpful if someone else could verify this situation.