Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: SAWBasic and Best Audio Interface

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    Cary,

Check out "trim".

From what I understand - at least from ADATA, WD and Kingston, Windows 7 never provided a trim feature for SSD's - with trim being a "built-in" functionality of Windows 10. Samsung recommends using their software for trimming SSD's in Windows 7 - but which is not required in Windows 10. Thus my use of the term "prefers"..
    Del,
    The fact that Windows 10 provides a maintenance feature for SSDs does not mean that Win10 actually prefers using an SSD. In fact, the OS doesn't care. The only advantage of the SSD as a boot drive is speed. Well, OK, it eats a bit less power than a spinner, but in some systems that is a very minor advantage. The main reason I put an SSD in my laptop is that an SSD is not vulnerable to jostling during operation.

No doubt the use of SSDs is becoming pretty much standard, although spinners will still be out there as long as they remain cheaper per unit of storage.

I do have an external SSD that I haven't used in some time. I tried running a SAW session from one and it couldn't keep up when any old spinner could. I don't know why that is, but there you go.

As you may have noticed, I can get very picky about the use of words. Exactness of meaning is a big deal with me. It's kind of part of telling the truth. Logic...
    Cary B. Cornett
    aka "Puzzler"
    www.chinesepuzzlerecording.com

Quote Originally Posted by Cary B. Cornett View Post
    As you may have noticed, I can get very picky about the use of words. Exactness of meaning is a big deal with me. It's kind of part of telling the truth. Logic...
    OMIGOD. My long lost twin brother. Separated at birth?
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

" It is one of the most beautiful compensations in life … that no man can sincerely try to help another without helping himself." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Bill Corkery Productions
    Studio for Creative Audio