Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default OT: Recommended On-line Disk Imaging Solution?

I have a client who's looking. She found a service that wants $200/month. She's a one-woman shop. I'm thinking that's, like, enterprise-level protection, and she can do much better. Suggestions?

I believe she's looking to protect both a desktop and a laptop computer.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Blog Entries

Default Re: OT: Recommended On-line Disk Imaging Solution?

Dave,

Why not use Macrium Reflect free and a 32GB to 64GB thumb drive or even an 2TB external HDD.

32GB is $6.00, 64GB is $10.00 and a 2TB external HDD is $80.00.

I have written tutorials for my clients on how they can do this for themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    Dave,

Why not use Macrium Reflect free and a 32GB to 64GB thumb drive or even an 2TB external HDD.

32GB is $6.00, 64GB is $10.00 and a 2TB external HDD is $80.00.

I have written tutorials for my clients on how they can do this for themselves.
    I currently do that for my system. But my client wants an off-site solution. Thus my question.
    Becket, Massachusetts

Buy two large external drives, store one at a neighbor's house and swap them every week.
    Ian Alexander
    VO Talent/Audio Producer
    www.IanAlexander.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Alexander View Post
    Buy two large external drives, store one at a neighbor's house and swap them every week.
    A cost-effective approach (and thanks for that), but...

Don't want to bother a neighbor/hassle with the logistics and prefer a day-to-day catastrophic option, rather than losing as much as a week's work.

Really? No one can recommend an online solution to disk imaging?

Well, I've found a couple. Carbonite and IDrive both have such a service. I've been using IDrive for over a year and didn't even know there was an imaging option.
    Becket, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Labrecque View Post

Don't want to bother a neighbor/hassle with the logistics and prefer a day-to-day catastrophic option, rather than losing as much as a week's work.

Well, I've found a couple. Carbonite and IDrive both have such a service. I've been using IDrive for over a year and didn't even know there was an imaging option.
    The thing to keep in mind with most of these services particularly the cheap ones is that they aren't worth the non-existent paper they are written on.

Few of them actually provide the one thing you are using the service to provide, a usable working archive. If you look at the terms of service they don't actually guarantee you'll have a working copy when you need it.

So caveat emptor. (buyer beware).
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

Blog Entries

cgrafx,

...they don't actually guarantee you'll have a working copy when you need it...
    ... Well said.. and how true.

I had numerous clients who used Carbonite and most restores failed. A local "NAS" took care of all of the problems for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Labrecque View Post

Ah, I should have added: Back up or archive daily or after large, important projects, but swap disks with the neighbor weekly. Or keep the 2nd disk in a fire-resistant box. Or in the shed out back. At that point, the probability of having to recreate a lot of work is extremely low and not worth a lot of money. To me.

Plus, my approach increases social interactions and adds a short walk once a week, both of which are said to be healthy habits.
    Ian Alexander
    VO Talent/Audio Producer
    www.IanAlexander.com

Quote Originally Posted by cgrafx View Post
    The thing to keep in mind with most of these services particularly the cheap ones is that they aren't worth the non-existent paper they are written on.

Few of them actually provide the one thing you are using the service to provide, a usable working archive. If you look at the terms of service they don't actually guarantee you'll have a working copy when you need it.

So caveat emptor. (buyer beware).
    It appears to me that Carbonite, IDrive, Macrium Reflect, and Acronis all have essentially the same guarantee: 30 days (15 in the case of IDrive).

Why do you say they don't provide a usable working archive, Phil?
    Becket, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Alexander View Post
    Ah, I should have added: Back up or archive daily or after large, important projects, but swap disks with the neighbor weekly. Or keep the 2nd disk in a fire-resistant box. Or in the shed out back. At that point, the probability of having to recreate a lot of work is extremely low and not worth a lot of money. To me.

Plus, my approach increases social interactions and adds a short walk once a week, both of which are said to be healthy habits.
    Becket, Massachusetts