Close

Default WIN 10 VST listing service

I am preparing a WIN10 machine for SS. I was turning off bunches of services and checking to see if saw still ran - but later realized the vst(s) had dropped out of the FX list. Does anyone know what I had probably turned off?

And a sidenote; it is amazing how much garbage is is loaded in this OS. This will be a dedicated machine that will not networked so everything non-essential will be off.

John

Blog Entries

Default Re: WIN 10 VST listing service

jmh,

What is it that you turned off???

And "Yes", WIN10 does have a considerable amount of "fluff".

Have you considered LTSC?

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    What is it that you turned off???
    Well, when I'm done, it will be everything that can be turned off. Initially, I found a few powershell scripts to delete and turn off things - and then in bull-in-china-shop style, manually turned off some other things. I just wasn't checking for the vst listing and don't have a clue how far back it was.

I did this to a P4 (that I am still using) 10-15 years ago that I periodically brag about as it is still as quick as can be as it NEVER goes online. I just booted that old XP machine - 29 seconds and ready to run SS.

So far, the new win10 takes ~19 seconds from a cold boot - and about half of this seems to be POST - the particular bios does not seem to let me trim this down. I switched the bios to legacy boot - which actually slowed things down slightly - but now can't seem to switch out of (and have it boot). I also decided to clone onto a ssd and it did not particularly decrease the boot time.

Obviously, trimming a few more seconds is immaterial - but this is sort of a measure of how much of your CPU resources and electricity are being stolen from you by microsoft and other spy & bloatware - and therefore unavailable for audio purposes. So I feel it is worth the effort to make a machine as lean as possible. Maybe I'll try to post a listing of minimal components and services needed to run studio when I get as close as I can the ultimate configuration...

LTSC? I don't think so. Once I get this going - it is never going online.

Also in linux there is the ldd command that will show the shared objects a program uses and others that display various resource usage. If anyone knows analogous windows debugging commands, feel free to chime in...
    Last edited by jmh; 10-20-2019 at 10:54 AM. Reason: clarity

I just found 'Process Explorer' on this site. I probably will not be able to try it this week as I am readying for vacation.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sys...cess-utilities

One of the MS tools 'Process Monitor' led to identifying the problem - which of course was bewilderingly simple. There was a line regarding filtering ...vst/*.dll reporting 'not found'. It turned out that the dlls are gone At one point I reverted to a restore point. Either that or one of the power shell script deleted the dlls - from both SS & SS64. Interestingly, it left a few xml setup files.

So the lesson is to be careful who's code you run (although these were established on github and malware scanner... didn't dislike them) - particularly without reading the script - or at least the run parameters. I don't know if one of the scripts was searching for unknown dll's - none of these were placed in the directory with an installer - I had just dropped them in.

John
    Last edited by jmh; 10-20-2019 at 03:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jmh View Post
    I just booted that old XP machine - 29 seconds and ready to run SS.
    Yep! I love showing off when booting my traveling SAC system which is still (and will stay) XP. Just loaded an LTSB version of Windows 10 on a machine replacing a very clunky Win 7. It now boots with lightening speed.
    Angie Dickinson Mickle

The Studio
    http://www.avocadoproductions.com/ze.../recording.htm

Chris' tribute site
    http://www.micklesong.com