Close

Blog Entries

Default OT: WIN10 Pro and WIN10 LTSC

Good day,

Some information that may be of interest to other SAC'ers and SAW'ers...

A recent build of a gaming system for one of my sons prompted a re-visit of determining what version of WIN10 we would be considering. I believe that there are three, 1) WIN10 Pro retail, 2) WIN10 Pro OEM, and 3) WIN10 Pro LTSC...thanks again, Philip...

Pricing for Windows 10 is as follows...approximate, and in US funds:

WIN10 Pro retail: $130.00
    WIN10 Pro OEM: $25.00
    WIN10 LTSC: $6:00

Considering the above, I see no reason to consider any version other than LTSC. And though LTSC may have issues with certain drivers - as we did initially with the drivers for the NVidia GTX 1060 card...and which was easily resolvable, most, if not all of these issues are resolvable.

So, we obtained LTSC 2019 for $11.00CDN and are on our way with a working installation - minus all of the bloatwnare.

As a suggestion then - and this is only a suggestion mind you, 1) obtain a copy of WIN10 LTSC, 2) obtain a new SSD...M.2 if at all possible, and 3) install WIN10 LTSC on that new SSD. Having this new SSD will permit you to continue using your current configuration while you migrate to the new OS - all without the need for a complete roll-out.

Note: The only potential issue that I have experienced with the OEM and LTSC versions is if you are using an off-lease system - such as would be obtained from a "certified re-seller", you may find that upon inspection, you may discover that the OS has already been activated. This may not be an issue for some, but for "testers" - as I consider myself, a phone call may be required in order to complete the activation process. I have since discovered that a removal of the LAN cable at a particular point in the installation process, will prevent this "auto-activation" process. Or, creating a disk image on completion of the initial installation can also resolve further activation issues.

I do hope that others will find this information useful?
    Last edited by mr_es335; 10-24-2019 at 03:54 PM.

2. Default Re: OT: WIN10 Pro and WIN10 LTSC

AFAIK it is illegal to use Windows LTSC without owning an Windows Enterprise license. That's why you can't buy a LTSC license directly from Microsoft. The LTSC licenses that are sold online are "pirated". I actually feel a little discomfort every time I see someone on this forum promote the use of the LTSC version.
    Peter Olsen

Hardware: Asus Prime Z690-P D4, Intel Core i5-12600K, 8 GB ram, 500GB NVMe SSD, 2 RayDAT, 2 DSB2408 preamp/converters.

Blog Entries

Default Re: OT: WIN10 Pro and WIN10 LTSC

Peter,
    AFAIK it is illegal to use Windows LTSC without owning an Windows Enterprise license...
    ...As I noted in my post, I did have issues - initially, with a second install of LTSC.

After numerous attempts at resolving the activation issue, I was given a number to call - similar to the process that I have done in the past with XP and 7.

So, Peter, there I was, talking directly with the folks at MS with the PID that I had received with my purchase of LTSC, and which MS accepted as legitimate - at which point they provided me with a "activation code" - I forgot the actual term that was used, and Windows was them activated.
    Note: As your message is of great concern to me, Peter, I just now contacted MS and asked them to confirm my PID for Windows 10 LTSC 2019 and they have confirmed that the PID is indeed legitimate! As a result, I am not at all sure where you are obtaining your information from, but all that I can say is that the version of windows 10 LTSC that I am currently testing is legitimate. I will also be obtaining a second copy of Windows 10 LTSC from the same source for my son and will keep you appraised of that installation.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    Peter,
    ...As I noted in my post, I did have issues - initially, with a second install of LTSC.

After numerous attempts at resolving the activation issue, I was given a number to call - similar to the process that I have done in the past with XP and 7.

So, Peter, there I was, talking directly with the folks at MS with the PID that I had received with my purchase of LTSC, and which MS accepted as legitimate - at which point they provided me with a "activation code" - I forgot the actual term that was used, and Windows was them activated.
    Note: As your message is of great concern to me, Peter, I just now contacted MS and asked them to confirm my PID for Windows 10 LTSC 2019 and they have confirmed that the PID is indeed legitimate! As a result, I am not at all sure where you are obtaining your information from, but all that I can say is that the version of windows 10 LTSC that I am currently testing is legitimate. I will also be obtaining a second copy of Windows 10 LTSC from the same source for my son and will keep you appraised of that installation.
    I also have 2 ea systems with Windows 10 LTSC from bonanza.com. Both are activated via Microsoft. So Peter I am sure you would be OK using LTSC. At the time I purchased the lic they were $11 each.
    Warren
    Warren @ The Masters Tracks

5. Default Re: OT: WIN10 Pro and WIN10 LTSC

Ok. I might be misinformed.
    But ...I once spoke to a License Manager at big firm, and he told me that LTSB/LTSC was only available if you had an Enterprise license and a Volume license. Microsoft is not selling "standalone" LTSC licenses. None of the "Microsoft Partner" stores I know sell them. So I'm pretty sure the LTSC licenses that are sold on-line aren't coming directly from Microsoft. But I might be wrong.
    I found this https://community.spiceworks.com/top...0-ltsc-license that suggests that you can use LTSC without a Volume License, but the prices are a bit different than the ones mentioned here.

If you're all comfortable that a windows license that you bought for 6$ is legit then I'll shut up and move on!
    Peter Olsen

Hardware: Asus Prime Z690-P D4, Intel Core i5-12600K, 8 GB ram, 500GB NVMe SSD, 2 RayDAT, 2 DSB2408 preamp/converters.

Blog Entries

Peter,

I have been obtaining used computers from folks referred to as "off-lease" vendors - who are able to purchase used corporate-grade units at substantial discounts. These off-lease vendors are quite different from "certified vendors" in that they do not pay a fee or have to be made certified vendors, but apparently they reap the benefits - though not sure just how much, of the certified vendors.

Now, this next point is quite interesting, one of my long-time certified vendors was on vacation and I required six computers for a client. Due to immediacy concerns, I was required to seek out other sources. Once obtained I, I placed an order for these system and then made arrangements to pickup the systems. On arrival, I discovered that this off-lease vendor provided most of the systems for the certified vendor that I had been dealing with - and at substantial savings to me! Apparently my certified vendor has been obtaining systems from this off-lease vendor for years.

Now, what this really-and-truly means is that if I have had no issues whatsoever with systems purchased from the certified vendor who had been obtaining systems from the off-lease vendor, then I should have not issues obtaining the system from the off-lease vendor in the first place! Thus far, I have had no issues whatsoever! Therefore, since that time, I have been obtaining my systems from the off-lease vendor.

The purpose in mentioning all of this is that I can obtain both OEM and, when available, LTSC PIDs from both the off-lease and the certified vendors! This simply means no issues with activation!! Therefore, check to ascertain if the vendor your obtaining your product from is indeed selling off-lease products.
    * Note: The reason I obtained the LTSC version from the on-line sellers is simply the price - I am able to obtain these products at considerably cheaper prices from them. Granted, there are indeed those who are selling "pirated" licenses, so you do have to seriously read the fine print.

PS: By-the-way, I have heard "that plans succeed through wise council" - thus inferring that more than one person, and thus, opinion, are involved. After discovering that Philip had obtained a version of LTSB at an incredible price, I went through-the-ropes" of ascertaining the legitimacy of this product. And though the I could not obtain a satisfactory response from the volume license retailers - I did contact three of them, regarding such versions, I did glean the reference to both "certified vendors" and "off-lease vendors" from those conversations.

Again, I do hope that this information will be of some practicable benefit - and shall I say, piece-of-mind, as well to others?