Close

Blog Entries

Default OT: Valhalla Reverbs

Good day,

In response to HAP's query regarding "Reverbs for SAC64", I made note of what I believe to be "the best" as opposed to "the right" reverbs for use in SAC and SAW are the Valhalla reverb plug-ins!

Sean Costello, the developer of these find plug-ins, has quite the extensive background. Sean started out experimenting with Csound at the University of Washington in the late 1990s. He was hired by Staccato Systems in 1999 and worked developing physical models for video games. Staccato Systems was acquired by Analog Devices in 2001 and he began working on audio algorithms and development tools for the SHARC and Blackfin DSPs. In 2007, he began working as a consultant, developing a wide variety of audio algorithms for a variety of clients. He started Valhalla DSP in 2009 with the release of ValhallaFreqEcho. Sean approaches algorithms from a psychoacoustic perspective and enjoys creating and selling tools directly to artists. Sean has also worked with the folks at Audio Damage in the development of the Eos plug-in.

Here is an interesting recent discussion on "What is reverberation?".

As I mentioned in that post, at $50.00USD per plug-in, these plugins are a truly great value!

Sean has four reverb plug-ins in total, the Room, the Plate, the VintageVerb and the Shimmer. I would suggest starting with the VintageVerb - as I feel that this reverb is very flexible.

These plug-ins install without issue and have never failed me over the last four years. Customer support is exceptional as well.

They do have demos for you to test out:

Room Reverb Demo here...
    VintageVerb Demo here...
    Plate Demo here...

This all being said, I do have one tiny quirk with regards to his plug-ins and this quirk is with regards to the various paths that are used. In my last count there were a total of twelve different paths used, six located in the ProgramData folder and six located in the User folder. My overly sensitive and "a**l" disposition would prefer a simpler and more straightforward approach to paths.

Presets
    All of Sean's reverbs come with a variety of presets - for example, Room comes with no less than 728 presets - all organized into twelve folders. Other presets are available as well - most notably, from Steve at Synth-Presets.com. I do believe that I own all of his Steve's offerings and I must say that I am very please with all of his presets!

In closing, I sincerely believe that you owe it to yourself to check out the Valhalla reverbs - along with a smattering of Synth-Presets.com offerings as well.

I do hope that some will find this information of some practicable use?

Default Re: OT: Valhalla Reverbs

I am enjoying his 'what is reverb' video - although I had to take a break as it is more tv than I can stand in one sitting. For some reason or other I was reminded of my favorite video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzyXMEpq4qw

...after you watch this you can quit videos altogether as it doesn't get better than this!

It is about what happens in the void. Not everyone will understand - but Mr ES335 will.

Quote Originally Posted by jmh View Post
    I am enjoying his 'what is reverb' video - although I had to take a break as it is more tv than I can stand in one sitting. For some reason or other I was reminded of my favorite video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzyXMEpq4qw

...after you watch this you can quit videos altogether as it doesn't get better than this!

It is about what happens in the void. Not everyone will understand - but Mr ES335 will.
    Thank you.
    Ian Alexander
    VO Talent/Audio Producer
    www.IanAlexander.com

Blog Entries

jmh,

... Thanks for the note of encouragement...what a truly great video!!

PS: Did you notice his hands?