Close

1. Default VSTi and ini file problem

Hi , I am trying SAWTudio64Demo I have a number of VSTi such as piano and guitar VSTi , SAWStudio64 only shows some DX effects plugins as "all plugins" so I placed a ini file inside SAWStudio VST_Plugins folder but SAW crashes on opening I have tried a couple of different ones but SAW crashes on opening I assume I am not doing something quite right could someone please help? I am using windows 10
    Thanks

Blog Entries

Default Re: VSTi and ini file problem

Scott,

Not really much to go on here....

Firstly, have you looked at the User Manual...in particular, Section 10.1.1, pages 138-139, and Section 17.3, pages 196-199.

Secondly, what I learned a long time ago is that you may have to think a bit differently about how SAW accesses and uses plug-ins.

Thirdly, install two free plug-ins - one vst and one vsti and place both of these plug-in the VST_PLUGINS folder - just a they are...so no .ini files.
    * For the vst, use EpicMStudios: Dimension Plus
    * For the vsti, use 4Front: 4Front Piano

Then, create two folders within the VST_PlugIns folder, Reverb and Piano. Put each plug-in into their respective folders. The create two .ini files, reverb and piano. Here is the text for each - ensure that you have a blank line following the text.

...\VST_PlugIns\piano\4Front Piano x64.dll
    [space here]

...\VST_PlugIns\Ampsim\DimensionPlus-64.dll
    [space here]

My purpose in suggesting this procedure is that if the above works - and it does, then you know that everything is working as it should. You can then apply this new knowledge to the plugins you are attempting to use.

Lastly, if you would be so kind as to provide us with the name of one of the plug-ins you are attempting to use and the installation path to that plug-in, then we might be able to assist you more.

As I mentioned, you have not really given much to go on here.
    Last edited by mr_es335; 11-16-2019 at 06:33 PM.

Blog Entries

Scott,

By-the-way...and do forgive me for not doing so earlier..."Welcome to the Forum!"

4. Default Re: VSTi and ini file problem

Thank you Dell for your reply and the information you have provided for me I will work through it
    I have now succeeded and started getting some VSTi plugins using ini files to show in SAWStudio FX, JamVOX , Kuassa etc
    One That is still crashing SAW is Steinberg The Grand 3(SampleTank 4 is another)
    which path is C:\Program Files\Steinberg\VSTPlugins\The Grand 3\The Grand 3.dll
    so I am not sure about why this is happening but will work with the information you have provided.
    Thanks again and for your welcome

Blog Entries

Scott,

Just a couple of things...

1. May I ask why no PM'ing?
    Note: I am always curious why a newcomer to a forum does so...so please forgive my indulgence here for a moment-or-two.

2. What is it that you want to do with SAW?
    * I see SAW - and SAC for that matter, as being what they are, a particular piece of software designed to perform a specific functionality. And this is where one should also begin...and in a real sense, at the very beginning. For example, I came over from the Cubase world to SAW and I endeavored at the outset to see SAW as a replacement for Cubase. I know that for me personally this was a big mistake. In all honesty, I wish that I had originally begun with SAW as this would have solved a number of issues, first, that I would not have to in-a-real-and-true sense, unlearn what I had already learnt, and second, I would have been all that much more efficient at using SAW.

As another example, the way in which SAW handles MIDI is really-and-truly unique! With all other DAW's - at least a far as I am able to ascertain, there is MIDI and there is audio. With SAW, there is still the audio element, and there is the audio generated from MIDI. So instead of two elements, you really only have one - and that is audio, which is what y want I the first place.

This brings me to my final point, "What if SAW did not permit the use of any plug-ins at all - except for those that were designed specifically for the application? Would this hinder - or even stop someone from using that application?"

From what I have experienced on this forum and in my personal life, this singularity of SAW - and in particular the incredible singularity of the developer himself, does appear to have this effect.

In closing Scott, I am looking forward to you completing the scenarios provided previously. And once you see that all is working as it should, then I strongly recommend that you endeavor to replicate - as much as this is possible, this procedure. For example, all of the plug-ins that I use, all install in what I would refer to "portable mode". Those that are not, such as Kontakt, I make portable, by creating my own self-installer routine - inserting what ever registry keys are required to get Kontakt to work as it should. I di the same with my ampsim, Overloud's TH-U - and they even assisted me in this endeavor.

Anyhow...as one so candidly stated, "Well, there you have it!"