Close

Results 1 to 4 of 4
  1. #1

    Default Saw Studio vs Lynx Aurora(n)

    I have had nothing but problems getting SS and my Aurora(n) to work together, there is a driver problem and I am to few of a user for either party to spend the amount of time to fix this. I get it and I'm done trying. So,I will tell you what happens and end it there. Aurora(n)Thunderbolt 3 connected to PC works flawlessly using Pro Tools, Reaper, MixBus and Sampitude ProX4, but SS has this crackle when recording and records the crackle noise which you hear on playback, Months back Bob had tried helping me with this issue to no resolve. I am using a Millennia HV3D, 8 API 512c's and 2 Daking Pre 4's, giving me 24 tracks going into my Aurora(n)32TB3. I want to use SS only, so it looks like the Aurora has to go and I want to ask this group what your thoughts are on Pre's/AD/DA converters. I ordered a RME HDSPe MADI FX card today and I'm tossed at either buying either (3) Octamic XTC's or (3) Micstacy's to replace my aforementioned Pre Amps or keeping my PreAmps and purchasing the RME M-32 Pro AD Converter and using for now the headphone output of the MADI FX Card. I know that RME Cards are very good, I've used them for years, but as far as their preamps, especially the XTC's and the Micstacy's, do they hold up against API,Millennia and Daking? Note. the main interest in these preamps is that they can connect via MADI which I'm committed to using.

    Any thoughts,

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    1,187

    Default Re: Saw Studio vs Lynx Aurora(n)

    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy McLoughlin View Post
    I have had nothing but problems getting SS and my Aurora(n) to work together, there is a driver problem and I am to few of a user for either party to spend the amount of time to fix this. I get it and I'm done trying. So,I will tell you what happens and end it there. Aurora(n)Thunderbolt 3 connected to PC works flawlessly using Pro Tools, Reaper, MixBus and Sampitude ProX4, but SS has this crackle when recording and records the crackle noise which you hear on playback, Months back Bob had tried helping me with this issue to no resolve. I am using a Millennia HV3D, 8 API 512c's and 2 Daking Pre 4's, giving me 24 tracks going into my Aurora(n)32TB3. I want to use SS only, so it looks like the Aurora has to go and I want to ask this group what your thoughts are on Pre's/AD/DA converters. I ordered a RME HDSPe MADI FX card today and I'm tossed at either buying either (3) Octamic XTC's or (3) Micstacy's to replace my aforementioned Pre Amps or keeping my PreAmps and purchasing the RME M-32 Pro AD Converter and using for now the headphone output of the MADI FX Card. I know that RME Cards are very good, I've used them for years, but as far as their preamps, especially the XTC's and the Micstacy's, do they hold up against API,Millennia and Daking? Note. the main interest in these preamps is that they can connect via MADI which I'm committed to using.

    Any thoughts,

    Thanks
    I don't think you'll have any issues with any of the RME gear.

    As an alternative I've had good success with the newer MOTU gear. The 8M is 8CH preamp/AD and DA in 1U box with individual Channel Gain, Phantom Power and PAD. You can easily chain their MADI interface (M64) VIA AVB which would give you both additional general purpose pre's and the MADI interface your looking for.

    Additionally there is a headphone amp in both the 8M and the M64 interfaces.

    You can connect a single MOTU 8M to your PC via USB or Thunderbolt and then AVB the other MOTU boxes together.

    If my memory is correct USB supports 128 channels (64 in/out) and Thunderbolt will get you 256 channels (128 in/out).
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Saw Studio vs Lynx Aurora(n)

    Quote Originally Posted by cgrafx View Post
    I don't think you'll have any issues with any of the RME gear.

    As an alternative I've had good success with the newer MOTU gear. The 8M is 8CH preamp/AD and DA in 1U box with individual Channel Gain, Phantom Power and PAD. You can easily chain their MADI interface (M64) VIA AVB which would give you both additional general purpose pre's and the MADI interface your looking for.

    Additionally there is a headphone amp in both the 8M and the M64 interfaces.

    You can connect a single MOTU 8M to your PC via USB or Thunderbolt and then AVB the other MOTU boxes together.

    If my memory is correct USB supports 128 channels (64 in/out) and Thunderbolt will get you 256 channels (128 in/out).

    Thanks for responding Phil,

    I'm sure I'll be good with the RME products. I was just hoping that there was someone in this closed community that has used a Micstacy or a M-32 AD. Basically what I'm asking, am I better off keeping my preamps and getting a M-32 AD or do I go with a Micstacy which has AD conversion and connect directly to my audio card.I don't want to sacrifice sound quality. I never heard a Micstacy preamp nor have I ever run preamps thru a M-32. I don't want to ask in gearsluts because everything becomes a pissing contest. I get my best mixes using SS, but the recorded audio was done with my symphony I/O mk2 in Pro Tools and the stems were imported into SS. I want to record in SS start to finish and see my results, that is why I'm stuck right now with a Aurora(n) that does not like SS.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    1,187

    Default Re: Saw Studio vs Lynx Aurora(n)

    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy McLoughlin View Post
    Thanks for responding Phil,

    I'm sure I'll be good with the RME products. I was just hoping that there was someone in this closed community that has used a Micstacy or a M-32 AD. Basically what I'm asking, am I better off keeping my preamps and getting a M-32 AD or do I go with a Micstacy which has AD conversion and connect directly to my audio card.I don't want to sacrifice sound quality. I never heard a Micstacy preamp nor have I ever run preamps thru a M-32. I don't want to ask in gearsluts because everything becomes a pissing contest. I get my best mixes using SS, but the recorded audio was done with my symphony I/O mk2 in Pro Tools and the stems were imported into SS. I want to record in SS start to finish and see my results, that is why I'm stuck right now with a Aurora(n) that does not like SS.
    There will be some variation in the preamps but likely none that would actually impact sound quality. Every preamp will have some of its own character and in that sense you may be better off keeping your existing pre's as your already familiar with those specific characteristics.

    You would be hard pressed to notice or measure any difference in the AD converters, there really just isn't that much variation between units. You could very likely drop in cheap Behringer A/Ds and not notice any significant difference.

    There will likely be some small differences in impedance and channel gain/sensitivity so you may have to make some tweaks to the preamp output gain, but other than that there shouldn't be any sonic differences.
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •