Close

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Why doesn't SAW Studio Lite remember my audio hardware?

Quote Originally Posted by jmh View Post
    I've never liked using them. I'm partial to hot-keys (don't think there's enough for that) or maybe the good ones are used up (...and let me know if they are there and I'm just overlooking them). I've tried having F keys or alt fkey to different zmixer scrolls but I didn't tend to remember which was which and it conflicted with my main use of f-keys which is various numbers of multitrack channels.
    You say you like hotkeys, but then you say you can't remember them. I'm afraid you lost me.

With 24 different F-key views, I would think you could get by without conflicts. Just 8 of them would cover all sections of the Z mixer.

I guess what I envision is a z-minus-mixer that could remap several fractional portions of the real z-mixer.

Not sure I understand what you mean. But wouldn't stretching just the top of the F Mixer across the bottom of the screen give you access to any channel strip section of any track at any time? Or you could stretch it only far enough to show as many MT tracks as you have displayed for a given view.

All the buttons would be there, ready for you to click. Then, again, that ends up being very much like the TLZ buttons, so never mind.

How 'bout that Wide Mixer? No scrolling or jumping needed. And if it's too big to have it around all the time, assign it to an F-key view. That's how I have it set up. Though, I rarely use that view. But, if you don't like the other approaches, maybe that one would work for you?
    Last edited by Dave Labrecque; 01-25-2020 at 10:07 AM.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Get yourself something like this x-keys stick and program it for the specific views you want. They make 4, 8, 16, and larger versions. Keycaps and key function are fully customizable.

https://xkeys.com/xk8.html

Last edited by cgrafx; 01-25-2020 at 11:29 AM.
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Labrecque View Post
    You say you like hotkeys, but then you say you can't remember them. I'm afraid you lost me.
    With 24 different F-key views, I would think you could get by without conflicts. Just 8 of them would cover all sections of the Z mixer.
    Hotkeys as in keyboard bindings.

As I said, I gravitate to a mostly multitrack view with the first Fkeys for maybe 1,2,3,5,10 visible tracks. If fkeys could made to have limited functionality so they would only impact say the zmixer scroll and leave the rest of the window alone, it would be cool. Of course that becomes problematic as everyone would want different functionality.

Years ago I was headed toward wrist trouble and switched to a trackball which helped a lot. I've had a few (including expensive ones) and I don't have quite as precise positioning as a mouse particularly with long rolls - maybe I'm just not a precision user. As a result I tend to use a key whenever possible - just switching back and forth helps with the wrist issue. Anyway none of this was a top of the list feature request - but sometimes in these discussions you find the answer is already available.

Earlier in this thread, Rod had mentioned Bob's demonstration videos, which I had never seen, but just started. Already picked up a few things including the hot-track-soloing - pretty cool.

I do have a wide-mixer on one of my keys. Who knows, maybe after I see a few more videos I will get into it - but it does take up a bit of real-estate.
    Last edited by jmh; 01-25-2020 at 01:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jmh View Post
    Hotkeys as in keyboard bindings.

Still: you want 'em, but you can't remember 'em?

As I said, I gravitate to a mostly multitrack view with the first Fkeys for maybe 1,2,3,5,10 visible tracks. If fkeys could made to have limited functionality so they would only impact say the zmixer scroll and leave the rest of the window alone, it would be cool. Of course that becomes problematic as everyone would want different functionality.
    This is why Bob created the TLZ buttons, methinks. Sorry to hear about your mouse contra-indication issues.

I do have a wide-mixer on one of my keys. Who knows, maybe after I see a few more videos I will get into it - but it does take up a bit of real-estate.
    And you'd think that being a single keystroke away from getting it out of our way when we're done with it would make it a no-brainer to use. Even so, as I said, I don't use it hardly at all. What's up with that?
    Becket, Massachusetts

Can someone please enlighten me!

What and where are the TLZ buttons and what do they do?

Cheers;
    Robert V.
    www.shinustudios.com
    www.art2ear.com

Quote Originally Posted by RobertV View Post

Cheers;
    In the MultiTrack View to the left of the time readout, there's a button labeled "TLZ." Click on that and you get a pop-up listing all channels/tracks. Select one and it becomes the hottrack/hotchannel, becoming the top track of the MT and first visible channel of the Z Mixer. I don't even know what TLZ stands for. Beneath that button are eight buttons that you can click on to focus on different sections of the channel strip. Each button snaps the Z Mixer View to a specific channel strip zone.

I misspoke when I called these the TLZ buttons. I'd forgotten that TLZ is a button in its own right. I guess you could call these other ones channel strip zone navigation buttons.
    Becket, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Labrecque View Post
    In the MultiTrack View to the left of the time readout, there's a button labeled "TLZ." Click on that and you get a pop-up listing all channels/tracks. Select one and it becomes the hottrack/hotchannel, becoming the top track of the MT and first visible channel of the Z Mixer. I don't even know what TLZ stands for. Beneath that button are eight buttons that you can click on to focus on different sections of the channel strip. Each button snaps the Z Mixer View to a specific channel strip zone.

I misspoke when I called these the TLZ buttons. I'd forgotten that TLZ is a button in its own right. I guess you could call these other ones channel strip zone navigation buttons.
    There's nothing in my MT view that says TLZ....... There's a little fancy symbol that looks like an odd single quote and a blat sign and all the channel strip sections are listed below it...... Funny how I hardly ever use those, because I've gotten accustomed to my f-key views - and especially the wide mixer.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertV View Post
    They are buttons on the upper left edge of the multi-track that let you jump the scroll to various portions of the Zmixer: Eq, Dynamics, fader....

I just alt-h(ed) on them. They are actually called mixer-link-zones.

...and in answer to Dave, I just hit one of the Fkeys if I want to display more or less tracks I go one to the right or left. So no, I don't know which one is which I just sort of have my core fkeys toward the left and it kind of goes in graduations of difference (and frequency of use) toward the right. Also my views are very multi-track centric, so this arrangement works for me

Ok, I get it now!

My version of Sawstudio has an Up and Down Arrow in that Button, same functionality though!

Thanks for the heads up!

Robert V.
    Robert V.
    www.shinustudios.com
    www.art2ear.com

Quote Originally Posted by UpTilDawn View Post
    There's nothing in my MT view that says TLZ....... There's a little fancy symbol that looks like an odd single quote and a blat sign and all the channel strip sections are listed below it...... Funny how I hardly ever use those, because I've gotten accustomed to my f-key views - and especially the wide mixer.
    Must be differences in the shades we're using. That hadn't occurred to me.

Do you have your F-key Views programmed to show different channel strip sections on the Z Mixer? If not, how do you get to them? That's what I use these buttons for.
    Becket, Massachusetts