Close

Default Problem Installing Graphics Cards (Sorry for long post)

I'm trying to track down the source of some intermittent static in Saw Studio and SAC. After trying various settings in options. I thought perhaps my graphics configuration might be the cause. I recently went back to using two monitors so I can keep plugins on the second monitor.

I’m using a 40” 4K TV at 3840 X 2160 / 60 Hz scaled at 150% for the primary monitor and a 32” TV at 1920 X 1080 for the second monitor. I noticed the noise after installing the second graphics card. Both cards are nVidia cards. In the past Bob has recomended using Radeon cards so I purchased two Gigabyte RX 550 cards to hopefully fix the issue. (One card has to be able to run at 3820 X 2160 / 60 Hz)

I went with two cards since the monitors operate atdifferent resolutions. I wasn’t sure a single card that supports multiple monitors would support monitors with different resolutions. I could be mistaken. I normally don’t have a lot of issues installing hardware but I am unable to get these two cards to work after multilpe installs of the latest driver.

Device Manager shows both cards operating properly although the events tab in properties on the second card shows this.
    Device PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_67FF&SUBSYS_230B1458&REV_FF\4&1b9 ac3f3&0&0030 requires further installation.

Tried to update the driver but I get a “Driver is up to date” with no other options. At this point if I want to use two monitors I will have to revert to using the nVidia cards.

Hardware / Software
    Motherboard MSI P55 GD 65, it’s discontinued but I have the last bios update
    16GB DDR3 Ram, CPU is a Core i5 655K (two cores)

Windows 10 SB 64
    Latest 32 bit versions of SAC and Saw Studio

Thanks for any ideas in resolving the issue. Maybe it’s an issue with the Windows version I’m using.

William Bushnell

Default Re: Problem Installing Graphics Cards (Sorry for long post)

Quote Originally Posted by William Bushnell View Post
    I'm trying to track down the source of some intermittent static in Saw Studio and SAC. After trying various settings in options. I thought perhaps my graphics configuration might be the cause. I recently went back to using two monitors so I can keep plugins on the second monitor.

I’m using a 40” 4K TV at 3840 X 2160 / 60 Hz scaled at 150% for the primary monitor and a 32” TV at 1920 X 1080 for the second monitor. I noticed the noise after installing the second graphics card. Both cards are nVidia cards. In the past Bob has recomended using Radeon cards so I purchased two Gigabyte RX 550 cards to hopefully fix the issue. (One card has to be able to run at 3820 X 2160 / 60 Hz)

I went with two cards since the monitors operate atdifferent resolutions. I wasn’t sure a single card that supports multiple monitors would support monitors with different resolutions. I could be mistaken. I normally don’t have a lot of issues installing hardware but I am unable to get these two cards to work after multilpe installs of the latest driver.

Device Manager shows both cards operating properly although the events tab in properties on the second card shows this.
    Device PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_67FF&SUBSYS_230B1458&REV_FF\4&1b9 ac3f3&0&0030 requires further installation.

Tried to update the driver but I get a “Driver is up to date” with no other options. At this point if I want to use two monitors I will have to revert to using the nVidia cards.

Hardware / Software
    Motherboard MSI P55 GD 65, it’s discontinued but I have the last bios update
    16GB DDR3 Ram, CPU is a Core i5 655K (two cores)

Windows 10 SB 64
    Latest 32 bit versions of SAC and Saw Studio

Thanks for any ideas in resolving the issue. Maybe it’s an issue with the Windows version I’m using.

William Bushnell
    A single card will support monitors of different resolutions as long as it is designed to support more than one monitor. Try your setup with a single graphics card. I'd even go back to the single nVidia card if that was working for you originally.
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

Blog Entries

William,

Not meaning to sound impertinent here...but would such issues at this not best be resolved by looking for more local assistance?

Sure, you can look at the specs and such...but having the actual hardware in front of you and then ascertaining just how to resolve such issues much more efficiently.

All that I - or anyone really for that matter, can offer you is best guesses.

Also, may I ask what the "SB" is referring to in Windows 10? Did you mean LTS? If so, then Windows is not your issue here.

Lastly, I would strongly suggest using just a single video card...

So far, every time I have used one video card with two monitors with different resolutions, it has worked just fine. I suggest you try with just one card with both monitors. You will not do any damage if it doesn't work. The only issue I can think of is if the combined resolution of the monitors exceeds the maximum for one card.
    Cary B. Cornett
    aka "Puzzler"
    www.chinesepuzzlerecording.com

Noise? Physical from the computer? Video?

Audio Stream? Try turning up buffer sizes for your interface (and if this worked, I would think your 2 card version of saw can handle less of a load). Maybe the same graphic interrupt sometimes having to service 2 routines vying for the same resources pushing other functions down in priority. You might try assigning saw to a particular cpu-core and your interface driver to another. I've done this type of thing in linux (when I was getting paid). Don't really know how in windows - only that you can consume a lot of time trying. Also you might try the simple first like blast the cards and jacks and connectors with air & contact cleaner. Anyway as suggested, a one-card solution is likely the quickest way home...
    Last edited by jmh; 01-30-2020 at 06:03 AM.