Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default OT: Audio Effects Categories

Good day,

I sincerely hope that all are doing well in light of the current situation?

I am pristinely writing an article on audio effects and am seeking assistance from the forum community on how you personally categorize audio effects - in particular, as there appears to be some apparent inconsistencies that I have been observing.

Thus far, the following is what I have been able to ascertain:

Dynamic: Compression, Distortion
    Distortion: Boosters, Fuzz, Overdrive
    Time-Based: Delay, Echo, Reverb
    Filter: Filter Bank, Wah-wah
    Modifier: Analogue Sequencer, LFO, Step Sequencer
    Modulation: Chorus, Flanger, Phaser, Rotator, Tremolo
    Pitch: Octaver
    Spectral: EQ, Panning
    Tools: Cross-over, Looper, Splitter
    Special: Amp, Cabinet, Ring Modulator, Tuner

If you would be so kind as to peruse the above listing and either detract-from or add-to the above - all would be great appreciated!

Thank you,

Default Re: OT: Audio Effects Categories

On the surface (and coming from the perspective of a fellow guitarist as well), it appears to me that part of what you're seeing is the often conflicting labeling and categorization of various effects as they are used in the effect pedal and multi-effect box world, as compared with those in the pc daw software world and traditional "pro" studio effects and mixing desks. There are often discrepancies found even within those two worlds.
    I see the differences as being similar to those we see in the use of words like vibrato vs. tremolo in amps and the guitar whammy bar (in days past), or envelop filter vs. auto-wah pedals... or phase vs. polarity, for that matter.

I do think I might have some changes and/or additions to your list. I might post those when I get some time later today.

Interesting...

Here's some thought I have on your list. I hope this is useful for you.

Dynamic: Compression, (I would add Noise Gate) (personally, I wouldn't put Distortion in this category, even if it does its own natural comression of a signal)

Distortion: Boosters, Fuzz, Overdrive (again, I wouldn't put boosters in the distortion category, even if many of them have the ability to overdrive to the distortion level, that's not their usual purpose)

Time-Based: Delay, Echo, Reverb (Echo and Delay used to be the same thing. I wonder if specifying Analog Delay and Digital Delay, or even Tape Echo would serve to distinguish these better?)

Filter: Filter Bank, Wah-wah, (I would add envelope filter)

Modifier: Analogue Sequencer, LFO, Step Sequencer

Modulation: Chorus, Flanger, Phaser, Rotator, Tremolo, (I would add vibrato - it's not the same as tremolo as some think of it)

Pitch: Octaver (there are pedals that can sweep pitch)

Spectral: EQ, Panning, (I would add Stereo Widening)

Tools: Cross-over, Looper, Splitter (Loopers - there's a term that's been terribly abused in the pedal world lately)

Special: Amp, Cabinet, Ring Modulator, Tuner (amp and cabinet should be qualified with the term "simulator", if we're talking about effects) - (Isn't ring modulation a "Modulation" effect? - It should go up there, I think)
    Last edited by UpTilDawn; 03-20-2020 at 10:14 AM.

Blog Entries

UpTilDown,

Great additions and points-of-view here...

I would agree on the use the of "amp simulation" and/or "amp modeling". The same goes for "boosters".

Thanks for the addition of vibrato, stereo widening, and the reassignment of the effect "ring modulator" - I mean, just look at the name itself, ring modulator!

For interest, what of the differences between "distortion", "fuzz" and "overdrive"? For example:

• Distortion: Refers to the overall effect of altering an audio signal to make it rougher, with greater harmonic saturation, more audible overtones, and more sustain than a clean signal.
    • Fuzz: Refers to a special type of distortion where harmonic overtones dominate the overall sound.
    • Overdrive: Refers to the sound made by a tube amp that is "pushed" to that amps operating limit.

And what of "limiters"?
    Last edited by mr_es335; 03-20-2020 at 10:49 AM.

To my mind and pretty much every young guitarist today, I think that those three categories are as you state and define them have become the 3 classes of distortion that most of those effects fall into (with many offering overlapping parameters). All 3 are prominent in effects pedals, as well as software plugins.
    I'm actually surprised that such clear distinctions have been drawn sometimes, since I grew up with a fuzz box as my first distortion pedal (designed and built by my dad and me). In my mind there was no distinction at that time, although we did definitely understand the different affect of using either of the two different transistor types - npn vs. pnp. I clearly hear the difference today and I think those classifications are justified.

Yeah - limiters absolutely (you find those built in to a lot of bass amps) - like noise gates, compressors, etc. although in pedal usage, isn't a limiter part of the compressor pedal goal?

>>Spectral: EQ, Panning, (I would add Stereo Widening)<<

I wouldn't consider panning or stereo widening as spectral operations. Panning (as with "balance" on a stereo source) is simply a matter of the signal level differential between output channels that a source is routed to. I would add MS processing to this part, although there's the phase flip in that, too, right? It's been so long; I can't even remember the inner-workings of MS.

Stereo widening involves time-domain manipulations (delays), IIRC, not spectral stuff, right? Although there may be some spectral discrimination going on, sometimes, there, I suppose.

Don't forget to add "vocal eliminator" to your list.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Labrecque View Post
    >>Spectral: EQ, Panning, (I would add Stereo Widening)<<

I wouldn't consider panning or stereo widening as spectral operations. Panning (as with "balance" on a stereo source) is simply a matter of the signal level differential between output channels that a source is routed to. I would add MS processing to this part, although there's the phase flip in that, too, right? It's been so long; I can't even remember the inner-workings of MS.

Stereo widening involves time-domain manipulations (delays), IIRC, not spectral stuff, right? Although there may be some spectral discrimination going on, sometimes, there, I suppose.

Don't forget to add "vocal eliminator" to your list.
    I see what you're saying, but it doesn't seem to be the way the stereo widening effect is categorized in applications - Seems to me that the stereo widening effects plugs I've used give the user a very "spectral-like" view of its operation... does that make sense?... I don't know.

here are a few I didn't see listed :-) I'm not getting specific about categories

Pitch: Whammy (pedal), Ring Modulator
    Modulation: vibe, vibratone, LFO (in a parameter automation sense)
    LoFi: bit crusher, decimator effect like on a Strymon Mobius or Fender's "Resolver" effect
    Dynamics: sustainer, expander, multi-band compression (and eq)
    i7 8700K| ASRock Z370 Fatal1ty| 64GB Corsair Vengeance LED DDR4-3000| Palit GeForce 1050ti KalmX| RME UFX+| Win10 Pro (21H2) / Win 7 Pro 64| Propellerhead Reason 10 & 8.3| SawStudio Full64| Drawmer MC2.1| Adam A7X| Avantone MixCubes| Gibson 74-75 Byrdland & ES355 '64 RI| Lexicon PCM80 & 81| MesaBoogie TriAxis| Peavey Rock Master| Digitech GSP2101 Dual| RJM RG-16| Masotti MXM| VHT2902 & 2562| EV 12L Classics| Fender Cybertwin FE & SE| Sound Devices 722| Rode K2 & WGII| Sennheiser MKE2| DPA6060

Then there,s "secret sauce". Wonder what all comes under that culinary heading?

Quote Originally Posted by UpTilDawn View Post
    I see what you're saying, but it doesn't seem to be the way the stereo widening effect is categorized in applications - Seems to me that the stereo widening effects plugs I've used give the user a very "spectral-like" view of its operation... does that make sense?... I don't know.
    Not sure what you mean by "spectral-like" view. Like a left-to-right stereo field graphic? Or an actual frequency spectrum view of some kind? If the latter, I clearly don't know anything about how stereo widening works.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts