Close

Default Old Message, New Inability To Solve Problem

I have recently attempted some new SAW projects on a Windows 10 platform and encountered the venerable "One or more Outputs assigned to an inactive Out-Device" message. My output channel 1 is assigned to (Output 01). The soundfiles play fine in Windows Media Player but not SAW. What must I look for? Thank you.

Default Re: Old Message, New Inability To Solve Problem

Seems to me that some channel must be assigned to an inactive output. It doesn't necessarily need to be the channel you are using. Is it possible that you are working from a record or mix template that has other outputs assigned for some purpose?

Is it possible you were using a different audio interface in the original session?

Or maybe had an ADAT box connected to your interface and now it isn't?

Also, you MUST turn on and connect the interface before SS starts.

Are the files playing through the same interface in Windows Media Player?

Keep giving us info and we'll help you sort it out.
    Ian Alexander
    VO Talent/Audio Producer
    www.IanAlexander.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Snape View Post
    I have recently attempted some new SAW projects on a Windows 10 platform and encountered the venerable "One or more Outputs assigned to an inactive Out-Device" message. My output channel 1 is assigned to (Output 01). The soundfiles play fine in Windows Media Player but not SAW. What must I look for? Thank you.
    Sometimes that happens when you're sound card setup has changed (by some option or other app).

Here's a hard-knock way to solve the problem.
    1. Change Saw "Menu>Options>Audio Driver Model> (from ASIO to High Performance Multi-Media)
    2. Change SAW "Menu>Options>Audio Device Setup> (input and output devices as needed for EDL Mix setup)
    Now you can 'multi-task' your sound card, even though another device is using it.
    (Switch back to ASIO for better performance later)
    Carl G.
    Voice Talent/Audio Producer
    www.creativetrax.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Snape View Post
    A way to ensure you have all your output assignments set to a specific channel is to:
    1. Left click on the "O" to choose the Output from the IRO Multitrack Section Jump Zone.
    2. Make sure the Z mixer is open on the left with the track assignment section showing, and not covering your track numbers.
    3. Left click on the first track.
    4. Use your keyboard's down arrow to scroll through the channels while watching the channel assignment on the Z mixer.
    5. If all are assigned to your desired channel, you should be able to play back the audio (assuming your inputs are all assigned to that channel as well.

Hope this helps.
    Richard
    Green Valley Recording
    My cats have nine lives; my life has nine cats.

Many thanks to all for responding. I had overlooked the assignment selection. Stupid me.
    Ed