Close

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Recording in SAW

Good day,

After playing-around with some 2-3 seconds wave files inserted into four different tracks, seeing how the various record functions worked, I then recorded a 4-part electric guitar piece. I think that I am finally getting the hang of recording in SAW...and when you think about it...recording in SAW IS surprisingly simply.

This session - AM_Session, took me a total of ten minutes....so my first ever recording!!! Not much I know...but I do believe that I am finally on my way!

PS: Thanks Bob for creating a wonderful piece of software .. . and that only gets better each and every time I use it!

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    This session - AM_Session, took me a total of ten minutes....so my first ever recording!!! Not much I know...but I do believe that I am finally on my way!
    Sounds good, Dell. Nice start.

One thing you'll want to do is insert a loudness meter (such as the one Dave supplied a link to here the other day) into the output channel in SAW so that when you mix down you can adjust the volume of your output channel such that the resulting file will be at a similar average volume level to other recorded music. In fact, the streaming sites require it. You can't judge by just listening to it because SAC will be involved in the monitor output volume level.

One of the potential gotchas of using SAW/SAC together (although I also recommend it anyway) is that your tendency may be to make adjustments to volume, etc, with a playback channel control in SAC - which won't be captured in the final output mix file produced by SAW. Similarly, any effects you add in a playback channel in SAC won't transfer to the output file because output monitoring in SAC happens after output to the file produced by SAW in the signal chain. You will know you have been caught by this one if it sounds terrific when you monitor the multi-track, but too quiet or too loud when the resulting file is played anywhere else. If that seems obvious - sorry. I have been caught by that one more than once so it seemed worthwhile to at least get it out there. But, if it doesn't seem obvious, then think through where various functions happen within the linear signal chain when you mix down to a file.

Of course, if you turn up the output volume in SAW, you'll have to turn down the playback volume in SAC when you monitor it.

Blog Entries

John,

Thanks for the tips...however recording was completed in SAW alone.

In this recording, I was not looking to do anything fancy...just attempting to get my head around how SAW handles recording.
    Last edited by mr_es335; 08-26-2020 at 02:49 PM.