Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default Recording in SAW

Good day,

I hope that all are doing well?

I was just wondering if someone would be so kind as to draft out a quick step-by-step guide to recording in SAW?

I thought that I had a handle to recording n SAW...but apparently not!

What I want to do is to record guitar on Track 1 and then to hear that playback. I am using a UMC202HD, guitar in input 1.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated?

PS: I have looked at Matt's videos...but these videos are not specific..or might it be...simple, enough for my style of learning?
    Last edited by mr_es335; 04-14-2020 at 05:51 AM.

2. Default Re: Recording in SAW

Have you tried looking up Matt's (Micro Studio) YouTube videos or visiting his website learnsawstudio? The original videos I thought were a pretty good overview.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Recording in SAW

Adam,
    The original videos I thought were a pretty good overview.
    ...Maybe so, but I find them very difficult to follow. I simply need the videos to be more focused...such as provided in Martin's videos.
    * Note: Interestingly, I bought these videos way-back-when, then within a month or so, they were provided for free.

Not to deviate from my original posting, but I do have the following two questions:

Q1: I would assume that I do not touch the [Input Source] settings - thus leaving the [Input Source] settings at the default of [MultiTrk]...correct?
    R1:

Q2: Is there any reason(s) for altering the [Input Source] settings to [Dev ##]?
    R2:

Thanks I advance again....
    Last edited by mr_es335; 04-14-2020 at 06:11 AM.

For me, recording always starts with file organization. If you don't explicitly tell the recording dialog where the files go, they might not end up where you expect. I make sure I have an Audio subfolder in the session folder. In the record dialog, I click "setup" and make sure to navigate the master file name to that folder. After I hit "save", I go to select the source, which would be a mono input, as you said, input one. With that done, you hit "Ready" so you can set your record level.

I am assuming that you are recording direct from pickup, and will apply whatever amp sim to the playback of the recorded track.
    Cary B. Cornett
    aka "Puzzler"
    www.chinesepuzzlerecording.com

Blog Entries

Good day,

Here is what I have been able to ascertain thus far...

Ensure that Options > Auto Audio-Monitor Switching Protocol, is set to Tape Style - Playback / Input Switching.
    • I do believe that this was my initial problem in that I was not hearing the pre-recorded signal - that is, when Record > Ready was enabled. I SAW - pardon the pun, levels on the meters, but heard no output.

Select the correct device [Input] on the [Record] meter.
    • I set this to Mono Devices > 01

Enable [Ready]

Check levels
    • I assume that this level adjusment is performed entirely on the audio interface being used...correct?

Enable [Record]

When completed, select [Stop]

Would the above be a correct scenario?

Watch one of my old band recording videos on the website... it shows how to assign the input sources and arm the tracks and overdub.

Bob L

Blog Entries

Bob,
    Watch one of my old band recording videos on the website... it shows how to assign the input sources and arm the tracks and overdub.
    ... Will do...thanks Bob.

A few questions:

I assume that this level adjustment is performed entirely on the audio interface being used...correct?
    What is the preferred setting for Options > Auto Audio-Monitor Switching Protocol?
    • There are four options.
    Do the tracks get the signal from the device ins or from the MultiTrack?
    Last edited by mr_es335; 04-14-2020 at 05:11 PM.

Blog Entries

Good day,

I would very much appreciate some assistance with the following...

A few questions:

1. I assume that this level adjustment is performed entirely on the audio interface being used...correct?

2. What is the preferred setting for Options > Auto Audio-Monitor Switching Protocol?
    • There are four options: 1) Off, 2) RME ZLM Protocol, 3) Tape Style - Playback / Input Switching, and 4) Tape Style - Input Always On.

3. Do the tracks get the signal from the device ins or from the MultiTrack?

Thanks in advance!!

Dell, do you own a copy of SAC?
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

Blog Entries

Philip,

Yes I do...both 32-bit and 64-bit!!

I also do use SAC and SAW in tandem with my live rig...using the Control track in SAW for triggering Scenes in SAC