Close

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Recording in SAW

I'd highly recommend using SAC as the front end to SAW for recording as well. Its much easier to deal with from a monitoring standpoint.

No need to worry about live mode in SAW your previous question. 1) Off, 2) RME ZLM Protocol, 3) Tape Style - Playback / Input Switching, and 4) Tape Style - Input Always On.

Monitoring and live channel assignments are done in SAC and SAW just looks like a big tape recorder.
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

Blog Entries

Philip,

As always, thank you...I will give that a "shot-or-two".

Update: To hear playback of the session, do you have configure a "return" channel in SAC?
    Last edited by mr_es335; 04-15-2020 at 06:00 PM.

Blog Entries

Good day,

One more time...my requests/questions...

1. I was just wondering if someone would be so kind as to draft out a quick step-by-step guide to recording in SAW?
    * Note: I am willing to pay for this...

2. I would assume that I do not touch the [Input Source] settings - thus leaving the [Input Source] settings at the default of [MultiTrk]...correct?

3. Is there any reason(s) for altering the [Input Source] settings to [Dev ##]?

4. I assume that this level adjustment is performed entirely on the audio interface being used...correct?

5. What is the preferred setting for Options > Auto Audio-Monitor Switching Protocol?
    • There are four options.

6. Do the tracks get the signal from the device ins or from the MultiTrack?

I am feeling rather "stalled" ... so any help would be greatly appreciated! Remote-in via AnyDesk is also possible.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    Philip,

As always, thank you...I will give that a "shot-or-two".

Update: To hear playback of the session, do you have configure a "return" channel in SAC?
    Yes, you need a return channel in SAC. You can do this on any input channel. Just select one of the SAW master output channels as the source.

SAC PLAYBACK CHANNELS
    -------------------------------------
    you can see here where I have assigned two playback channels -
    One for system sounds so I can get playback from things like youtube. (This was done by routing the internal motherboard audio output internally to my RME card.)
    and the second channel for SAW Studio playback

SAC PLAYBACK CHANNEL ASSIGNMENT
    SAW Studio playback is routed by selecting one of the SAW Studio channels (in my case I'm using the SS Master output 1)

SAW STUDIO RECORD CHANNEL SELECTION
    Then on the SAW studio side, when I'm recording I can select any SAC input channel as the source for the record track.

Last edited by cgrafx; 04-16-2020 at 01:03 PM.
    Philip G.

Blog Entries

Philip,

I kinda' figur'd that ... thanks for the confirmation.
    * Note: I use this functionality for returning the audio in SAW for backing tracks in SAC...pretty neat feature indeed!!

Though I am not ashamed of being "a**l-retentive" - I do know that this peculiarity of mine can be both quite bothersome and frustrating to some.

Someone whom I had great respect for, told me that a good instructor was someone who never-ever assumed the obvious...and though he never coined the phrase, he told me that to do so was to "make an a**-out of you-and-me". Even since then, I have, as my wife informs me, often, taken measures to ensure that this situation does not occur with me! So, I humbly ask that you do forgive this slight of mine!

For example, take the phrase "punch-in/punch-out". I recently asked two folks who both have studios what this phrase meant, and though both could show me, neither could explain to me what this meant. And, in all honesty, I personally come across this situation many, many times - where I am demonstrated a function rather that hearing an explanation of that function.

Thus, the present predicament - if we can indeed refer to this all as?

Lastly, I am also a firm believer in "learning a thing without the thing" - at least, as much as this IS possible!
    * Note: This being said, if anyone who is a guitar player requires assistance with the fundamental of guitar technique, then let me know. I have authored over 900+ pages of instructional material for guitar technique. I have also scored all of my own instructional repertoire. Yu can see some of this on my You Tube channel.

Anyhow, I am still requiring assistance with recording in SAWStudio to anyone that is interested...and I will every happy to remunerate you for your time.
    Last edited by mr_es335; 04-16-2020 at 01:07 PM.

PM Sent
    Philip G.

"make an a**-out of you-and-me" - I can personally guarantee that the US military has known about this for over 50 years. The DIs could even draw a representation on a chalk board probably indicating that some generation before them actually had knowledge of it.

the phrase "punch-in/punch-out" - That is a phrase left over from the tape days when a physical button was actually 'punched' to start (in) or stop (out) recording - most commonly used when doing overdubs.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    Good day,

I would very much appreciate some assistance with the following...

A few questions:

1. I assume that this level adjustment is performed entirely on the audio interface being used...correct?

2. What is the preferred setting for Options > Auto Audio-Monitor Switching Protocol?
    ***8226; There are four options: 1) Off, 2) RME ZLM Protocol, 3) Tape Style - Playback / Input Switching, and 4) Tape Style - Input Always On.

3. Do the tracks get the signal from the device ins or from the MultiTrack?

Thanks in advance!!
    Input level (rec level) is typically done on the physical interface, yes.

Preferred setting for audio monitor switching is personal preference or task-specific. I usually go with OFF, and use my external hardware for monitoring mixing. Sometimes it's handy to have SAW do the monitor (in vs. out) mixing for you, though. Try the different approaches to understand the differences. I think it's all pretty well explained in the Help. RE: RME ZLM Protocol... IIRC, this allows you to do in-the-box monitor mixing with no latency (using the RME protocol/drivers), but only with RME hardware, of course. Whereas the tape style options suffer the latency of SAW's settings, necessarily. Sorry to be so vague. I haven't used these settings in a long while.

The input switching option can be handy when you're moving back and forth between tracking and playback a lot. Which is more typical, I think. Always on means you're always hearing the input, which can be annoying if you don't always want to be hearing the input.

>>Do the tracks get the signal from the device ins or from the MultiTrack? <<

Device ins, typically. If there's audio on a track, and you record on that track, you'll record right over the existing audio. However, in addition to mono and stereo device inputs, you can also select different MT tracks as the input for a given record track. E.g., you can set track 2's record source as track 1, and track 1 data will be recorded on track 1. Not sure why you'd want to do that, but maybe it's intended as a way to re-assign record inputs if tracks' input sources are set to input devices and not "MultiTrk". I'm still not clear on what that would gain you, so I'm probably missing something, here.

Haven't played with most of these options in a long time, so others may want to check my work.
    Last edited by Dave Labrecque; 04-17-2020 at 09:07 AM.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Blog Entries

Dave,

Thanks for the reply...much appreciated...

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Labrecque View Post
    ....in addition to mono and stereo device inputs, you can also select different MT tracks as the input for a given record track. E.g., you can set track 2's record source as track 1, and track 1 data will be recorded on track 1. Not sure why you'd want to do that, but maybe it's intended as a way to re-assign record inputs if tracks' input sources are set to input devices and not "MultiTrk". I'm still not clear on what that would gain you, so I'm probably missing something, here.
    Here's a use for that: to separate out a stereo file to two separate (Left/Right) mono files, for use in other DAWs or different effects in SawStudio.

Make a copy of your stereo file and place them in time alignment on two separate tracks.
    1. Switch the top track "Mono" option to "Left" and pan it left (So only Left channel is feeding left side.
    2. Switch bottom track "Mono" option to "Right and pan it right (so only Right channel is feeding left side.
    Below those tracks, set a track's record input option to record the #1 track you set up above.
    Below that track, set another track's record input option to record the #2 track you set up above.

Highlight the area of that file
    Back up the cursor a couple of seconds.
    Punch SRP, and REC (or spacebar, then Enter).
    BAM! You have two separate files (one for left channel and one for right channel).

One of the advantages of doing this (rather than simply splitting the file) is that you can process sides separately as needed.
    Carl G.
    Voice Talent/Audio Producer
    www.creativetrax.com