Close

Default Play buffer over-run

I sometimes have session playback stop with a "play buffer over-run" message.
    After so many times that I have seen this, I want to understand it better.
    What is it exactly?
    What are the likely causes?
    What is the best strategy to reduce or eliminate it?
    Cary B. Cornett
    aka "Puzzler"
    www.chinesepuzzlerecording.com

Default Re: Play buffer over-run

Something has bogged down the system enough to keep the buffer data from flowing and there was no data available when the soundcard called for the next buffer.

Sometimes a usb drive may be too slow to keep up with recording or playback of a dense session... also... keep in mind many vst plugins can be very cpu intensive and cause system overload... etc.

Bob L

In this case, all session files are on an internal drive. The session has something over 50 audio tracks so far, and there will be more. As for plugins, I have up a couple of Ultrafunk compressors and one Ultrafunk EQ. There is only one VSTi in the session right now, Plogue Sforzando. The rest of the EQ and dynamics in the session is all the internal console stuff.

Is the remedy to increase playback buffers? Which is better larger size or more of them? Will this increase latency of live monitoring of a VSTi?
    Cary B. Cornett
    aka "Puzzler"

Quote Originally Posted by Cary B. Cornett View Post
    In this case, all session files are on an internal drive. The session has something over 50 audio tracks so far, and there will be more. As for plugins, I have up a couple of Ultrafunk compressors and one Ultrafunk EQ. There is only one VSTi in the session right now, Plogue Sforzando. The rest of the EQ and dynamics in the session is all the internal console stuff.

Is the remedy to increase playback buffers? Which is better larger size or more of them? Will this increase latency of live monitoring of a VSTi?
    You'll want to increase the buffer size not quantity.

Yes this increases the live latency monitoring. If you also own a copy of SAC I'd highly recommend utilizing that as the live monitoring solution which also has the benefit of effectively uncoupling SAW Studio from that duty entirely. You can run very relaxed buffer settings on SAW Studio and still achieve real-time monitoring through SAC.
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

The old UltraFunk plugins sufferred from the runaway increasing processing time when the buffer data gets close to zero.... this could be causing the buffer overrun if the plugins are trying to process blank sections of tracks... bypass those plugs and see if the problem goes away... if so... use different plugs or try using the Auto Bypass FX option on the multitrack popup track menu (right-click track label).

You can see if this is the problem by noticing the percentage meters at the top of the multitrack during playback... as you playback in blank track sections (no regions), the percentage load will start increasing until you get the buffer overrun.

Bob L

Quote Originally Posted by cgrafx View Post
    You'll want to increase the buffer size not quantity.

Yes this increases the live latency monitoring. If you also own a copy of SAC I'd highly recommend utilizing that as the live monitoring solution which also has the benefit of effectively uncoupling SAW Studio from that duty entirely. You can run very relaxed buffer settings on SAW Studio and still achieve real-time monitoring through SAC.
    That's fine if the live monitoring is from external (outside the box) sources, but my concern in this case is the ability to play VSTi's live, driven by midi from tracks in MWS. When I am recording midi, I need to be able to hear the instrument sounds with low latency. SAC can't do that for me.
    Cary B. Cornett
    aka "Puzzler"

That's fine if the live monitoring is from external (outside the box) sources, but my concern in this case is the ability to play VSTi's live, driven by midi from tracks in MWS. When I am recording midi, I need to be able to hear the instrument sounds with low latency. SAC can't do that for me.
    Why can't SAC do that for you? Hook up your VSTi's in SAC and they should respond just like they do in SAW, or use a live VSTi host like GigPerformer for the instruments (if needed).
    Philip G.

Quote Originally Posted by cgrafx View Post
    Why can't SAC do that for you? Hook up your VSTi's in SAC and they should respond just like they do in SAW, or use a live VSTi host like GigPerformer for the instruments (if needed).
    Yes, only how can midi from MWS in SAW get to a VSTi in SAC? This is about music arrangement and production, not live performance.
    Cary B. Cornett
    aka "Puzzler"

Yes, only how can midi from MWS in SAW get to a VSTi in SAC? This is about music arrangement and production, not live performance.
    Asked and answered by Bob in a previous thread

http://www.sawstudiouser.com/forums/...635#post196635
    Philip G.

I am using a product called LoopMidi... it allows you to setup virtual midi ports that actlike hardware ports... they are system wide... you can use them from one program to the other as if you are physically patching midi cables from one hardware port to another.

I find this product works for me with less interference issues than MidiOx virtual ports.

Bob L