Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RME QUESTION

Default RME QUESTION

Hey gang.
    Are we still in love with the RME 9652? Going to be upgrading soon so I can do some music recording. (for years I've been doing only sound design for film post on SAW) therefore, I didn't really need multitrack. Going back to my roots in my old age and want to start recording more music. I'll be upgrading SAWSTUDIO to 64 soon, as soon as the virus settles down and I can go back to work. I'm thinking about getting into the Behringer ADA 8200s with the Midas preamps. I know its only 48 kHz, but for my needs, "that'll do pig" (a quote from the movie Babe, if you're confused). To my stunted understandings, that will give me 24 inputs to play with and maybe i/o some of my vintage rack toys (including my beloved Loft 440 delay/flanger) and some others like my DBX 160A two channel etc. Am I heading in the right direction? the 9652 still looks like the most bang for the buck out there.
    I'll be supporting the usual suspects, full drum kit (maybe up to 10 inputs or so), Hammond organ with Leslie, electric and acoustic guitars (stereo mic and direct), bass (mic and direct), keys (Arturia V7 thru Keylab 61), and a few vintage synths (pre midi), percussion and a few other other oddities and sidemen as the waters take us. Some of this will be "hot sessions" with most, if not all of this in play.
    If I'm correct in my 24 track imaginings per the 9652, I'll probably max the ADAs out to 24 tracks. In other news, I'll be heading out to Old Tuscon Studios to production mix a new feature for INSP Network as soon as we get clearance; I did the location production mixing on their last three features and the Kendrick Brothers latest movie, "Overcomer". Booya Hope everyone is doing well out there. Thanks for listening, appreciate you folks.

Teddy Hallaron

Default Re: RME QUESTION

The HDSP9652's work fine. They are still well supported by RME.

The ADA8200 Behringer units are a lot of bang for the buck.

The few drawbacks I found are
    1. No Input Pad
    2. The gain knobs (unlike the previous model) are not detented so if you need to go back and forth between different gain settings is a little hit or miss.
    3. Phantom power is all or nothing (turns on or off for all channels at once)

Other than that they work very nicely.
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

Hi Teddy. I have an RME RayDat card available in case you're interested. I don't have any of the breakout cables for it but it's otherwise mint.

Cheers,
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Naturally Digital View Post
    Hi Teddy. I have an RME RayDat card available in case you're interested. I don't have any of the breakout cables for it but it's otherwise mint.

Cheers,
    Dave

Thanks Dave. what are you asking for it? Sweetwater has them for $950. I guess this is considered an upgrade from the 9652 because of the PCIe?? And 8 more channels of i/o ?? Do you think its a better way to go? I'm still a little fuzzy about utilizing it properly.
    I'd love to hear back from you, although I'm going to need another serious project under my belt before I can move on anything right now. Thanks for the response.
    Teddy

Teddy Hallaron

I've got both cards. My studio system utilizes two 9562 Cards and my Live rig utilizes a RayDAT.

I can't say that I've noticed any difference between the two. If you already have the HDSP9652 than there really isn't any reason to change.

If your starting from scratch, than the RayDAT card is certainly a good option, although there are alternatives available that will also work depending on the Audio Interfaces you want to use.

There are USB, Dante and AVB interfaces that are also perfectly suitable for building a system around, but they will set you back more budget wise.

If your set on using the ADA8200's, then the RME cards are going to provide a very stable option.
    Philip G.

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy Hallaron View Post
    Thanks Dave. what are you asking for it? Sweetwater has them for $950. I guess this is considered an upgrade from the 9652 because of the PCIe?? And 8 more channels of i/o ?? Do you think its a better way to go? I'm still a little fuzzy about utilizing it properly.
    I'd love to hear back from you, although I'm going to need another serious project under my belt before I can move on anything right now. Thanks for the response.
    Teddy
    You're welcome Teddy. Yes, it's very similar to the 9652 only newer so just a little improved and just a little more future... proof? (hate to use that word in a computer context lol).

One thing the 9652 has standard that's an option with the RayDat, is word clock in/out. You have to buy a module to get that on the RayDat where the 9652 already has it.

Since I don't have the accessories (midi breakout, AES/SPdif breakouts) I was thinking $450. Just PM me if/when and we can discuss.

Quote Originally Posted by cgrafx View Post
    I've got both cards. My studio system utilizes two 9562 Cards and my Live rig utilizes a RayDAT.

I can't say that I've noticed any difference between the two. If you already have the HDSP9652 than there really isn't any reason to change.

If your starting from scratch, than the RayDAT card is certainly a good option, although there are alternatives available that will also work depending on the Audio Interfaces you want to use.

There are USB, Dante and AVB interfaces that are also perfectly suitable for building a system around, but they will set you back more budget wise.

If your set on using the ADA8200's, then the RME cards are going to provide a very stable option.
    Thanks Phillip, all good information. I think I'm leaning toward the RayDat now. Not sure if I will need word clock: and if I do, I can always add to the RayDat.
    Teddy

Teddy Hallaron

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy Hallaron View Post
    Thanks Phillip, all good information. I think I'm leaning toward the RayDat now. Not sure if I will need word clock: and if I do, I can always add to the RayDat.
    Teddy
    I currently clock everything on both systems through the ADAT interfaces. I haven't had any clocking issues doing that.
    Philip G.

Does not the Raydat card have the FX (Verb and EQ) when using Totalmix for zero latency monitoring? I have two HDSP9652 cards and at times wish I had that option.
    But I have had these cards since 2005 or there about, they have been rock solid so I see no need to change anytime soon.
    Stick with what works!

all the best.
    Warren
    Warren @ The Masters Tracks

Quote Originally Posted by Warren View Post
    Does not the Raydat card have the FX (Verb and EQ) when using Totalmix for zero latency monitoring? I have two HDSP9652 cards and at times wish I had that option.
    But I have had these cards since 2005 or there about, they have been rock solid so I see no need to change anytime soon.
    Stick with what works!

all the best.
    Warren
    Yes, but then your would be doing your monitoring mixes using the RME utility instead of SAC/SAW.
    Philip G.