Close

Default Creating harmonics

Hi all,

I hope everybody is safe and sane.

In MWS I made some tones with the acoustic guitar setting. I pulled it into SAW and made the adjustments I needed.
    Now the client would like to create harmonics of the tones.

Is there an easy way to create these or do I have to reinvent the wheel?

Thanks for any light you can shine on this subject,
    Bill
    " It is one of the most beautiful compensations in life … that no man can sincerely try to help another without helping himself." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Bill Corkery Productions
    Studio for Creative Audio

Default Re: Creating harmonics

Harmonics is a wide range
    • Any type of distortion will add harmonics (look for amp - simulation plugins)
    • Enhancer / Exciters will add harmonics also
    • Pitch-shifter will also add extra content
    • Even working with some kind of transient designer will change the sprectrum of harmonics.

Tomy
    3 * TIO1608 + AIC-128 + X-Touch + Dante -> AES + DADC-144DT

SATlive is my measurement software
    DIN 15905-5 (German SPL Limit)

Quote Originally Posted by bcorkery View Post
    Hi all,

I hope everybody is safe and sane.

In MWS I made some tones with the acoustic guitar setting. I pulled it into SAW and made the adjustments I needed.
    Now the client would like to create harmonics of the tones.

Is there an easy way to create these or do I have to reinvent the wheel?

Thanks for any light you can shine on this subject,
    Bill
    Hi Bill,

What do you mean by "the acoustic guitar setting"?

There have got to be plug-ins that do this, right? Odd that nothing's coming to us, though. Maybe it's not such a common thing, after all? Depending on the sound you're going for, I'd think simple pitch-shift stuff may be worth a shot (adding processed audio on top of existing audio). Though, that'd be more of a manual approach; you'd want to know which pitches to add in order to emulate nature. Harmonic series and all that.

Depending on the kind of harmonics you mean (simple overtones vs. distortion), I found these pages that may/may not be helpful:

https://sound.stackexchange.com/ques...sound-morphing
    https://proaudioclube.com/2016/05/19...tent-can-work/
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Thank you both very much.

Dave, by "acoustic guitar setting" I chose the acoustic guitar from the midi bank.
    I'm sure what they're looking for are simple overtones.
    I'll check out the links.

Thanks again,
    Bill
    " It is one of the most beautiful compensations in life … that no man can sincerely try to help another without helping himself." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Bill Corkery Productions

Hey, Bill, I got to thinking... maybe the easiest thing would be to use acoustic guitar harmonic samples. Looks like there's a lot out there. And this one appears to have free downloads:

https://freesound.org/people/quartertone/packs/11598/
    Becket, Massachusetts

Ha, after following my client's specific directions and adding "notes" to the original, primary tone, I decided to send him a longer, :05 primary tone. When he put it on the his meter, voila, all the harmonics he needed, as I tried to explain early on, were there! Adding the other notes just complicated the measurements on his meter. I guess the fact that they wanted only 130 and 150 ms pulses made it hard to measure the natural harmonics. I'm not sure what meters they were using.

Thanks for your input,
    Bill

Bill Corkery Productions

Quote Originally Posted by bcorkery View Post
    Ha, after following my client's specific directions and adding "notes" to the original, primary tone, I decided to send him a longer, :05 primary tone. When he put it on the his meter, voila, all the harmonics he needed, as I tried to explain early on, were there! Adding the other notes just complicated the measurements on his meter. I guess the fact that they wanted only 130 and 150 ms pulses made it hard to measure the natural harmonics. I'm not sure what meters they were using.

Thanks for your input,
    Bill
    Pesky clients. Glad you got it worked out.
    Last edited by Dave Labrecque; 05-16-2020 at 10:10 AM.
    Becket, Massachusetts

Still waiting to hear back from them. In this case, as in many, no news is good news!
    Thank you Dave.

Bill Corkery Productions