Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: VST 3 support

Default VST 3 support

Any plans at all to add VST 3 support to SAWStudio? More plugin companies are beginning to drop VST 2 versions.

Default Re: VST 3 support

So far the only way I know to do this is with a bridging host from Wusik called X42. I have it, but there are still at least one bug fix needed before I consider it fully ready for prime time. I have mentioned this in another thread.
    Cary B. Cornett
    aka "Puzzler"
    www.chinesepuzzlerecording.com

Quote Originally Posted by Cary B. Cornett View Post
    So far the only way I know to do this is with a bridging host from Wusik called X42. I have it, but there are still at least one bug fix needed before I consider it fully ready for prime time. I have mentioned this in another thread.

You would think there would be more ways to do this. I am just concerned that we SAW users will, eventually, be left out in the cold in this regard.

Does X 42 basically work for this purpose? If not, what are the problems?

Blog Entries

demodoc,
    I am just concerned that we SAW users will, eventually, be left out in the cold in this regard.
    ... I am not exactly sure what posts like this are intended for ...but such posts really do "get my dander up!" Why...'cause of others who, unintentionally or not, include me in their assertions! I mean, to use the word "we" in an all-inclusive sense when we just may not be in agreement with what you are stating...and all supposedly on your behalf!
    * This being so, I do feel justified in my response to this posting.

demodoc...precisely how is that a lack of VST3 support will "leave we out in the cold" ... as you state? Do you have a crystal ball somewhere that can predict the future - especially my future?

in all honesty, such posts as this are really-and-truly best discussed privately - just between you and the developer...unless of course, you believe that such a public display will induce a more democratic approach that will in the end..."win the day".

just for interest demodoc, I own seven guitar amp sims...and guess what?...the one that I prefer the most is some 15+ years old. So, in my book, "newer is not always better"! In fact, what I have discovered with regards to the so-called newer software is that "more" is just that, "more"...but not "betterly more!"

I simply cannot imagine anything better than what we have at present...with the current iterations of SAW and SAC...including the Native plug-ins that are provided. From what I have gleaned over the years from many, many others, SAW and SAC perform extremely well "as is" - and the current iteration of VST2 plug-ins provide others with those idiosyncrasies that the stock plug-ins, though adequate - at least in their minds, are best handled by third-party plug-ins.
    * Note, the latter would be the situation with me and Valhalla reverbs.

In closing, demodoc, do us...at least me anyhow, the kindness of not speaking on our/my behalf. I sincerely believe that I am able to make up my own mind.

I just want to know about this, that's all. I was expecting Bob to chime in, actually and let me know if it was a possibility for the future or not. If not, ok. I have noticed that a couple of plugin companies seem to be eliminating vst 2 support recently.

Don't misunderstand me, please. I LOVE SAWStudio and have been a SAW user since 1996. I will never leave it behind because I like nothing else. I certainly don't mean to speak for anyone else, I was just asking a question.

Sorry if this question is a problem, truly.
    Last edited by demodoc; 05-12-2020 at 07:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by demodoc View Post
    I just want to know about this, that's all. I was expecting Bob to chime in, actually and let me know if it was a possibility for the future or not. If not, ok. I have noticed that a couple of plugin companies seem to be eliminating vst 2 support recently.

Don't misunderstand me, please. I LOVE SAWStudio and have been a SAW user since 1996. I will never leave it behind because I like nothing else. I certainly don't mean to speak for anyone else, I was just asking a question.

Sorry if this question is a problem, truly.
    demodoc. its not an unreasonable question, but not one I would be overly concerned about. At such a time as it is necessary (as long as Bob is still available) I have no doubt we will see VST3 support. Just like we got 64bit support.

In the mean time, I don't see VST3 being the defacto standard for the vast majority of plug-in developers (VST2 options will continue). There are still plenty of plugins that haven't made the jump to 64-bit yet, so lots of time before this really becomes a significant issue.
    Last edited by cgrafx; 05-13-2020 at 10:12 AM.
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

Thank you for the kind response, Philip. I'm sure you are right, at least for quite a while. I just got concerned when I went to get the latest version of a plugin I like and it is only offered as a vst 3 plugin.

All will be fine, thanks.

Blog Entries

demodoc,
    ...I just got concerned when I went to get the latest version of a plugin I like and it is only offered as a vst 3 plugin.
    ... Then you might have a chat with the developer.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    demodoc,
    ... Then you might have a chat with the developer.
    Del, in my opinion, there is nothing unreasonable about DemoDocs request. And he's right. There will come a point at which Bob will stop supporting his products and we users will have to do with whatever advancements were the last ones he made. I'm a retired programmer so I can attest to it becoming harder the older I got - most especially the dogged perseverance aspect of it. Coding is a battleground.

I know I was grateful to pay for SAW and SAC finally being upgraded to Windows 64 so that I will be able to use them for the rest of my life. And I would pay for the upgrade that allowed the most modern version of VST technology - not because it is necessary today, but because it will eventually be necessary and if it is done today then it will be available then. And - if not, it might not be. So, DemoDoc speaks for me, at least. Moreover, I've been a member of this forum off and on for over 20 years. During that entire period of time requests for technology enhancements have been fairly routine. Why would you object to this one especially?

Of course, to Bob, this is a business. He has to decide whether it is worth his while to go through the whole process of adding a feature or not - or even whether he cares about the additional income. There will come a point at which it will not seem worth his while for any amount of money - and for all I know maybe that point has already arrived (it has arrived for me...). But, part of what this forum has always been for has been letting Bob know what interest there is in changing or enhancing aspects of his products. So, DemoDocs request is not historically out of line. If that has changed, maybe Bob could speak up himself and ask that we not ask for anything ever again - and add it as a sticky in the forum rules - rather than you speaking for him as a self-appointed final arbiter. I know that your heart's in the the right place but I, at least, think you're wrong on this one.

Hah! I just read the stickies and they have changed since the last time I read them. Feature requests are not permitted. My bad.