Close

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: VST 3 support

Default Re: VST 3 support

Quote Originally Posted by John Ludlow View Post
    Hah! I just read the stickies and they have changed since the last time I read them. Feature requests are not permitted. My bad.

OK, well, now I know. I had no idea.

Blog Entries

John,
    A couple of things…

Firstly, thank you for your reply…as one whom I respect…your comments are both noted and appreciated.

Dell, in my opinion, there is nothing unreasonable about DemoDocs request.
    …we will have to agree to disagree on this one!

I'm a retired programmer so I can attest to it becoming harder the older I got - most especially the dogged perseverance aspect of it. Coding is a battleground.
    …I am a programmer as well, studying for two years at a local college here and then privately with the lead programming instruction when she retired. Both Assembler and C+ were the disciplines that we studied. However, though I think that I understand in part want you are referring to with regards to "coding is a battleground" – I am not sure if I had ever considered programming/coding in that light.

So, DemoDoc speaks for me, at least.
    …However, demodoc does not speak for me…and I sincerely wish that he had not inferred as such…that was the primary point of my reply.

Moreover, I've been a member of this forum off and on for over 20 years. During that entire period of time requests for technology enhancements have been fairly routine. Why would you object to this one especially?
    …Actually I would object to any such public display as I sincerely believe that such matters are best discussed in private! Unless noted otherwise, of course! It is just the "we" aspect of demodoc's posting that concerned me here.

…rather than you speaking for him as a self-appointed final arbiter…
    …I truly apologize that you saw this posting in that light…as this was never my intention in any way whatsoever.

…If that has changed, maybe Bob could speak up himself and ask that we not ask for anything ever again - and add it as a sticky in the forum rules…
    …Interesting! I had thought that item #3 of the Forums Rules had been in effect since I joined the forum back in 2009?

In closing, I wrote the following article for the Guitar Rig entitled, "About Guitar Rig 5, Alternatives and Tone Development - UPDATE!". In that article I make reference to "audience relevance" and would appreciate others comments on that particular topic.

Is someone feeling a little defensive, today?

I think all he's saying is the trend with technology (including software) is forward. New standards come and go. And systems that don't support such forward progress will certainly become more restrictive in terms of compatibility with the ever-evolving state of the art. You may be okay with that. Others not so much. Maybe he assumed most were "forward-leaning," like him. I think most are, actually.

I think it's okay to express our opinions, here. That's always been a big part of what has driven SAW forward. (I hate fanboy spaces. Too cultish for me.) Maybe SAW won't ever support VST3. It's Bob's call, of course. But I'd think so long as the posts aren't belligerent that he's okay with people's input. He always has been in the past, I think. Of course, his opinion or yours or mine may be in opposition, sometimes. That's the beauty of America, though, isn't it? Say your piece in a space of tolerance and diversity. You are (mostly) among friends.
    Last edited by Dave Labrecque; 05-14-2020 at 08:12 AM.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    ...However, though I think that I understand in part want you are referring to with regards to "coding is a battleground" I am not sure if I had ever considered programming/coding in that light.
    Wallow around in a decade-old million line code base (that at this point is essentially patches on the patches on the bags on the side) with deadlines set by people who have no concept of what you actually do for a few years - and then tell me what you think.

Blog Entries

John,
    ...with deadlines set by people who have no concept of what you actually do for a few years - and then tell me what you think.
    ... What you are stating is what I have experienced being on the other side of a computer service bench...but I must admit my programming time was a very pleasant one!

This being said, programming was not an avenue that I never thought would be a career...but more so as a serious hobby! My youngest of seven however IS pursuing a career in game development and his prospects look very, very favourable.
    Last edited by mr_es335; 05-14-2020 at 06:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    My youngest of seven however IS pursuing a career in game development and his prospects look very, very favourable.
    If he's as good as you think, then I wish him good fortune. Game programming is a young persons occupation, but extremely lucrative for the best. But, in my observation, the entire programming field is built on personal passion, childish glee, and obsessive compulsion. I can't imagine anyone getting into it, and going through what it takes to be good at it, because they heard it paid well. It takes a certain type of person. You feel compelled. Your hours disappear unconsciously at the keyboard as you happily neglect you friends and sabotage your relationships - trading them for the cathedral you're writing that only you can see. It's a little like being an artist I think. If he's really got the sauce, nothing you could say would stop him anyway.

Blog Entries

Just saying.

* Feature requests should not be discussed in the public forums and instead should be sent in private emails to any of the support email addresses... support@SawStudio.com... tech@SawStudio.com... info@SoftwareAudioConsole.com... tech@SoftwareAudioConsole.com. I will consider all suggestions that are presented in a respectful way. There are no guarantees that the features will end up in the code, or how soon they may appear.

Quote Originally Posted by Microstudio View Post
    Just saying.

* Feature requests should not be discussed in the public forums and instead should be sent in private emails to any of the support email addresses... support@SawStudio.com... tech@SawStudio.com... info@SoftwareAudioConsole.com... tech@SoftwareAudioConsole.com. I will consider all suggestions that are presented in a respectful way. There are no guarantees that the features will end up in the code, or how soon they may appear.
    Oh, well. I apparently missed this along the way.

That said, Demodoc didn't technically make a feature request, but, rather, asked if something might be added in the future. I may be splitting hairs a little.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

I never expected a simple question would cause such a reaction. Now I know not to ever ask a question like this and I never will again, believe me. As one of you said, I was just trying to look forward a bit because I have had experiences where I was put in a bind because one product did not support another one that I wanted to use with it etc. I saw vst3 support as something worth knowing about, that's all. I had no other agenda. If I expressed it in a way that bothered some of you, I am sorry. It was an innocent question, from my point of view.

I have been a SAW user since 1996 and have purchased every upgrade ever offered since then. I started with SAWplus, went through SAWplus 32, SAWpro, SAWstudio and now SAWstudio 64. I have been posting in the forum since then as well and have had a good relationship with Bob Lentini over the years. I once found a bug and he took care of it immediately. Another time, I had a corrupt session file and he repaired it for me and sent it back so I could continue my project. I have spoken to him on the phone at length on more than one occasion. Bob knows who I am and has always been extremely helpful. In short, we have a very good relationship.

I know that I have asked similar questions in the past and just got a reply from Bob and/or others. It was never an issue until now. OK, I am fine with that and now I know never to ask about a feature being added. The negative reactions that my post received will make me less likely to post here at all, truth be told. A simple reply to the effect that feature requests are not allowed would have been sufficient. Since I don't post very often, I simply did not know this was the policy. My bad.

I wish you all well and I thank those that have been supportive very much for their kindness.
    Last edited by demodoc; 05-15-2020 at 12:22 PM.

Blog Entries

demodoc,
    I never expected a simple question would cause such a reaction.
    ... Maybe this is reason why you have received the response that you did? Without getting into too much detail, may I ask why you used the term "we" in your initial communique?

For myself, it was apparent that you had some concerns with regards to VST3 support...assumed by the title of the posting.

As a SAW user...I am not at all concerned about the lack of VST3 support, and as far as I am concerned, VST3 support will never be an issue for me.

demodoc, and I am hoping that you are really listening to me here, to be included in your dialogue when I should not have been, is what concerned me about your posting.

What you should have said was, "...I am just concerned that I, as a SAW user, may eventually be left out in the cold in this regard."
    * Notice that I have also added the term "may" - the use of "will" simply infers pessimism...but this my own personal opinion on the matter.

My intent was never to offend you demodoc..but at the same to let you know that I WAS offended. I love SAW...and SAC for that matter, as they are, and I have absolutely no concerns at all about the future of the software and its usage.

PS: I have sent you a PM!