Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Daw Controller for Sawstudio (using Arduino)

Hi;
    If anyone is interested, I've just finished my working prototype for a controller for SawStudio using 2 Jogwheels and a total of 29 (programmable) keys.

I am happy to share the design, component sources and Arduino program.

the current version uses a (butchered) Keypad from an old X-keys 20 key Keypad, but I am awaiting a 16 key keypad from 1upkeyboards for my next attempt
    Please let me know if any one is interested in brainstorming / suggesting improvements.

I hope the dropbox link below will provide more details

Cheers
    Robert V.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4lgmu64g0c...oller.pdf?dl=0
    Robert V.
    www.shinustudios.com
    www.art2ear.com

Blog Entries

Default Re: Daw Controller for Sawstudio (using Arduino)

Robert,

Nice work...and the efforts!

Connectivity? I would assume USB?

That is great.

In my new lifestyle, I have been working on the infinite list of things around the house. Among them is installing my arduino capacitive level detector and sump pump controller which is intended to kick in should my 400' of 4" pipe which can siphon up to 30 GPM before I get water on the floor if the siphon looses prime or 30GPM is insufficient to keep up (which happens from time to time - unfortunately when I'm most likely to loose power). I currently use a mechanical float switch for this which is not delicate enough for the job and runs sometimes when the siphon makes it unneeded also the switch is currently at line voltage which I would prefer not to have in the wet sump. I really do live in the house version of a yellow submarine and had to go through great lengths to keep it dry. It now has photovoltaic, solar thermal, geothermal and radiant floors with some automation on a raspberry pi. Anyway, for the time being, I don't think I will ask for your code - just marvel at the studio device.

The knob is cool. Looks like it came off of a safe.

You mapped a few things I don't use or know about like auto-change. I may have to consult the manual.

John
    Last edited by jmh; 05-28-2020 at 06:02 AM.

This looks great.

Nice job!

Juan C Vergara

Looks great Robert! I love the dial for the encoder!

Thanks all for the positive comments;

The Large Rotary Controller is easily obtainable via Ebay and works perfectly with Arduino. I am very happy with the way it has been working especially to make accurate Pan and Fader adjustments which I find so much
    easier to do with a rotary knob over a mouse.
    My next version will have more of the shelf components (Keypad and Mechanical Keyboard Key Switches.) a big problem with the current one was to find a way to have short and long press functionality
    which I found impossible using the Keypad Coding Arduino library and my next version will get around that using some extra keys apart from the matrix. (for Goto Zero Location (short) or Set Zero Location (long press))
    I have been exploring using MIDI but apart from the Looping function (which I tend to used a fair bit) I have not been able find a way to apply Mute and Solo to the Hot Track.
    The current version uses mouse and keyboard commands only.

Cheers;
    Robert V.
    www.shinustudios.com
    www.art2ear.com

Forgot to mention: Yes it uses USB
    Robert V.
    www.shinustudios.com
    www.art2ear.com

I found impossible using the Keypad Coding Arduino library and my next version will get around that using some extra keys apart from the matrix. (for Goto Zero Location (short) or Set Zero Location (long press))
    Robert, maybe you could use double click instead by timestamp that keys presses and if two occurred within a time window?

John

Quote Originally Posted by jmh View Post
    Robert, maybe you could use double click instead by timestamp that keys presses and if two occurred within a time window?

John
    Hi John;

Thanks for your suggestion, I tried all kinds of ways, but in the end decided that if I have some keys apart from the keypad matrix it is easy to do by tracking the elapsed time between keypress down and up.
    With the keypad matrix, even if I got "long press" to work, it will always do the "short press" action first before going on to the "long press" function, which is not what I am after.
    To rework my current version is too involved, plus I am not totally happy with the feel of the round push buttons, so I will fix it in the next one I make!
    In the mean time I'm having fun and learning something different.

Cheers;
    Robert V.
    www.shinustudios.com
    www.art2ear.com

>With the keypad matrix, even if I got "long press" to work, it will always do the "short press" action first before going on to the "long press" function, which is not what I am after.

Yea, that would make you have a slight delay to the short press main function. I'm just throwing suggestions in case you have not considered it. The other thought would be a chord with a shift key. That would mirror the natural SS home key functionality - and might be more resistant to accidental home moves.

I know what you mean about rework. Whenever you do something like this you get dug in and painted into corners by previous work so some things while on the surface are the right thing (and maybe deep down) - but the effort to overcome unseen hurdles is prohibitive.

What is RE_SS_Special_Mappings.exe? I don't remember seeing it in SS directory...

John