Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Opening and editing SAW Plus 3.x EDL and SES files

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Hall View Post
    I don't have access to SAW Plus 3.1, or a Win95 system to run it, and I don't have a license for the old software - these are CDRs with backups of the projects from college, and were recorded from their studio. My personal "DAW" at the time was a bit lower tech - a Tascam PortaStudio. I'm also guesstimating that they were created with SAW Plus 3.1 - one of the CDRs says "SP3.1" on it, and the .WAV files and .EDL files of the projects have date stamps of between 8/22/96 and 4/25/97, however only one CDR says "SP3.1", so the others could have been created with different SAW versions.

I did try opening up the EDL with a hex editor - it didn't tell me too much other than the songs have up to 20 tracks in them and it listed out the .WAV file names used within the project, but not any guidance on placement of the wav files or timestamps, or other details (track vol, pan, etc.).

A few of the CDRs have projects with .SES files and no .EDL files, so I was assuming that was a file format from an earlier or later version of SAW. Those projects with .SES files also have .WAV files in them for the media. Basically the folders look like this:

1) .SES file folders:

a) Contain .WAV files with corresponding .PK files (i.e. GUITAR2.WAV also has a GUITAR2.PK file)
    b) contain .SES files with the project/song name but no .EDL file (i.e. the song name written on the CDR is the same as the name of the .SES file)

2) .EDL file folders:

a) Contain .WAV files with corresponding .WPD files (i.e. GUITAR2.WAV also has a GUITAR2.WPD file)
    b) contain .EDL files with the project/song name (i.e. the song name written on the CDR is the same as the name of the .EDL file)

I appreciate the help with the forensics on this one, I haven't been able to find any clarifying details from many google search attempts but am hoping others were a little more familiar with the SAW landscape 23-24 years ago.
    Hi Nathan,

I tried installing SAW Plus yesterday on my Windows 10 system, and it wasn't happening. However, I do have SAW Plus 32 working. So you could also use that to open the EDLs (presumably) and do your track buildmixes (if you have the program). Or I could do 'em for you.

Alternatively, if you want access to region timestamp info and other EDL internal info, I'd get ahold of Rail Rogut (http://www.railjonrogut.com/) and see if you can get a copy of his venerable EDL Investigator, which was a really useful tool back in the day: railro@earthlink.net (his website is still there, though you can't buy the program there, anymore; and I don't know if that email address is still valid) The program still runs on Windows 10.

Or send me an EDL and I'll send you the EDL Investigator report to see if it's helpful. At the very least I'd think it would allow you to place regions on tracks at the right points on the time line. Maybe more.
    Last edited by Dave Labrecque; 06-25-2020 at 07:49 AM.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Labrecque View Post
    Hi Nathan,Or send me an EDL and I'll send you the EDL Investigator report to see if it's helpful. At the very least I'd think it would allow you to place regions on tracks at the right points on the time line. Maybe more.
    Dave, Do you remember when Rail wrote investigator? I'm just wondering if it was just sawpro or before.

.SES and .PK files suggest Adobe Audition (or, more likely, its predecessor CoolEdit Pro) rather than SAW. Adobe Audition might well open the session files.

Quote Originally Posted by jmh View Post
    Dave, Do you remember when Rail wrote investigator? I'm just wondering if it was just sawpro or before.
    I can't be sure, but I think Rail started EDL Investigator back with the original SAW Plus, and then updated it to work with EDLs through SAWStudio.

Well, I just created a SAW Plus 32 EDL, which EDL Investigator recognizes as such (it displays which generation of SAW EDL it is in the Open dialog), but it won't open it. I click Open, and it just sits there. Weird. It'll open up a SAWStudio EDL, though.

Well, I'd be happy to try your Saw Plus EDL just the same.

Or you could send me all the files to see if I can open it in SAW Plus 32.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Thanks Dave - I’ll PM you a link to a zip file of one of the projects to see if it can open in your SAW Plus 32 - I appreciate the offer to help here.