Close

Default SAW 32 bit on Win 10 64 bit weirdness

Hi all - I've just set up a new laptop (Toshiba L850 with 8 Gb memory) with Win 10 64 bit on it and I'm getting quite a bit of weirdness with plugins.
    Some I've sorted out by placing the dll's directly in the SS VST plugins folder, rather than using ini's.
    But I'm having a problem with these messages popping up. (SAW 32 bit on Win 10 64 bit )

" Trouble Creating or Opening File for write operation.Check track label for illegal file name characters.
    Make sure there is enough disk space for the operation."

"Trouble writing undo file.
    Make sure path is valid and not write protected."

The plugins still load after the messages and work fine.
    I'm assuming it's a caching problem but thought you fellas would have come across this ages ago when a lot of you switched to 64 bit OS's.
    Thanks
    Last edited by mako; 07-07-2020 at 12:34 PM. Reason: More info
    Denis Hillman
    Queensland
    Australia

Default Re: SAW 32 bit on Win 10 64 bit weirdness

Quote Originally Posted by mako View Post
    Hi all - I've just set up a new laptop (Toshiba L850 with 8 Gb memory) with Win 10 64 bit on it and I'm getting quite a bit of weirdness with plugins.
    Some I've sorted out by placing the dll's directly in the SS VST plugins folder, rather than using ini's.
    But I'm having a problem with these messages popping up. (SAW 32 bit on Win 10 64 bit )

" Trouble Creating or Opening File for write operation.Check track label for illegal file name characters.

"Trouble writing undo file.
    Make sure path is valid and not write protected."

The plugins still load after the messages and work fine.
    I'm assuming it's a caching problem but thought you fellas would have come across this ages ago when a lot of you switched to 64 bit OS's.
    Thanks
    Yeah, I get that sometimes. I don't think it has anything to do with being on an x64 OS, though. It's usually some kind of file-access conflict, I think. Close everything and try again. The issue usually goes away for me. I rarely try to figure out exactly what caused it.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Ah - thanks Dave
    Denis Hillman
    Queensland
    Australia

This can often be a file name issue where the folder or file name has an illegal or odd character that SAW doesn't like. I run into this most often when mixing a project that was started on an Apple computer. Try shortening/simplifying the path and file names.
    Michael McInnis Productions

Check your File Undo path... make sure it is pointing to a legal drive that is active and online.... not an old usb drive that has been unplugged.

Bob L

Thanks Bob and Michael - I'll check.

Yes - it was the file path - I needed to add C:\Program Files (x86)\SAWStudio\
    But now I can't save the Preferences as Default. I get -

Thanks

OK - I dumped the whole folder back in it's usual place on Drive C and everything seems to work fine.
    VST's and VSTi's load and play without problem.
    A file I created for last year's show loads and runs fine, both midi and audio.

So - think I'll do the same with SAC.

Thanks everyone.

Ah - thanks John - just saw your post. Yes, that works
    Last edited by mako; 07-07-2020 at 12:44 PM. Reason: Additional info
    Denis Hillman
    Queensland
    Australia

You might try reinstalling to the default, something like C:\SawStudio. If it works, you'll have to repath existing projects if you move them over - but no big deal.

John

Blog Entries

mako,

You need to be very care when working with paths that contain spaces, as there is shown above.

Therefore, C:\Program Files (x86)\SAWStudio must be "C:\Program Files (x86)\SAWStudio" - or enclosed with double quotes.
    * The error "Check track label for illegal file name characters" just might be the result of the use of spaces.

If you must spaces - say, for readability purposes, then I suggest that you use "underscores"...albeit, NOT for system paths, such as C:\Program_Files_(x86).

I have been using - and very successfully as well, C:\RML\SAC and C:\RML\SAW - keeps that paths short, with everything self-contained as well.

Any and all user paths that contain spaces are replaced with underscores. For example, Session Master becomes Session_Master - thus negating the use of double quotes.

IMPORTANT UPDATE!!: Apparently the use of underscores is not considered to be "good practice" and instead you should opt to use a "dash". In searching this topic, one fellow who refers to himself as "a recovering underscore addict who has moved to dashes" ... has provided some interesting points with regards to the underscore vs dash debate. He states, "So let's get right to it, here's what you need to know - 1) Despise the spaces, 2) Avoid the underscores, and 3) Embrace the dashes". A number of other sites also encourage the use of the dash versus the underscore. So, it would appear, that I really should be considering the same..."Dash it all, anyways!!". My sincerest apologies for this potential error.

IMPORTANT UPDATE!! #2: In considering the transition from the underscore to the dash...I see that many of the default filenames used in both SAC and SAW use the underscore! Very interesting indeed!
    Last edited by mr_es335; 07-07-2020 at 05:11 PM.