Close

Thread: Mix evaluation

Default Mix evaluation

This is a song (opus format) I wrote with a neighbor Rob Lobb.

RedWhiteAndBlue_DystopiaRoad_Evaluation ***EDIT*** I posted an adjusted version down below ***EDIT***

I had been struggling getting a vocal track that laid on these rhythm tracks. With my own vocals, I can never tell until I hear it a few months later and then determine it is **** and wipe the vocal. I went through this cycle a couple of times and recorded these a couple of days ago. This song is called Red White & Blue so I figured I would skip the wait and share it with you guys in the spirit of the holiday. I'm burnt out on it for now, so will ask if that vocal is a keeper and do I need to seek professional help on the mix? I remind myself of the lawyer defending himself having a fool for a client.

I love the song - which is always a good sign a few months out...

John
    Last edited by jmh; 07-04-2020 at 05:52 AM.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Mix evaluation

Nice song. The mix has the drums and the bass out front as the focus of sound which is making the vocals seem like they are set back in the mix and that alone hurts the vocal. Other than that I think the vocal and the BV's are fine.

Default Re: Mix evaluation

Micro,

Thanks for the input. I threw the vocals on an output bus and bumped them up a couple of db. I also realized I had dynamics adjustments for the lead vocal that had been replaced, so wound up turning down the compression a notch.

This is the adjusted version:

RedWhiteAndBlue_DystopiaRoad_mix2

Enough of this nonsense. Time to go canoeing...
    Last edited by jmh; 07-04-2020 at 05:55 AM.