Close

Default OT: organizing your work

Hey there friends. I am usually producing a radio program and have established workflows and ways to manage that info. Right now I'm working on a family music project that has tons more tracks and is much more complex than my radio work. I'm trying to figure out an efficient way to manage project information regarding recording levels/decisions and also track/takes decisions, etc. I'm wondering what you all use to manage the information for your music mixing projects? Do have a spreadsheet or? Anything insights or resources you would be willing to share would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    Kent
    I love the story of Christmas - Matthew 1:18-24

Blog Entries

Default Re: OT: organizing your work

Kent,

I use Excel...but you can use Word with tables as well.

To me, what I use is dependent on the "output"...such as a hard copy.

If what I require is raw data, then I will use Excel...if the output is something to be printed, then I will use Word.

If I am ever unsure...I will always opt to use Excel...as the use of formulae is wonderful!

By-the-way, you can copy Excel data to Word for formatting purposes - if so required.

As much as is possible, use a "VTOC" before hand...or "Visual Table of Contents"...with a VTOC being nothing more than scraps of paper with snippets of all of the stuff you feel you will require to develop your textual data. Then prioritize that data...using the information on the scraps to organize such data.

Such a process is akin to "story-boarding"..but I tend to use the term "text-boading"...as the use of this term more appropriatelyfits with what I am doing at that particular time.

I have been using Word 2003 and Excel 2003 for many, many years...so if you require any further assistance...please let me know.

For what it's worth, I'm using an older version of Onenote for all my notes, (the latest versions want you to keep stuff in the cloud and expect you to be connected to the web something I avoid for my studio computers.)

• Using the outline method makes it quick and easy to stay organised,
    • as it allows you to:
      • collapse ,
      • expand and or
      • move:
        • entries or
        • paragraphs

• You never have to save your notes as it does that on the fly.
    • Searching is very very quick and effective even if your Onenote files become quite large.

It's also a fantastic tool for brainstorming Ideas and Projects!

Hope this helps.
    Robert V.
    www.shinustudios.com
    www.art2ear.com

Blog Entries

Kent,

Onenote is now free...and can be installed locally...but it must be installed...which I do not like to do on production systems.

As an alternative, have a look-see at CherrytreePortable

I wind up using a monolithic directory for audio - but on Bob's tutorial video he explains how to get all of a project's audio into one directory. Pretty simple like just saving the initial edl in familyproject subdirectory.

It sounds like the discussion is regarding planning a roadmap ahead of time. As mentioned, spreadsheet type programs are fantastic. I use libreoffice and the price is right.

As far as music projects, mine grow organically and tend to deviate from any plan. I recommend judicious, concise, descriptive track names (i.e. 'GuitarLeadJohn', 'Drum_Overhead_Stereo_Brad' - before you record any audio on a track - because this establishes the recorded track names. If later another guitar track is added it is easy enough to move it around to put it with similar purposed tracks and maybe have all of those tracks with associated names assigned together. For example, output track2 might be named Drum_Submix, then you would un-assign 1 and assign 2 for each of the drum tracks and finally assign out_2 to 1.

I also rename the project (Save As - familyproject2) if I have to record new audio - particularly when I'm recording on to tracks that already have had audio on them. The edl name is appended to the track name to make the audiofiles' names so this reduces the amount of damage you can do when using the backspace key (retake - or retake all).

The point is you can utilize the features in saw to organize things. Many of them are 'Bob's way'. While a gripe can be they don't follow some computer norms, I've learned to accept his rational - there are things like available key utilization that forces it to be the way it is and also a DAW isn't a word processor and has many specialized needs. Anyway explore the interface. If you need it to do something, it often already does it.

Blog Entries

jmh...and Kent...

...As mentioned, spreadsheet type programs are fantastic. I use libreoffice and the price is right...
    ...Libre Office is great! If I was not so "set-in-my-ways" with MS Office..i would certainly go that route...as I have done so with many of my clients.

...I recommend judicious, concise, descriptive track names (i.e. 'GuitarLeadJohn', 'Drum_Overhead_Stereo_Brad' - before you record any audio on a track - because this establishes the recorded track names...
    ...I tend to be more "theme-and-variations" oriented when it comes to data management. Granted, my data inventory is generally quite small...making the management of such inventory workable.

This process is made all the more easier if you standardize "things". For example, Electric Guitar for me is always I-01..so if I have a "take", I subsequently name that take I-01. If I have to re-do that take, I would name that particular take, I-01a...and so on.
    * As the Electric Guitar sessions also use a backing track, I really do not need to include the channel number of that backing track - since the two always go together.

Sure appreciate the input. My question was probably not pointed enough but I'm not sure how to ask it better. I'm not looking for a roadmap of a project... I have direction for that. What I don't want is to get lost by unorganization with all the decisions that come with editing lots of instruments and vocals. Sounds like Excel and OneNote might be tools to do this, but I'm wondering more about the particulars of how you are doing this and what if anything are you making note of to help you stay organized in your workflow. Do you use a track sheet concept? How do you keep track of/document decisions you're making in editing, which takes, etc while you're working on a song or do you just manage it within SAW via track/region names and layers? Thanks for bearing with me. Trying to figure this out before I get started mixing.

Thanks!
    Kent

Blog Entries

Kent,

I have unlimited tool free calling in North America...so this scenario just might be dealt wit on the phone.

Send me an email with your number and I will call you at a time that is convenient for you...love to help if I am able.

Hey Dell-

Thanks for the offer. I've got it covered. Will just keep a log that makes sense to me and my workflow. Have a great day.