Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Need help: pan automation

Well, I guess my memory is fading faster than I imagined. I'll swear I knew how to do this, but the method now escapes me.

Let's say in a vocal track, I set a pan position at, say, 10db left of center. Then farther down the track, I set another pan position at 10db right of center.

Now I want to automate the pan change so that it smoothly moves from the left point to the right point. I start by putting the cursor just to the right of the left position.

I'll swear there's a keystroke that will insert the pan change automatically. Or maybe there's a key/mouse combination? But I've tried everything I thought I remembered ... to no avail.

Any help here?

Many thanks.

Roger

Default Re: Need help: pan automation

Use the "F" key... fade to next automation change... whichever type of automation is your last entry will be used to smoothly transition to the next similar type entry.

Bob L

This is one I'm ALWAYS forgetting!
    Using the F key, even if pre-marking the space from one pan mark to the next, produces a volume fade - not a pan sweep, as is requested here.

If I can remember how it works, I will post the solution, if someone else hasn't already.

Right. That's the first thing I tried. 'F' does a fade down.

Roger

AHA! got it!

I was just bemoaning that the key isn't easy to figure out and was wishing you could use the f-key as Bob suggested..... so I tried marking two pan marks and then used the V key to filter for just the pan marks. Tabbed to the first pan mark and hit F and that did it! I didn't check to see if you can go backward from the rightmost pan mark, but wanted to get a reply on right away for you.

1- mark pan
    2- tab to leftmost pan mark
    3- hit the v key to filter for only pan marks
    4- hit f key.

Just discovered, also -
    you can go into automation mode, go to the right most point and mark a pan setting, then hit the v key. With the pan filter turned on, now go to the left position you want the sweep to begin on and hit the f key. It will sweep the automation to the next pan mark.

You can also turn on the pan filter and hit the f key anywhere and it will create a pan sweep - some default amount I guess, since I didn't examine it. But then you can mark the boundaries of the pan sweep (B and E keys) and use Alt/drag to expand and/or contract the pan sweep that falls within the marked area.

Thanks! As I mentioned, I don't remember how I did this in the past ... but this works, so it's probably what I did.

Now if this sequence of mouse/keystrokes were only automate-able. Like to an X-Keys pad.

Thanks again!

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by UpTilDawn View Post
    This is one I'm ALWAYS forgetting!
    Using the F key, even if pre-marking the space from one pan mark to the next, produces a volume fade - not a pan sweep, as is requested here.

If I can remember how it works, I will post the solution, if someone else hasn't already.
    I'm a sporadic user of automation, but coincidentally, there was one that I was trying to remember a couple of days ago, which is the key-chord that snaps the cursor to the next automation - but now that I'm reading this thread, I think it may have to be be in conjunction with the previous use of the v key to filter for particular automation type.

This (once somebody posts it) is handy, you can place a quarter dB nudge at your potential start position which allows you to jump back and forth before f fades, as you can see where you are going to wind up before you do it.

John

Quote Originally Posted by jmh View Post
    I'm a sporadic user of automation, but coincidentally, there was one that I was trying to remember a couple of days ago, which is the key-chord that snaps the cursor to the next automation - but now that I'm reading this thread, I think it may have to be be in conjunction with the previous use of the v key to filter for particular automation type.
    Don't need the V key for this. Ctrl-TAB advances to the next automation entry. Ctrl-Shift-TAB takes you to the previous automation entry. Works in both Automation Mode and "Automation Peek" Mode (right-click the WAV button while not in Automation Mode).
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Sorry... forgot to mention the V key (View Filter) to set the automation type to the pan (last entry)... you can also right-click the AUT switch to popup a menu to pick your automation type directly.

Bob L