Close

Blog Entries

Default OT: New SAC Configuration

Good day,

In a recent posting entitled, "OT: System Setups" ... I mentioned, "Over the past few months...if anything but to keep from getting too overly bored during this lock-down period, I have been testing out a new procedure for tweaking both WIN7 and WIN10 systems for digital audio usage".

I am now applying this scenario to my live rig, and I have the following question...which, though obvious to some...is not, I fear...obvious to me...

First, the scenario...

1. In SAC, I have configured two channels, one for the electric guitar [I-01], and one for the backing track [I-05].
    2. I have configured a TH-U preset for the electric guitar that uses TH-U's reverb for that preset.
    3. I have added a separate reverb to the backing track as well.

Second, the question...

The question then is, "Should I remove the reverb from both the electric guitar and the backing track and use a common reverb for both?"

Also, a "Why?" would be deemed helpful here as well.

PS: I will...more-than-likely, have other questions as well...so a "Thank you" in advance...

Default Re: OT: New SAC Configuration

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    Good day,

In a recent posting entitled, "OT: System Setups" ... I mentioned, "Over the past few months...if anything but to keep from getting too overly bored during this lock-down period, I have been testing out a new procedure for tweaking both WIN7 and WIN10 systems for digital audio usage".

I am now applying this scenario to my live rig, and I have the following question...which, though obvious to some...is not, I fear...obvious to me...

First, the scenario...

1. In SAC, I have configured two channels, one for the electric guitar [I-01], and one for the backing track [I-05].
    2. I have configured a TH-U preset for the electric guitar that uses TH-U's reverb for that preset.
    3. I have added a separate reverb to the backing track as well.

Second, the question...

The question then is, "Should I remove the reverb from both the electric guitar and the backing track and use a common reverb for both?"

Also, a "Why?" would be deemed helpful here as well.

PS: I will...more-than-likely, have other questions as well...so a "Thank you" in advance...

The backing track and the guitar are independent entities and as such have different and independent effects requirements.

I don't see any reason to combine the two.

The purpose of unifying the reverb would be to have channels share a common reverb profile and have matching tails. You would do this for multiple vocal channels for example, so that they all track together.

The only reason you would add a common reverb to the backing track and the guitar is if you wanted to simulate a common room environment, in which case you'd want both channels to track the reverb together.
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.