Close

Default Single Thread Processor Performance Ratings

I saw this and thought it might be useful to the group. In as much as SAC/SAW have difficulties splitting up processing between multiple cores, it occurred to me that it might be very handy to know which processors are fastest at single-threaded processing. As it happens the venerable Passmark Software processor ratings now provide rankings of that. For instance, if you want to know which laptop processors have the fastest single-threaded performance, you go here:

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleT...#laptop-thread

In theory, at least, if you prevent the other cores from carrying the load, the one with the fastest ranking would do the job the best with the single core that's left.

If you prefer to know that info for desktops or servers instead, click the button associated with them on that same page.

I'm surprised by two things here. The first is that the fastest single-threaded laptop processor is an 8-core, 45W, processor running at 2.4 Ghz. The second is that, in terms of single-threaded speed, laptop processors are so close to desktop and server processors running at much higher clock speeds. Can anyone comment on that?
    Last edited by John Ludlow; 07-20-2020 at 02:01 PM. Reason: whoops - 8-core, not 10-core

Default Re: Single Thread Processor Performance Ratings

Interesting. I just used this chart to help inform me on a new computer build, which I just finished updating and installing yesterday after 8 days of data transfers, license transfers, and hardware craziness. Everything is running great now. I ended up with an I9 10900K and things are much improved from my previous I7 4770 computer from 5 years ago. I have been mixing more multitrack pop recordings with high track and plugin counts and started to hit the boundary of what the old system could handle. The new one can run mixes that were stopping at a quarter of the buffer size, and the 10th generation compatible motherboard has a ton of modern fast connectivity. The latest I5 looks pretty awesome for price/single thread score.
    Michael McInnis Productions

Quote Originally Posted by MMP View Post
    Interesting. I just used this chart to help inform me on a new computer build, which I just finished updating and installing yesterday after 8 days of data transfers, license transfers, and hardware craziness. Everything is running great now. I ended up with an I9 10900K and things are much improved from my previous I7 4770 computer from 5 years ago. I have been mixing more multitrack pop recordings with high track and plugin counts and started to hit the boundary of what the old system could handle. The new one can run mixes that were stopping at a quarter of the buffer size, and the 10th generation compatible motherboard has a ton of modern fast connectivity. The latest I5 looks pretty awesome for price/single thread score.
    On paper, that I9-10900K is a beast. Glad to hear it's working out as planned. Plus - in a pinch, there should be plenty left to overclock it, with appropriate cooling.

Since your build seems to have worked out so well, eventually someone will want to know whose motherboard you used - do you mind saying? DDR-4 RAM - and how much?

I am using an ASUS Z490-A Prime board with 32 gigs of memory. I put two 1TB Samsung NVME drives In as well. I chose that MB because of the slots. I have a video card, two UAD Octo cards, an SSL MX4, a Red Dante Card and the Thunderbolt expansion card in there.
    Last edited by MMP; 07-21-2020 at 03:52 AM.

I am using an ASUS Z490-A Prime board with 32 gigs of memory. I put two 1TB Samsung NVME drives In as well. I chose that MB because of the slots. I have a video card, two UAD Octo cards, an SSL MX4, a Red Dante Card and the Thunderbolt expansion card in there.
    Sounds like a monster, Michael!
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts