Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default OT: Apollo X and SAW?

MMP has clued me in on his experience with the newer UA Apollo X interfaces and SAWStudio. I'm wondering if anyone else can chime in. I'd really like to be able to make it work! The bang-for-the-buck seems kinda unbeatable with the X stuff. Thanks.
    Last edited by Dave Labrecque; 08-29-2020 at 08:01 AM.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Default Re: OT: Apollo X and SAW?

I just got the Apollo twin X, but am using it on a Mac with Luna. But, I am interested to try it as a front end with Saw....I’ll give it a go over the weekend and will follow up!***127926;
    Saw64, SAC64 DP, Live, Cubase, Logic Pro and LUNA
    http://www.jillandrich.net

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Labrecque View Post
    MMP has clued me in on his experience with the newer UA Apollo X interfaces and SAWStudio. I'm wondering if anyone else can chime in. I'd really like to be able to make it work! The bang-for-the-buck seems kinda unbeatable with the X stuff. Thanks.

I've lived the horrors of trying both UAD Apollo X and LYNX Aurora(n) via Thunderbolt (PC). The ONLY stable hardware that works with SAW is RME. Blame Bob, blame LYNX, etc.., but one finger points at the other and the issue doesn't get fixed.

I recently purchased a SCOPE Xite and SAW64 will NOT work with that either. There again, I did not purchase the Xite for use with SAW, but curiosity has me testing everything. I can run Pro Tools, Reaper, Samplitude with all the latest drivers, just not SAW.

I love SAW and when paired with an RME product, you're golden, it's your gamble, headache and money to try anything else.

Blog Entries

Tommy,

Your statement "The ONLY stable hardware that works with SAW is RME..." ...though agreed to in principle, is not entirely true.

Over the years I have tested M-Audio, ART, Motu, Behringer, Presonus and Focusrite...and all have worked using both SAW and SAC.

At present, the Behringer UMC202HD and UMC-404HD have been working very, very with USB - though I must admit that I have never used this this system under what may be deemed as a heavy load.

PS: This being said, I did create a scenario wherein I had 12 individual channels of Overloud's TH-U inserted into each track at 1x64 with a load of 40% for the better part of one hour! I thought that this test was rather impressive one to say-the-least!

SSL
    Focusrite
    MOTU

All have worked for me with SAWStudio.
    Michael McInnis Productions

Even lowly SoundBlaster Live and Audigy, as well as many Realtek versions have played nice with SAW and SAC for me, when required. The Behringer x32 USB system has also worked very nicely for me in both laptop and desktop recording scenarios. And I know that Lynx was once highly recommended to me by my first SAW representatives..... But as you say, there's no beating the combination of SAW/SAC and RME!! No doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    Tommy,

Your statement "The ONLY stable hardware that works with SAW is RME..." ...though agreed to in principle, is not entirely true.

Over the years I have tested M-Audio, ART, Motu, Behringer, Presonus and Focusrite...and all have worked using both SAW and SAC.

At present, the Behringer UMC202HD and UMC-404HD have been working very, very with USB - though I must admit that I have never used this this system under what may be deemed as a heavy load.

PS: This being said, I did create a scenario wherein I had 12 individual channels of Overloud's TH-U inserted into each track at 1x64 with a load of 40% for the better part of one hour! I thought that this test was rather impressive one to say-the-least!
    FWIW, I don't think load is a factor. An interface either works well or it doesn't. The driver may be more efficient, I suppose, if that's what you mean, Dell. But I don't think the load in SAW is related to that, except that perhaps you have less load "headroom" for plugins, channel EQ/dynamics, and audio tracks if an interface's driver isn't particularly efficient.

I'm not worried about that stuff with Apollo, though. Unless it's really a thing with their drivers.
    Becket, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by UpTilDawn View Post
    Even lowly SoundBlaster Live and Audigy, as well as many Realtek versions have played nice with SAW and SAC for me, when required. The Behringer x32 USB system has also worked very nicely for me in both laptop and desktop recording scenarios. And I know that Lynx was once highly recommended to me by my first SAW representatives..... But as you say, there's no beating the combination of SAW/SAC and RME!! No doubt.
    That said, is there any RME AD/DA that folks would consider to be in the same class as the Apollo X stuff?
    Becket, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    Tommy,

Hi,

I should have said with the hardware that I've purchased within the last few years. The difference I see is that you're using USB and I was using Thunderbolt. Probably a driver issue with SAW or Lynx. Bob was wonderful helping me try to isolate the problem as well as Lynx, but with no fix. I sold the Lynx and the PC that I built and went back to Mac Pro and Pro Tools for now. Your specs aren't bad that you mentioned.I will go back to SAW in the near future, especially the next time we record for keeps. I miss the flo and the sound

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy McLoughlin View Post
    Hi,

I should have said with the hardware that I've purchased within the last few years. The difference I see is that you're using USB and I was using Thunderbolt. Probably a driver issue with SAW or Lynx. Bob was wonderful helping me try to isolate the problem as well as Lynx, but with no fix. I sold the Lynx and the PC that I built and went back to Mac Pro and Pro Tools for now. Your specs aren't bad that you mentioned.I will go back to SAW in the near future, especially the next time we record for keeps. I miss the flo and the sound
    Tommy, would you mind sharing the motherboard/PC model you tried this with? I assume it had TB3 on board... Just so people don't repeat your experience.