Close

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Corrupted plugin settings when moving between machines

Anyone know if there's a way around this?

I build a session in SAW on my laptop, then I move it to my desktop, having installed all the needed plugins, and I get this warning when trying to open the EDL:

[VST plugin] Has Corrupted Data Settings!
    Please Reset Parameters For All Instances Of This Pugin In This EDL!

[Ok]

Why would the settings get corrupted? Aren't they just ones and zeroes in the EDL file?
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Default Re: Corrupted plugin settings when moving between machines

Make sure the plugin name displayed in the FX choices list is the same on both machines... if they are different, the system sees them as different plugins and therefore the settings would be incompatible.

Bob L

I think also that if the plugin settings you had were not specifically saved, that you can also get that corrupt data message. I could be wrong, of course, but I think that's been my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by UpTilDawn View Post
    I think also that if the plugin settings you had were not specifically saved...
    How do you mean? You mean saving a SAW preset file of the plugin's setting via the RML triangle menu? I wouldn't think that would come into play.
    Becket, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Labrecque View Post
    How do you mean? You mean saving a SAW preset file of the plugin's setting via the RML triangle menu? I wouldn't think that would come into play.
    That's what I mean, yeah. Maybe you're right, but if the last settings on the plugin weren't saved, then what's to keep them the same, when you switch to another machine and maybe even have to reinstall, or reregister the plugin?
    That happens more than it ought to.

Quote Originally Posted by UpTilDawn View Post
    That's what I mean, yeah. Maybe you're right, but if the last settings on the plugin weren't saved, then what's to keep them the same, when you switch to another machine and maybe even have to reinstall, or reregister the plugin?
    That happens more than it ought to.
    My understanding is that plugin settings save in the EDL file, and any saves to a separate file are just that: separate. I almost never save presets to files and I almost never have the problem I had moving between machines.

That would certainly be a good work-around, though.
    Becket, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by Bob L View Post
    Make sure the plugin name displayed in the FX choices list is the same on both machines... if they are different, the system sees them as different plugins and therefore the settings would be incompatible.

Bob L
    Interesting. I could see that happening as I set up the FX INI pointer on each computer, not being aware of the need to have the INI name be identical from machine to machine. Thanks for the info.
    Becket, Massachusetts