Close

Default Recording in a facility on protools. What should I ask for?

We're recording at a facility that uses protools. What should I ask for?

This would be for either pulling all the resulting tracks back into studio, or for recordings of additional tracks on the SS rig which may be returned to the original project.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Recording in a facility on protools. What should I ask for?

JMH,

Ask for the "pt-2-ss" morph pill which you can get at any pharmacy.

This is what that pill will do...Click_me

PS: I believe that that there is reverse-morph pill as well. These are quite expensive due to the extensive downgrading of the audio signal during the reverse-morph!! Heee...heee!!!

Just consolidate the tracks down to straight .wav files... this will include all edits and punches of the recording and create straight wav files for each track starting at the beginning of the song.

You can then add these tracks to the SAWStudio Multitrack and create a session for overdubbing and editing and mixing... if you want to bring the tracks back to Pro Tools, then export the tracks from SAWStudio to straight .wav files and re-import them back into the ProTools session.

Easy to do... or you can look into AA Translator software which can read and convert sessions intact between various DAWS... ProTools and SAWStudio included.

Bob L

Quote Originally Posted by Bob L View Post
    Just consolidate the tracks down to straight .wav files... this will include all edits and punches of the recording and create straight wav files for each track starting at the beginning of the song.

You can then add these tracks to the SAWStudio Multitrack and create a session for overdubbing and editing and mixing... if you want to bring the tracks back to Pro Tools, then export the tracks from SAWStudio to straight .wav files and re-import them back into the ProTools session.
    I like to do this by selecting the clips on a given track (and/or select a range that includes clips on a track) and consolidate. I will then rename the consolidated clip to suit my needs. Then from the clip list window I will choose 'Export clips as files', set the options I want and export to the Bounced Files folder. Rinse and repeat to export all the needed tracks from the PT session.

Whether selecting clips or selecting ranges before consolidating, the idea is to have the exact same start point for all exported files so the import to SAWStudio is simple: just line up the regions from their start points and go...

Our session was a great success. The engineer remarked that making the files was easier with the new version of pro-tools. While I wasn't taking in what he was doing, it seemed more cumbersome than saw's build marked tracks to output files (not really sure what it is called - have not dumped many sessions - but I remember that doing it was trivial). He also may have made some sub-mixes that would have taken extra time (my machine lives in stripped down isolation, so I scan for viruses... on something with current protection prior to plugging in a new device so I have not imported it yet).

I did made the mistake of bringing a usb2 flash that I picked up at CVS which accurately made no claims of speedy transfers - that caused everyone to wait around for an extra 20 minutes.

We'll be doing a bit of this and that on each of the tunes we did back in the comfort of Studio - but we got a fantastic foundation as the new tunes are far beyond the point where if done by me, my objectivity would already be trashed.

Thanks for the input...

I believe there is a way import all these files in one shot. I'm going to hit the help menu, but if anyone wants to chime in, please do.

I came up with a few bash commands (you have to love linux) to manipulate the file names in each directory, removing the nasty characters and apostrophes and so on... Now all of the drum tracks are prepended with d_, guitar g_ etc and the and should sort pretty well alphabetically.

Look mom! No hands...

Library file directory link

regions select all add to MT

Wow that took all of five minutes and that included 4 of guesswork. Weird sounding mix - but things will soon improve.

Quote Originally Posted by jmh View Post
    Look mom! No hands...

Library file directory link

regions select all add to MT

Wow that took all of five minutes and that included 4 of guesswork. Weird sounding mix - but things will soon improve.
    I usually select all needed files in a library view after placing the cursor where I want it in the MT (time line and hottrack for "top" region entry), then hit the INSERT key on my keyboard.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Oh, so I was doing it the slow way.

Quote Originally Posted by jmh View Post
    Oh, so I was doing it the slow way.
    I dunno. More of a preference thing. Two clicks vs. a key tap. It even shows the keystroke next to the menu item. I just never use the menu item, so I forgot about it till you mentioned it. There are a couple other menu items, too, that can be similarly accomplished with modifier keys on the INSERT key, as shown next to each menu item. Choices!
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts