Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: m/s encoder decoder recommendations

This has dual mono - but also has modes that will process the mid or side:

https://www.tokyodawn.net/tdr-nova/

...look in the 'process mod' section.

https://docs.tokyodawn.net/nova-manual/

Has anyone used this? this is one crazy looking plugin.

Quote Originally Posted by jmh View Post
    This has dual mono - but also has modes that will process the mid or side:

https://www.tokyodawn.net/tdr-nova/

...look in the 'process mod' section.

https://docs.tokyodawn.net/nova-manual/

Has anyone used this? this is one crazy looking plugin.
    Man - this looks terrific! Thanks for posting it. I couldn't find the 'process mod' section. But, in the 'Process Target' section, there's an option to process, "...Stereo, Mono, Left, Right, Sum and Diff...". And, by 'sum' they mean mid, and by 'diff' they mean side. So, I think that means that you can make equalization changes to everything at once, just one side, just the middle, or just the sides. And, I think you can also accomplish compression within just those areas. It also mentions that you can gang multiple instances of it serially to make changes to each of those independently (but within the same track) and that this won't require much more processing than just one.

I'm definitely going to try this one. The user interface looks kinda complex, but it's a complex tool too - so maybe it has to be. One thing I'm wondering is whether, if you are using multiple copies of the effect on the same track serially, is whether each downstream copy is operating on the result from the previous one or not. It seems like it probably would because it's happening within the rules of VST (in which effects are serially additive, rather than parallel), but... it's digital so it wouldn't necessarily have to be, I wouldn't think.

They have this nice video promoting a subset of the tools capabilities. It also covers the differences between the standard (free) and pay ($60) version.
    Last edited by John Ludlow; 10-22-2020 at 12:53 PM. Reason: added link to video

I was wondering why you wanted to encode then decode. There has got to be many compressors that you can patch after the encoder an un-link the L & R channels to make them operate mono/mono. I'll probably fire up my rig tomorrow and I'll see if any of the plugins I have operate in that mode (not that I have many).
    I think you will be blown away with this plugin which has great control over sides/compression/EQ/tonality - all in One Plugin!
    (really 5 plugins in 1, which can be rearranged in processing order)
    WAVES: Abby Road TG Mastering Chain on sale now for just $41
    (comes with Live Stereo plugin as well as Mastering Stereo version)
    Check out the video demos (4)
    I'm very happy with it - very versatile ... great for everything from subtle to wild.
    Last edited by Carl G.; 10-24-2020 at 10:22 AM.
    Carl G.
    Voice Talent/Audio Producer
    www.creativetrax.com

I was browsing a couple of the waves plugins a while ago. It wasn't clear to me from their requirements page, are most of these available in a form that will run in SS or SS64 (I'm still 98% in the 32 bit world)?

I was browsing a couple of the waves plugins a while ago. It wasn't clear to me from their requirements page, are most of these available in a form that will run in SS or SS64 (I'm still 98% in the 32 bit world)?
    Yes, they work. You do need to do a little bit to make them available to SAW64. See details in this thread:

http://www.sawstudiouser.com/forums/...ght=Waves+2vst
    Michael McInnis Productions

Actually, the current installer tries to force you to install 64bit versions.
    But, following directions from their support, I re-installed the Waves Central Installer version 9.x and downloaded the 32bit versions. Then used the Shell2VST to unpack the DLLs I could use in SAWStudio (32bit).

But.... when I just tried to check 'which' version of Waves "9" Central I had on my machine, WAVES Central program automatically tries to download the 64bit 'Higher" version of the installer *Without* first even asking me! I would give their plugins 5 star.... but much less for their 'forced' installer. They should at least first "inform" with OK button before forcing the 64bit installer upgrade version.
    Last edited by Carl G.; 10-31-2020 at 10:21 AM.
    Carl G.
    www.creativetrax.com

I installed nova and I have to say it is pretty cool You don't realize immediately how to get the band compression working. It looks real cool and sounds fine.

I also bought one of the lesser waves plug bundles I have got it working on my old win 7 laptop but the buyer's remorse still has not gone away. The first one I opened was abbey road chamber which had a huge delay. There is a delay parameter which was set to 111 (ms?) when I turned it down got a overrun. I roughed the vst latency override to 4800 samples (at 44100) and it sounded ok but the cpu load on saw's indicator goes from ~5% to 45% with the plugin engaged. I'll grant that this is an older machine - but that increase was with the plug on one track on a mix with maybe 20 tracks with various other plugins running.

Is this cpu load typical of waves stuff, and do you generally have latency with these plugins?

So so far the free Nova gets 5 stars (and I'm thinking I should buy something from them just to show my gratitude) while waves co-opting my usb stick as a license dongle, their ****ty installer and endless marketing gets a negative rating (although the tech support guy was responsive)...

John

Now that I've gotten to play with the waves plugs I am in agreement that some of the ones I've used sound pretty good. I'm not to keen on the naming convention and since I bought a bundle, I'll never remember what does what, but I guess I can try to make links or prepend the file names with wc_, we_, wm_... for compressors, eq, modulators, and so on... Also the abbey road cpu load is not typical.

Now that I've gotten to play with the waves plugs I am in agreement that some of the ones I've used sound pretty good. I'm not to keen on the naming convention and since I bought a bundle, I'll never remember what does what, but I guess I can try to make links or prepend the file names with wc_, we_, wm_... for compressors, eq, modulators, and so on... Also the abbey road cpu load is not typical.
    Naming convention? I may be out in left field here, but have you considered using the SAW INI pointer file approach to name the plugins whatever you like?
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

I Pre-Named all my Waves plugins (Bundles and extras) "W-" So they all fall in one area of the "All Plugins" list.
    Then I took the time to explorer each plugin, and categorized it by name in the "FX Choices 'Group'" options menu:
    1. Noise Reduction, Expanders, Gates
    2. Dynamics, Level Controls
    3. Delays
    4. Reverbs
    5. Pitch Time/Stretch
    6. EQ/Filters
    8. Meters
    7. Test Software (Oscillators, Scopes, etc)
    and so on through about 20 categories (including short list "Go To's", etc)

So, now, no matter which category through which I view them, the Waves plugins will always be grouped together - and the functionality easily exlained/pulled up through the FX Choices Group Options menu.
    Carl G.
    www.creativetrax.com