Close

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: m/s encoder decoder recommendations

Somebody mentioned using M/S mode as a way to separately process a vocal in mastering. Given the number of other things that "live in the middle", that is not very practical. But in some mastering situations there is another way. When given a mastering job, I am often given two mix files, a full mix and a "TV track" which has everything except the lead vocal. What I do is play both files together with the phase of the "track" file inverted, which lets me print a stereo file with just the lead vocal with whatever effects (usually some echo or reverb). Then I will restore the band track to correct polarity, mute the "full mix", and I am able to do selective processing to JUST the vocal without touching any other "center" elements in the mix. I have found this very useful, and clients seem to like the result.
    Cary B. Cornett
    aka "Puzzler"
    www.chinesepuzzlerecording.com

Default Re: m/s encoder decoder recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by Cary B. Cornett View Post
    Somebody mentioned using M/S mode as a way to separately process a vocal in mastering. Given the number of other things that "live in the middle", that is not very practical. But in some mastering situations there is another way. When given a mastering job, I am often given two mix files, a full mix and a "TV track" which has everything except the lead vocal. What I do is play both files together with the phase of the "track" file inverted, which lets me print a stereo file with just the lead vocal with whatever effects (usually some echo or reverb). Then I will restore the band track to correct polarity, mute the "full mix", and I am able to do selective processing to JUST the vocal without touching any other "center" elements in the mix. I have found this very useful, and clients seem to like the result.
    Let's see you do that with tape!
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts