Close

Default Anyone using a behringer x18 as a converter?

I had to temporarily swap in a x18 for my presonus ar16 usb mixer. Now with the X18 I have to fiddle with:

Options:Audio Driver Model:Asio Protocol, then select x18

If I do this several times eventually "32 bit integer LSB Format" is shown for Asio Protocol, then all of the channels show up as input output devices.

At this point everything runs fine until I reboot or close saw and reopen it (which is more likely to work than after a new boot - but not assured).

I have saved the properly operational state in preference files and also as default. It is clearly accepting this because my new loopback latency settings have been retained.

Has anyone seen this or have suggestions?

Win 10.
    Last edited by jmh; 10-11-2020 at 05:58 PM.

Default Re: Anyone using a behringer x18 as a converter?

First thing to note - are you saving this setup as a default preference and you still need to reopen multiple times to get it to stick? Whether or not you save it as the default preference, or simply as a new preference file that you open each time you open SAW may or may not be relevant... but I just wonder for clarity's sake more than anything else.

I believe when I first started using the school's Behringer x32 with SAW I had a number of issues similar to yours. But it did somehow settle after a time - only thing is I don't remember how, or if I had to do something specific to make it behave (it's been many years ago now). I also needed to install Behringer's software utility (audio control panel) and drivers, the control panel being a very simple status display that shows whether a usb device is connected and which model it is, as well as the current sample rate. I'm pretty sure that the console itself also needs to be powered up and connected before opening SAW.

Would this also be the case for you? I hope this helps a bit.

Typically when I start from a cold boot, the X18 also boots. However if I reboot while leaving the X18 up, the problem is just as likely to occur. I will try your suggestion regarding reinstalling the driver and utility.

The default sample rate for both the board and saw are 44.1 - I initially had the board in the default 48. It really did not like that. Also the default for the board is muted outputs - which had now been changed. Those things are just the regular curve balls you have to swing at (and perhaps there is one more I'm overlooking).

One of the funny things is like in your case I'm not at all sure what gets it running. It is doing the same thing approximately 6 times - which makes little sense.

I am accustom to firing everything up with the toggle of the power switch and being ready to rock. I hope I get there soon.
    Last edited by jmh; 10-23-2020 at 10:07 AM. Reason: said x16

UTD (or anyone else in the know),
    Can multiple web clients control the Xseries at the same time. I am thinking of using it just to make a headphone mixes and letting others manage their individual mixes to their own group. It might be like a herd of cats - but an idea I'm playing with...

John

I have no experience with that side of things - sorry.

Does the one you use have a control surface?

The x18s is just a box with I/O, so you must control everything from a remote application. You can do some pretty cool things with it once you get the hang of it. I used one at work for school board meetings (too many mics in combination with built in speakers in poor locations). In that setting, the automix feature alone make it fantastic. I've used it in a variety of additional applications and as I started to know it pretty well, I bought a non-rack one for myself which I'm sure has the same internals for ~100 less I think an oddball input pair has rca instead of xlr - otherwise they appear the same.

Really, I have only used the x32 to get 32 channels into a laptop for recording in SAW a whole lot more often than I have used it for mixing. I've never known anybody who runs the board for live concerts to use a control surface, preferring to just use the console from a static position in the auditorium. We do have a rack unit as well. I sometimes record off the rack unit and sometimes off the console.

But I also have never been able to monitor off the laptop while recording, since I haven't figured out how to send SAW back to the console or rack headphones, so I can hear what's on/in the laptop. I've only been able to monitor off the console or rack before it goes into the computer. So really, I know very little about what the x32 might be capable of.

I used the X18 for a session last night. The Daw return was the only channel patched to the main mix ( although I had a metronome track patched to the mains returning from studio on another output channel which we didn't use). 5 of the busses were used as headphone mixes. I had 3 workstations each of which had the x18 control client running running on it. One for the vocal room, one for the band, and one for me. One of the guys in the band handled each of their headphone mixes (which were mono as there are 6 bus channels). It was kind of cool, you grab a fader on one and (if the fader is visible on the other workstation views), it moves on the other displays - but they can operate independently on different pages.

It all wound up working great. On the next session, I'm going to let a few dBs of instruments pass through hard-panned left or right into the main mix so that each of the instruments will appear somewhere across the stereo field when it's associated mono headphone bus is mixed back in (pulling instuments back toward the center).

I also had other strokes of good luck I had set up 2 ribbon mics aimed at the cathedral ceiling positioned as you would set up a shots on a 3 dimentional pool table where the drum set is one of the pockets. I had no idea if it would work. I had also guessed at preliminary mix before the session started. When I played it back after our mono tracking, we all like, holy **** - teed off right onto the green! (if I were a golfer)

What else, one of the workstations was a raspberry pi running raspian linux and a low resolution lcd display. I am going to set up another 2 of these which would cost $35 each if I didn't already have a couple spares and I'm sure I can get a couple more displays that someone is chucking. The one I was using maybe 1024x768 and the x18 console program looked plenty good.

I did buy one thing for this whole project, which was a presonus HP60 headphone amp which mated up nicely with the individual mono busses and one of the main input pairs as described in this thread.

Still haven't solved the audio driver model not defaulting issue for the x18 - but other than that, a triumph.
    Last edited by jmh; 10-23-2020 at 09:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by UpTilDawn View Post
    First thing to note - are you saving this setup as a default preference and you still need to reopen multiple times to get it to stick? Whether or not you save it as the default preference, or simply as a new preference file that you open each time you open SAW may or may not be relevant... but I just wonder for clarity's sake more than anything else.
    I have saved it as both the default and a file. Loading in the file does not seem to change things. Also, a couple of times I have started the rig up and it is all well without any intervention. It usually takes about 3 trys to get the asio to stick - sometimes several more. You can sort of tell when it finally works as the menu is quickly accessible for accessing those settings where on failed attempts the menu is sluggish for a few seconds waiting for something. I get the sense that studio is waiting for a handshake with the driver and it times out. I would guess that it is a peculiarity with the behringer driver as I have used many interfaces with saw - but on the positive side everything operates fine after the needed number of manual retries.

Quote Originally Posted by jmh View Post
    I had to temporarily swap in a x18 for my presonus ar16 usb mixer. Now with the X18 I have to fiddle with:

Options:Audio Driver Model:Asio Protocol, then select x18

If I do this several times eventually "32 bit integer LSB Format" is shown for Asio Protocol, then all of the channels show up as input output devices.

At this point everything runs fine until I reboot or close saw and reopen it (which is more likely to work than after a new boot - but not assured).

I have saved the properly operational state in preference files and also as default. It is clearly accepting this because my new loopback latency settings have been retained.

Has anyone seen this or have suggestions?

Win 10.
    Picking up this old topic. I finally got the x18 to be functional without intervention.

I saw an article that said certain chipsets that accompany ryzen sometimes have a problem with usb, and that one of the potential workarounds was to try usb3 instead of usb2 ports. I am pretty sure I had tried all of the ports in the back of the machine (which has both 2 & 3), but I tried one of the ports in the front (which are all 3) and voila, it worked - not only that, the waves plugins (license on usb stick which was in the front, and now is in the back) seem to load somewhat faster (an issue I regularly complain about).

https://www.anandtech.com/show/16498...b-connectivity

Hurray!
    Last edited by jmh; 03-03-2021 at 04:42 PM.