Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: SAW and SAC buffer glitching in Windows 10 pc

Quote Originally Posted by jmh View Post
    I had a little issue probably unrelated but on topic, so a footnote for reference.

I decided to mirror the display on the other side of the wall. I also had a wireless keyboard & mouse which I put with the 2nd display. A couple of days later I was getting glitchyness & then underruns. I turned on the switch on the mouse and things returned to normal (almost - but I think the keyboard is not quite as smooth with the 2 plugged in). I have a usb audio interface I don't think it was sharing a channel with the dongle - nevertheless, it introduced chaos.
    I have that problem when I plug a USB drive into the same USB extension that I plug my keyboard and mouse into. It goes away when I use a different USB channel for the stick. It seems odd to me because the keyboard and mouse can't represent much bandwidth compared to the USB stick, and also because it is the same even when not using the USB stick at the time - I can even have it 'ejected' but still plugged in and the problem will persist. Very mysterious.

On some motherboards, a USB channel shares a lane with what you might use for a NVME M.2 drive. You might check that.

Quote Originally Posted by John Ludlow View Post
    I have that problem when I plug a USB drive into the same USB extension that I plug my keyboard and mouse into. It goes away when I use a different USB channel for the stick. It seems odd to me because the keyboard and mouse can't represent much bandwidth compared to the USB stick, and also because it is the same even when not using the USB stick at the time - I can even have it 'ejected' but still plugged in and the problem will persist. Very mysterious.

On some motherboards, a USB channel shares a lane with what you might use for a NVME M.2 drive. You might check that.
    Unfortunately your experiencing one of the drawbacks of USB. As soon as you plug in a keyboard or mouse or any device that are slower USB1 type devices you cripple the USB port because it automatically throttles down all transfers to USB1 speeds for everything on that bus.

You always keep slow USB devices on their own bus. Worse yet, you have to know what physical USB ports are sharing the same internal USB bus, because it effects the USB bus not the physical ports. So just plugging into a separate physical port does not guarantee you are on a separate internal USB bus.
    Last edited by cgrafx; 10-29-2020 at 04:29 PM.
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

Quote Originally Posted by cgrafx View Post
    So just plugging into a separate physical port does not guarantee you are on a separate internal USB bus.
    Yea, I had intentionally plugged the dongle into the front of the machine and the interface in the back. Evidently I have to do a little more research before plugging things in. I'll probably switch to wired key and mouse anyway as I prefer not to use devices with batteries, and see how that works out.

It was actually the fact that the dongle could not see the mouse with the switch turned off that really freaked everything out. Just one of those weird gotchas that can stick it to you...

One more thing good mention on the usb version. I'm a fan of using old stuff kicking around rather than new - but another dimension I had not considered...