Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Current Best Options for Hardware Controller

Dave;

Hi Dave;

Apologies if my reply was addressed to the wrong person. I must've gotten confused as different people asked questions.

I understand the hesitation when people look at the amount of work is involved and Yes
    I went to a few iterations before I arrived at the current working model I published on this forum.

I some ways that is the only way I can cope, little step by little step.

Also to keep on top of the process I ike breadboarding something first,
    prototyping the different functionalities,
    finding the components that have a satisfactory look and feel
    then trying to combine it into a suitable enclosure and a satisfactory outcome.

At one stage I mirror imaged the layout because after I build the unit I realized the layout did not work very well for my preferred right handed operation,
    Since I like using the mouse with my left hand. (otherwise the Enter key would be on left side of the keyboard.)

The things you can do with Arduino are just fantastic.

And so it goes!
    Robert V.
    www.shinustudios.com
    www.art2ear.com

Quote Originally Posted by RobertV View Post
    Dave;

Hi Dave;

Apologies if my reply was addressed to the wrong person. I must've gotten confused as different people asked questions.

I understand the hesitation when people look at the amount of work is involved and Yes
    I went to a few iterations before I arrived at the current working model I published on this forum.

I some ways that is the only way I can cope, little step by little step.

Also to keep on top of the process I ike breadboarding something first,
    prototyping the different functionalities,
    finding the components that have a satisfactory look and feel
    then trying to combine it into a suitable enclosure and a satisfactory outcome.

At one stage I mirror imaged the layout because after I build the unit I realized the layout did not work very well for my preferred right handed operation,
    Since I like using the mouse with my left hand. (otherwise the Enter key would be on left side of the keyboard.)

The things you can do with Arduino are just fantastic.

And so it goes!
    It's really cool, Robert. I'd love to dive in. Maybe one of these days...

You've done a marvelous job. Kudos.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by RobertV View Post
    Hi John;

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3bn9zcfi9...hPsu5zK_a?dl=0

The spacing of the keys are standard keyboard i.e.: 3/4" or 19mm

The recommended PCB has provisions for a specific arduino shield,
    However, because i am using the keypad matrix signals only and want to use added functionality I am using the Arduino shield separate from the Keypad PCB.
    Current project has Polulu A-star32U4 Mini LV (my next project will be using the Teensy 4.0 or even better the 4.1)
    in shortt, I am using (4 pin connectors) x 2 to connect the Keypad to the Arduino.

(sorry about my longhanded way of explaining)

Hope this answers your questions

Cheers
    Thanks - and you've given me an idea. In my day job (sadly I must have one of those - but at the moment it is better than being without), I administer a good sized phone system and have plenty of junk with various types of keypads. I'll have to inspect some of these for this use. I have to open these up to fix them particularly now that they are being sprayed all the time with weird chemicals (this covid response is going to be the death of us).

Quote Originally Posted by jmh View Post
    Thanks - and you've given me an idea. In my day job (sadly I must have one of those - but at the moment it is better than being without), I administer a good sized phone system and have plenty of junk with various types of keypads. I'll have to inspect some of these for this use. I have to open these up to fix them particularly now that they are being sprayed all the time with weird chemicals (this covid response is going to be the death of us).
    Yesterday I watched a meeting where they were cleaning the podium and mic between speakers, and watched as more than once somone sprayed cleaner directly on the mic. After the meeting I called the offending person and explained to him the errur of his ways. Fortunately the internal foam of the mic protected the capsule.
    Cary B. Cornett
    aka "Puzzler"
    www.chinesepuzzlerecording.com

Quote Originally Posted by Cary B. Cornett View Post
    Yesterday I watched a meeting where they were cleaning the podium and mic between speakers, and watched as more than once somone sprayed cleaner directly on the mic. After the meeting I called the offending person and explained to him the errur of his ways. Fortunately the internal foam of the mic protected the capsule.
    Early on, during the nervous days of the crisis, I had taken to microwaving take-out for a few seconds, bag and all, first thing on their way into the house - perhaps on the reasoning that microwaves are demonstrably bad for small dogs, and viruses are also small. One day, my sister lent me her immersion blender and, without thinking, I followed protocol - which resulted in a project to accomplish on Amazon next.