Close

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Video Overlay Output

Sorry, Dave, you sound familiar, but who are you?
    Ian Alexander
    VO Talent/Audio Producer
    www.IanAlexander.com

Quote Originally Posted by John Ludlow View Post
    So, were you just thinking about it and wondering, or do you have an application for three monitors?
    As in the past, my application would be to have SAW on dual monitors and the video whose audio post I'm working on piped to a large TV above.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by jmh View Post
    Are your 2 outputs direct or on videoport (I'm not sure of the official name) whips? We had a ton of dells with that port style and a lot of the whips were Ys that split into 4" cables with a blue vga on one and white dvi on the other, maybe you had one of them? - and seven years ago seems about when we were getting them.
    I don't know what videoport whips are. It's just the motherboard's HDMI and DVI outputs being fed by the i7-2600's on-board GPU. I sure don't remember any kind of split on either of them. But then, there I go depending on my memory, again.
    Becket, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Alexander View Post
    Sorry, Dave, you sound familiar, but who are you?
    Could you repeat that, please?
    Becket, Massachusetts

Update: I'm building a new computer. Came across a buyer who was looking for some PCI slots (which I'd included in my current system (2011 build) for my 2 UAD-1 cards and my Digiface I/O card). I'm moving to an i9-10850k with this Gigabyte mobo, which has three video outs natively and a PCI slot (so I can still run my Digiface if I want, assuming RME has a Windows 10 driver for it).
    Last edited by Dave Labrecque; 11-30-2020 at 12:45 PM.
    Becket, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Labrecque View Post
    Update: I'm building a new computer. Came across a buyer who was looking for some PCI slots (which I'd included in my current system (2011 build) for my 2 UAD-1 cards and my Digiface I/O card). I'm moving to an i9-10850k with this Gigabyte mobo, which has three video outs natively and a PCI slot (so I can still run my Digiface if I want, assuming RME has a Windows 10 driver for it).
    I'm running TotalMix ver. 1.61 and driver version 4.29 as shown in the DSP settings window on a Windows 10, i7 pc and an old Multiface on pci card. It's working fine. 4.29 was released in 2019, I believe.

As in the past, my application would be to have SAW on dual monitors and the video whose audio post I'm working on piped to a large TV above.
    If that was the case I was going to suggest that USB connectivity to a monitor might be worth looking into. But - 3 HDMI ports coming out of the motherboard sounds vastly superior. Also - that chip has a very good single thread performance rating - probably even better overclocked. But, I'll bet you already know that.

Quote Originally Posted by UpTilDawn View Post
    I'm running TotalMix ver. 1.61 and driver version 4.29 as shown in the DSP settings window on a Windows 10, i7 pc and an old Multiface on pci card. It's working fine. 4.29 was released in 2019, I believe.
    Great to hear, thanks. I figured. The RME guys have a history of updating drivers way into the future. I don't know if anyone else does it to the extent that they do.

This just in: three days ago I bought the great-band-for-the-buck i9-10850k at what seemed like a pretty darned good price. Today the price dropped $60. D'oh!

UPDATE from the "Well, it can't hurt to try" department: I browser-chatted with a B&H rep moments ago, explaining that I bought a bunch of stuff online over the weekend, including the CPU chip, and that today the chip's price dropped $60, and I asked if I could get a credit for the amount of the price change. He said yes.

RE: B&H... their prices are almost always the lowest, and sometimes their "free priority shipping" gets to me (NYC to Western Massachusetts) the next day! They also offer a credit card that immediately rebates you the amount of your state's sales tax on any purchase paid for with the card. These guys are pretty damn near perfect in my book.
    Last edited by Dave Labrecque; 12-01-2020 at 01:39 PM.
    Becket, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by John Ludlow View Post
    If that was the case I was going to suggest that USB connectivity to a monitor might be worth looking into. But - 3 HDMI ports coming out of the motherboard sounds vastly superior. Also - that chip has a very good single thread performance rating - probably even better overclocked. But, I'll bet you already know that.
    Interesting about this USB video angle. I know nothing about that. Audio sync has gotta be a challenge, no? Or is it a set-it-and-forget-it kind of thing?

The new mobo is three-head, natively, but, as seems to be the norm (and don't ask me why), the designers elected for a mixed variety of output types: HDMI, DVI, and Sub-D! What's up with that?

My male ego got me excited about the overclocking potential, but the realist in me doesn't see myself ever getting around to that, frankly. That's also the reason I opted for a less-expensive H470 instead of a Z490 chipset/board. 2933 MHz (the H470 chipset's max) for 16 GB of RAM oughta be plenty for recording and editing audio. Considering this CPU is about four times as powerful (according to some benchmark I saw) as my current i7 chip, along with a bunch more UAD-2/Apollo processing I'm adding, I think I'll be fine.

Regardless, I know there will always be a little overclocking-anxious voice in my head fantasizing, "But this could go to eleven..."
    Last edited by Dave Labrecque; 12-07-2020 at 07:41 AM.
    Becket, Massachusetts

I don't know what videoport whips are. It's just the motherboard's HDMI and DVI outputs being fed by the i7-2600's on-board GPU. I sure don't remember any kind of split on either of them. But then, there I go depending on my memory, again.
    I think you are right about the P750 - I used to do the very same thing... SS stretched across two monitors and VV chosen to "Render Real Time To External Monitor", which showed up on my TV.
    Carl G.
    Voice Talent/Audio Producer
    www.creativetrax.com