Close

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Video Overlay Output

Boy, is this gonna sound dumb.

In my studio setup in Tucson (eight years ago) I had dual monitors for SAW and a big TV hung over them for SAW's dedicated Video Viewer overlay output. I'm still using the same computer, but for the life of me I can't remember where the TV was getting it's signal! I used the two digital outputs from the CPU's integrated video, one for each monitor. But where was the TV getting it's signal from? Anybody? I'm pretty sure I didn't give up a monitor whenever I wanted to do audio post for video. WTH?
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Default Re: Video Overlay Output

The video viewer options menu (the blue pyramid icon)... one of the video external render options. The video graphics of the computer should be setup as dual monitor extended... that way only the video viewer output would appear on the second monitor.

Bob L

Quote Originally Posted by Bob L View Post
    The video viewer options menu (the blue pyramid icon)... one of the video external render options. The video graphics of the computer should be setup as dual monitor extended... that way only the video viewer output would appear on the second monitor.

Bob L
    Okay, but I must've somehow had three physical video connections, right? Monitor 1, monitor 2, and TV (for SAW video viewer). My motherboard only has two outputs: 1 DVI and 1 HDMI. Any thoughts on how I might've made that work? How would the TV have received it's signal in addition to my two monitors?

Thanks.
    Becket, Massachusetts

Blog Entries

Dave,

What type of video card were you using back then?

What of a dedicated video capture-type card?

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    Dave,

What type of video card were you using back then?

What of a dedicated video capture-type card?
    No video adapter card, no capture card. Just the two digital outs from the GPU on an i7-2600 chip/motherboard. Same system I'm still using, but I haven't hooked up a TV in years.

It's crazy that I just can't remember how I did it. Don't ever get old.
    Becket, Massachusetts

Blog Entries

Dave,

A VGA splitter of some sort ... as here...

What type of input on the TV?

Update: I'm building a new computer. Came across a buyer who was looking for some PCI slots (which I'd included in my current system (2011 build) for my 2 UAD-1 cards and my Digiface I/O card). I'm moving to an i9-10850k with this Gigabyte mobo, which has three video outs natively and a PCI slot (so I can still run my Digiface if I want, assuming RME has a Windows 10 driver for it).
    Last edited by Dave Labrecque; 11-30-2020 at 12:45 PM.
    Becket, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Labrecque View Post
    Update: I'm building a new computer. Came across a buyer who was looking for some PCI slots (which I'd included in my current system (2011 build) for my 2 UAD-1 cards and my Digiface I/O card). I'm moving to an i9-10850k with this Gigabyte mobo, which has three video outs natively and a PCI slot (so I can still run my Digiface if I want, assuming RME has a Windows 10 driver for it).
    I'm running TotalMix ver. 1.61 and driver version 4.29 as shown in the DSP settings window on a Windows 10, i7 pc and an old Multiface on pci card. It's working fine. 4.29 was released in 2019, I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by UpTilDawn View Post
    I'm running TotalMix ver. 1.61 and driver version 4.29 as shown in the DSP settings window on a Windows 10, i7 pc and an old Multiface on pci card. It's working fine. 4.29 was released in 2019, I believe.
    Great to hear, thanks. I figured. The RME guys have a history of updating drivers way into the future. I don't know if anyone else does it to the extent that they do.

This just in: three days ago I bought the great-band-for-the-buck i9-10850k at what seemed like a pretty darned good price. Today the price dropped $60. D'oh!

UPDATE from the "Well, it can't hurt to try" department: I browser-chatted with a B&H rep moments ago, explaining that I bought a bunch of stuff online over the weekend, including the CPU chip, and that today the chip's price dropped $60, and I asked if I could get a credit for the amount of the price change. He said yes.

RE: B&H... their prices are almost always the lowest, and sometimes their "free priority shipping" gets to me (NYC to Western Massachusetts) the next day! They also offer a credit card that immediately rebates you the amount of your state's sales tax on any purchase paid for with the card. These guys are pretty damn near perfect in my book.
    Last edited by Dave Labrecque; 12-01-2020 at 01:39 PM.
    Becket, Massachusetts