Close

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Video Overlay Output

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Labrecque View Post
    Nosir. Never heard of such a thing.

When I first started using SAW for audio-for-video, I had a Matrox video card (whatever happened to Matrox, anyway?), which, I think, had a separate output for the overlay. But then when I built my i7 system, I went to integrated video, so I have no idea what I was doing.
    Hey Dave was it a Matrox P750? cause it had 3 VGA outputs

Warren
    Warren @ The Masters Tracks

Smile Re: Video Overlay Output

If you want three separate images on three displays you need three "heads". Many years ago you could also go FireWire to a device for a Video Viewer additional output.
    Last edited by MMP; 11-23-2020 at 08:36 AM.
    Michael McInnis Productions

Well... if you were using the HDMI input to your TV then maybe you were using a USB->HDMI converter?

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=usb+to+hdmi&t=brave&ia=web

I've never used one myself, but a couple of the other programmers, at the last shop I worked at, used one to drive a third monitor - and it seemed to be successful. Or, anyway, I never heard any grumbling.

Also. The extended video for the VV usually defaults to the second output on your primary video card. You cannot choose which video out it uses. I am uncertain if video overlay is supported anywhere, anymore. Not on any of my last few computer systems at the very least.
    Last edited by MMP; 11-23-2020 at 06:50 AM.
    Michael McInnis Productions

Quote Originally Posted by MMP View Post
    If you want three separate images on three displays you need three "heads". Many years ago you could also go FireWire to a device for a Video Veiwer additional output.
    This is my guess as to what Dave was doing. (assuming it was the same computer/machine as he currently has)

Only other option would have been a second video card or a triple-head matrox I would think.

Good luck Dave.
    Last edited by Naturally Digital; 11-23-2020 at 08:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren View Post
    Hey Dave was it a Matrox P750? cause it had 3 VGA outputs

Warren
    Sounds right, Warren. But what, then, when I went to the i7's GPU? I'm starting to wonder if I skipped the TV at that point. It was shortly before I moved to Massachusetts (and haven't had a TV connected since).
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Thanks, everyone. I'm starting to think that I went from a triple-head Matrox (750 sounds right) to the dual-head i7 GPU, at which point I disconnected the TV and just worked from my second monitor for video. Weird how I don't remember stuff, anymore. I'd have thought that would have been a memorable "downgrade." And it seems so against my nature that I would've been okay with that.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Thanks, everyone. I'm starting to think that I went from a triple-head Matrox (750 sounds right) to the dual-head i7 GPU, at which point I disconnected the TV and just worked from my second monitor for video. Weird how I don't remember stuff, anymore. I'd have thought that would have been a memorable "downgrade." And it seems so against my nature that I would've been okay with that.
    Yea getting older sucks, blurry eyes, grunt all the time and the memory of a gold fish.
    Glad you got it sorted.
    All the best

Warren
    Warren @ The Masters Tracks

So, were you just thinking about it and wondering, or do you have an application for three monitors?

Are your 2 outputs direct or on videoport (I'm not sure of the official name) whips? We had a ton of dells with that port style and a lot of the whips were Ys that split into 4" cables with a blue vga on one and white dvi on the other, maybe you had one of them? - and seven years ago seems about when we were getting them.