Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Video Overlay Output

Boy, is this gonna sound dumb.

In my studio setup in Tucson (eight years ago) I had dual monitors for SAW and a big TV hung over them for SAW's dedicated Video Viewer overlay output. I'm still using the same computer, but for the life of me I can't remember where the TV was getting it's signal! I used the two digital outputs from the CPU's integrated video, one for each monitor. But where was the TV getting it's signal from? Anybody? I'm pretty sure I didn't give up a monitor whenever I wanted to do audio post for video. WTH?
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Default Re: Video Overlay Output

The video viewer options menu (the blue pyramid icon)... one of the video external render options. The video graphics of the computer should be setup as dual monitor extended... that way only the video viewer output would appear on the second monitor.

Bob L

Quote Originally Posted by Bob L View Post
    The video viewer options menu (the blue pyramid icon)... one of the video external render options. The video graphics of the computer should be setup as dual monitor extended... that way only the video viewer output would appear on the second monitor.

Bob L
    Okay, but I must've somehow had three physical video connections, right? Monitor 1, monitor 2, and TV (for SAW video viewer). My motherboard only has two outputs: 1 DVI and 1 HDMI. Any thoughts on how I might've made that work? How would the TV have received it's signal in addition to my two monitors?

Thanks.
    Becket, Massachusetts

Blog Entries

Dave,

What type of video card were you using back then?

What of a dedicated video capture-type card?

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    Dave,

What type of video card were you using back then?

What of a dedicated video capture-type card?
    No video adapter card, no capture card. Just the two digital outs from the GPU on an i7-2600 chip/motherboard. Same system I'm still using, but I haven't hooked up a TV in years.

It's crazy that I just can't remember how I did it. Don't ever get old.
    Becket, Massachusetts

Blog Entries

Dave,

A VGA splitter of some sort ... as here...

What type of input on the TV?

Maybe the TVs in Massachusetts use a different format than Arizona?

Seriously, we live in that situation with respect to time. Anyway, several of those formats can have dvi or hdmi on one end of the cable, and something else like component or video on an rca jack on the other end. Could it have been that you used something like that?

I use Raspberry Pis as backup phone servers in several buildings using hdmi on one cable end and dvi on the other connected to old lcds that our department would otherwise be throwing out to deploy a low cost rig. In fact, I am replicating these in the studio for self headphone mixing on buses of a behringer X18 (which among the usuals, have a linux client). The X18 has 6 buses. It would be cool if there were a few more - then everyone could have stereo. Of course it only worked because the guys in the band I was working with knew what they are doing - although if you put a piece of software in front of younger people, they tend to grasp it pretty quick - especially compared to me.

Thanks, guys. The TV has several different inputs. I either used HDMI or, more likely, VGA. The problem is I don't remember how I got signal to it. The computer only has the HDMI and DVI outs. Maybe I used a splitter, but that sure doesn't seem familiar.

Assuming I did split the TV off of monitor 2: wouldn't that mean that when I was using the TV for video from SAW's video track, I would not be able to stretch SAW across both monitors (cuz monitor 2 and the TV share a signal)? I thought for sure I had two monitors of SAW and the video track output on the TV! I feel like I'm missing something really simple, but it's just not coming to me.
    Becket, Massachusetts

Blog Entries

Dave,

Were you using some kind of monitor splitting software?

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    Dave,

Were you using some kind of monitor splitting software?
    Nosir. Never heard of such a thing.

When I first started using SAW for audio-for-video, I had a Matrox video card (whatever happened to Matrox, anyway?), which, I think, had a separate output for the overlay. But then when I built my i7 system, I went to integrated video, so I have no idea what I was doing.
    Becket, Massachusetts