Close

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Default Re: Video Overlay Output

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Labrecque View Post
    Interesting about this USB video angle. I know nothing about that. Audio sync has gotta be a challenge, no? Or is it a set-it-and-forget-it kind of thing?
    Well, as I mentioned, I've never used it. It was sufficient for some programmers at the shop to have three separate HDMI monitors on their desks. But, that doesn't involve sync at all. They'd just have code up there on a couple, and a compiler/running database application on another. So it might not work at all. On the other hand, if you noticed, it is a relatively cheap solution and thus experimentation could be warranted if other routes do not work out.

The new mobo is three-head, natively, but, as seems to be the norm (and don't ask me why), the designers elected for a mixed variety of output types: HDMI, DVI, and Sub-D! What's up with that?
    Oh, that's so that you have the option to use a monitor with one of several standards. I've used HDMI and DVI together before. But, I don't know what 'Sub-D' is.

My male ego got me excited about the overclocking potential, but the realist in me doesn't see myself ever getting around to that, frankly. That's also the reason I opted for a less-expensive H470 instead of a Z490 chipset/board. 2933 MHz (the H470 chipset's max) for 16 GB of RAM oughta be plenty for recording and editing audio. Considering this CPU is about four times as powerful (according to some benchmark I saw) as my current i7 chip, along with a bunch more UAD-2/Apollo processing I'm adding, I think I'll be fine.
    Well, I presumed that you chose it for overclocking because of the 'K' in the processor name. Those are unlocked and have generally been tested to be capable of running at a higher clock rate than it is rated for (although some are better than others). And - it cost you more for that reason. I presume there's another chip model that came off that exact same line that isn't overclock-able and costs less, but is otherwise identical.

Of course, SAC/SAW and central processors are generally a crap shoot no matter what. But, some multi-core processors are rated fast due to how the cores work together and how many cores there are. Whereas SAC/SAW, as we know, is mostly a single core application. If each of those single cores is relatively slow then you won't get the performance you were hoping for from just the one. Still, in spite of the compatibility vagaries, it has seemed to me that choosing a chip with fast single core performance might well give one a better chance of resulting in better SAC/SAW performance too. And you have chosen one of the top 4 Intel chips so far as single threaded performance is concerned (which impressed me...). It will also have 9 other cores that are mostly going to stand around smoking cigarettes, telling each other dirty jokes, and collecting paychecks. But, that one worker should be pretty good. And, not only that, it can be made to go faster if you go to a little trouble to cool the chip. But, as you surmise, you probably won't need it.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl G. View Post
    I think you are right about the P750 - I used to do the very same thing... SS stretched across two monitors and VV chosen to "Render Real Time To External Monitor", which showed up on my TV.
    Yep. But then I built my i7 system and used the two integrated gpu outs from the mobo, so I have no idea how I did it post-Matrox. It shall remain a mystery, I guess.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by John Ludlow View Post
    Oh, that's so that you have the option to use a monitor with one of several standards. I've used HDMI and DVI together before. But, I don't know what 'Sub-D' is.
    I suppose three options are good if you're doing a single monitor. Otherwise, unless you happen to have a mixed pair (or triad), you gotta buy cables or adapters. That was my experience last time. My twin monitors came with DVI and "VGA" ins but only DVI cables. Mobo had HDMI and DVI outs. But I suppose if your twin monitors have DVI in and my proposed motherboard has all HDMI outs, you're still buying adapters. So I get it.

Sub-D is the analog-out connector that's often referred to as "VGA," though that's an old, low-rez standard; much higher resolutions are coming through that same connector these days.

Well, I presumed that you chose it for overclocking because of the 'K' in the processor name. Those are unlocked and have generally been tested to be capable of running at a higher clock rate than it is rated for (although some are better than others). And - it cost you more for that reason. I presume there's another chip model that came off that exact same line that isn't overclock-able and costs less, but is otherwise identical.
    There is no 10850 sans-K offering that I've seen. Thus my choosing the unlocked version. The decision was simply a cost/benefit thing. And it seemed like a good ratio, although it still broke my original no-more-than-$300-for-the-CPU budget. Again, though, my macho-wannabe side likes having the overclocking option that I'll likely never use.

Of course, SAC/SAW and central processors are generally a crap shoot no matter what. But, some multi-core processors are rated fast due to how the cores work together and how many cores there are. Whereas SAC/SAW, as we know, is mostly a single core application. If each of those single cores is relatively slow then you won't get the performance you were hoping for from just the one. Still, in spite of the compatibility vagaries, it has seemed to me that choosing a chip with fast single core performance might well give one a better chance of resulting in better SAC/SAW performance too. And you have chosen one of the top 4 Intel chips so far as single threaded performance is concerned (which impressed me...). It will also have 9 other cores that are mostly going to stand around smoking cigarettes, telling each other dirty jokes, and collecting paychecks. But, that one worker should be pretty good. And, not only that, it can be made to go faster if you go to a little trouble to cool the chip. But, as you surmise, you probably won't need it.
    LOL I intend to use the other cores, to be sure. And, yeah, SAW should be plenty happy on one of these ten.

Another thing occurs to me vis-Ã*-vis overclocking: Job One for the new box will be to stay silent. The super-quiet cooler I bought seems like it would have some cooling headroom, but moving to another, louder, cooler to accommodate a too-hot CPU would not be attractive to me.
    Last edited by Dave Labrecque; 12-03-2020 at 09:37 AM.
    Becket, Massachusetts

Another thing occurs to me vis-Ã*-vis overclocking: Job One for the new box will be to stay silent. The super-quiet cooler I bought seems like it would have some cooling headroom, but moving to another, louder, cooler to accommodate a too-hot CPU would not be attractive to me.
    Probably no need for it, but if you did you'd probably want to go to water cooling. They have some nifty all-in-one water coolers these days that reduce the hassle factor (and the fear) to next to nothing. And, since the radiator doesn't have to be physically bolted to the processor, they can be relatively large and sport extra fans that, therefore, can run slowly to do the same amount of cooling. Fast fans are what make noise.

I built a gaming machine with an 8086K that I overclocked by 25%. It has the first water cooler (https://www.thermaltake.com/C_000031...?id=C_00003122) I've ever installed in one of my machines. The radiator has 3 fans that are whisper quiet while the processor is running at 5GHz. Plus, it has crazy LED lights that change color if there is heat danger and a case with smoky glass front and back so you can see more clearly what happened to all my money. Makes other living rooms look out of style. Maybe not what you need in your studio though.

I thought of something else that might be of use. If you physically separate noise producing machinery (like fans) from sound boxes (like cases) you will drastically reduce resulting sound. Micro Center sells bolt replacements that are made of an elastic material that will both hold something like a fan in place while also separating them from what they are attached to. They're really slick. You stick them through what would be the screw hole for, for instance, a fan and the case and then pull hard on the other end. The fan ends up suspended and held in place a fraction of an inch from the case with a thin layer of the elastic material in between the fan and the case. And since there's no bolt holding them together, and no direct contact, there is also no vibration transfer. You'll find them in the build-your-own section - six or eight in a hang-on-the wall type card. They're cheap too. I always forget what they're called but when I describe them the salesman always knows what I'm talking about. Maybe that will transfer to MA too.

Probably no need for it, but if you did you'd probably want to go to water cooling. They have some nifty all-in-one water coolers these days that reduce the hassle factor (and the fear) to next to nothing. And, since the radiator doesn't have to be physically bolted to the processor, they can be relatively large and sport extra fans that, therefore, can run slowly to do the same amount of cooling. Fast fans are what make noise.

I built a gaming machine with an 8086K that I overclocked by 25%. It has the first water cooler (https://www.thermaltake.com/C_000031...?id=C_00003122) I've ever installed in one of my machines. The radiator has 3 fans that are whisper quiet while the processor is running at 5GHz. Plus, it has crazy LED lights that change color if there is heat danger and a case with smoky glass front and back so you can see more clearly what happened to all my money. Makes other living rooms look out of style. Maybe not what you need in your studio though.
    Never ventured into water cooling. What you say makes sense about the potential for remote, big, slow, quiet fans.

>>with smoky glass front and back so you can see more clearly what happened to all my money.<<

LOL.
    Becket, Massachusetts

I thought of something else that might be of use. If you physically separate noise producing machinery (like fans) from sound boxes (like cases) you will drastically reduce resulting sound. Micro Center sells bolt replacements that are made of an elastic material that will both hold something like a fan in place while also separating them from what they are attached to. They're really slick. You stick them through what would be the screw hole for, for instance, a fan and the case and then pull hard on the other end. The fan ends up suspended and held in place a fraction of an inch from the case with a thin layer of the elastic material in between the fan and the case. And since there's no bolt holding them together, and no direct contact, there is also no vibration transfer. You'll find them in the build-your-own section - six or eight in a hang-on-the wall type card. They're cheap too. I always forget what they're called but when I describe them the salesman always knows what I'm talking about. Maybe that will transfer to MA too.
    Some of the quiet coolers and fans use such mechanical isolation tech, I think. Interesting, though, that you can buy such third-party isolating fasteners. I did not know that. Something like this?

Now that I see 'em, they look familiar. I think I've seen those before in situ. Maybe inside my current Antec Solo quiet case?

Super-great idea.
    Becket, Massachusetts

Some of the quiet coolers and fans use such mechanical isolation tech, I think. Interesting, though, that you can buy such third-party isolating fasteners. I did not know that. Something like this?

Now that I see 'em, they look familiar. I think I've seen those before in situ. Maybe inside my current Antec Solo quiet case?

Super-great idea.
    Yep. Those are it alright. Notice the second band on the stubby end? Presuming that you go through the fan and then through the case, when you pull hard on the skinny end from the case side, that first band gets pulled through the fan hole - but not through the case hole. And the 'golf tee top' part goes all the way through the case, resisting it pulling out. Pull it harder until you hear a popping sound (the second band going through). So then you have silicone/case/silicone/fan/silicone - resulting in the fan being held in place but also physical vibration isolation. And all at a price that cannot be beat. Highly recommended.

My local Micro Center has a genius hardware guy in the build-it-yourself section who can't possibly be being paid enough to work there. He seems to be up on every technology and understands the whys as well as the hows. He's very soft-spoken and he shaves a third of his scalp - but only on one side - and on the other side his hair is several inches long. His manager knows which side his bread is buttered on. Whenever I venture into the tech unknown I swing by to visit him for advice - and then I buy something. It's like going to see the oracle. He turned me on to these.

Yep. Those are it alright. Notice the second band on the stubby end? Presuming that you go through the fan and then through the case, when you pull hard on the skinny end from the case side, that first band gets pulled through the fan hole - but not through the case hole. And the 'golf tee top' part goes all the way through the case, resisting it pulling out. Pull it harder until you hear a popping sound (the second band going through). So then you have silicone/case/silicone/fan/silicone - resulting in the fan being held in place but also physical vibration isolation. And all at a price that cannot be beat. Highly recommended.

My local Micro Center has a genius hardware guy in the build-it-yourself section who can't possibly be being paid enough to work there. He seems to be up on every technology and understands the whys as well as the hows. He's very soft-spoken and he shaves a third of his scalp - but only on one side - and on the other side his hair is several inches long. His manager knows which side his bread is buttered on. Whenever I venture into the tech unknown I swing by to visit him for advice - and then I buy something. It's like going to see the oracle. He turned me on to these.
    Love it.

Silly question: how to you remove these fasteners if you need to R&R a fan? Do you just pull 'em through? Drill 'em out? Melt them out? Liquid nitrogen and a hammer?
    Last edited by Dave Labrecque; 12-09-2020 at 07:54 PM.
    Becket, Massachusetts

Love it.

Sill question: how to you remove these fasteners if you need to R&R a fan? Do you just pull 'em through? Drill 'emout? Melt them out? Liquid nitrogen and a hammer?
    I've never seen anything official about that. When I've done it, I stretched the skinny end out and cut them off with an Exacto knife. Hence the periodic need to inquire with a Microcenter salesman about buying more. But, again - they're cheap. I guess it's possible that you could use a pair of needle nose to yank them out the other side. Maybe even stretch the skinny end out with your fingers while pulling with the needle nose on the thick side. But... that sounds like a hassle, and maybe the needle nose gets loose and snaps an expansion board in half before scraping some components off the motherboard? I don't know. I went with fastener destruction and bought more. Did I mention that they're cheap?

But if I'd thought of liquid nitrogen and a hammer, and had some available, I might have tried that just on GP. Damn the risk.