Close

Default OT Remote desktop within LAN

As I work to improve my control room, I need to take acoustic measurements to assess results of changes. Based on recommendations from a friend who is a studio designer, I will be using Room EQ Wizard with a UMIK-1 measurement microphone. I have to put the mic where my head would be, which means my head (along with the rest of me) has to be somewhere else. This means I need to control my studio computer remotely.

I will be in the next room, so I don't need to use the Internet for this, but it seems most remote desktop utilities assume you are far away. Now I have to ask one of those dumb "what is the best" questions. I want a remote desktop utility that can operate directly on the local network, not needing to bounce to web and back. It needs run in both Windows 10 and XP. Years ago I used VNC, but I don't know whether that is still the best choice for this. Recommendations?
    Cary B. Cornett
    aka "Puzzler"
    www.chinesepuzzlerecording.com

Default Re: OT Remote desktop within LAN

Quote Originally Posted by Cary B. Cornett View Post
    As I work to improve my control room, I need to take acoustic measurements to assess results of changes. Based on recommendations from a friend who is a studio designer, I will be using Room EQ Wizard with a UMIK-1 measurement microphone. I have to put the mic where my head would be, which means my head (along with the rest of me) has to be somewhere else. This means I need to control my studio computer remotely.

I will be in the next room, so I don't need to use the Internet for this, but it seems most remote desktop utilities assume you are far away. Now I have to ask one of those dumb "what is the best" questions. I want a remote desktop utility that can operate directly on the local network, not needing to bounce to web and back. It needs run in both Windows 10 and XP. Years ago I used VNC, but I don't know whether that is still the best choice for this. Recommendations?
    TigerVNC is claiming to be a bit better at dealing with the video, haven't had a chance yet to try it thou.

Warren
    Warren @ The Masters Tracks

Blog Entries

Carey,

Try AnyDesk...I am using this software for all of my remote work...some 300+ clients at present......both in house and via the Internet.

Give me a call sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    Carey,

Try AnyDesk...I am using this software for all of my remote work...some 300+ clients at present......both in house and via the Internet.

Give me a call sometime.
    I have AnyDesk (at your recommendation) and I have used it with very good results over distance, but it apparently requires a pass through a remote server, and I was hoping for an option that would operate entirely within the confines of my local network. Or is that a silly wish on my part?

I have tried calling, but must have picked wrong times because I got an "unavailable" message. Hope all is well at your house.
    Cary B. Cornett
    aka "Puzzler"

Blog Entries

Carey,

You can use Windows Remote Desktop peer-to-peer.

However, according to this tid-bit, you can use AnyDesk peer-to-peer...see here...

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    Carey,

You can use Windows Remote Desktop peer-to-peer.

However, according to this tid-bit, you can use AnyDesk peer-to-peer...see here...
    Just read the thread. Thanks!
    Cary B. Cornett
    aka "Puzzler"

Quote Originally Posted by Cary B. Cornett View Post

I use Windows Remote Desktop here every day. My LAN is offline and I use static IPs so I just type the IP in RD and log in. As long as you don't need to leave the remote computer's screen active and visible RD performs quite well. (I've never played with remote assistance so maybe that works...)

Another thing I do is use long video cables (up to 50' HDMI, HDMI to DVI, DVI) and active USB extension cables.

I purchase these from Infinite Cables here in Toronto. I'm linking to them so you can compare pricing (they are good value IMO) and because I can vouch for the products. Their video cables and USB extension cables have worked for me and been stable under studio conditions. Other brands I have little experience with.

So, I tried AnyDesk for the first time just inside my network (it probably still involves their server), and found out it has a feature for automatically discovering other computers on the LAN that have AnyDesk installed. I tried it, and it works well. Now to climb Mt Learning Curve with Room EQ Wizard...

Thanks to all for your suggestions.
    Cary B. Cornett
    aka "Puzzler"