Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Migrating to 64 bit

Hello guys! I hope everyone is doing well. First, a big congratulations to Bob on the 64 bit release!!

I have been distracted from studio work with teaching, grad school, and lots of crazy hobbies. The studio is no longer a source of income for me, but who knows what may happen down the road. That said, the 64 bit version of SAW is insurance for the future and I want to support this. And SAW is my favorite workstation and works for most of the projects I do.

I do not think I can let go of the 32 bit version of SAW because of all the plug-ins I have working there. But, I would like to get a 64 bit version working with a few basic plug-ins. So, my first thought was to get Waves version 9 working with the 64 bit plugs, but the waveshell extractor says the source is invalid when I drop the 64 bit waveshell dll on it. Any advice on that? Getting that working would get me going with a reverb. My go-to reverb is the Anwida one, but that is a wait and see situation. I am looking forward to the upcoming SAW reverb too. So, what are you guys running for reverb in SAW 64 at the moment and any advice on the Waves 64 bit monkey business? Is there a 64 bit waveshell extractor? Many thanks

Default Re: Migrating to 64 bit

Hi, you have Valhalla reverb, pretty good for the money.
    And you can find : shell2vst64.exe
    Regards

Quote Originally Posted by ivanoff View Post
    Regards
    Okay, got it. The shell2vst was a zip file with both 32 and 64 bit versions inside. The 64 bit waves plugs (version 9) appear to be working. Thanks.
    Last edited by Grekim; 12-19-2020 at 04:45 AM.

I wouldn't jump through the Waves hoops just for one reverb. There are so many options available elsewhere. Of course, I realize you may want to get your Waves plugins working.

Which reverb are you using?

I recently discovered ImpulseRecord/WaveArts' ConvologyXT (free with a small collection of samples) and lo and behold they put the Complete collection of vintage samples on sale for Dec. It's very affordable.

I use Liquidsonics Reverberate 3. They have some more and less expensive options also.

Valhalla, Exponential Audio - both have outstanding products.

There are some free ones and others mentioned here on the forum. Recently, Dragonfly is one.

Many, many others I'm not mentioning...
    Last edited by Naturally Digital; 12-17-2020 at 05:55 PM.

Thanks for the ideas! Just using the IR-L convolution, usually the plate. But, Spazio was what I was mainly using for several years.

I'm a big fan of 2CAudio's Aether reverb. I've been using it since before SAW64. It's not cheap (although cheaper than it was when I bought it) but it feels more sophisticated than the other ones I use and sometimes sophistication is what I'm looking for. It's also not easy, but that's sometimes a price I'm willing to pay for enormous depth and diversity. And I've appreciated the free upgrades over the years. They have a free trial.

https://www.2caudio.com/products/aether

Quote Originally Posted by ivanoff View Post
    Regards
    +1 for Valhalla. Great reverb, and the developer sends out occasional updates that keep improving it. I'll have to give Aether another go. I haven't taken a look at it in several years.
    Currently using:
    T43p Thinkpad w/XP SP3 for FOH, Subs and Front Fill Mixes (20% CPU load);
    T500 Thinkpad w/Win7 SP1 for 6 Monitor Mixes (15% CPU load)
    Running at 2x32
    2 Digifaces, 1 w/CardBus, 1 w/ExpressCard
    3-Octamic-D for mic inputs - using the dual outputs to split the ADAT signal to the Digifaces;
    1-RME ADI-8 Pro for all FOH sends; 1-RME ADI-8 Pro for all Monitor sends;

Blog Entries

ivanoff,
    Hi, you have Valhalla reverb, pretty good for the money...
    ... Ivan, I could not agree with you more!

These plug-ins install very safely and are not resource-intensive in any what whatsoever.

Also, Sean Costello is a master in the art of reverbs.
    Last edited by mr_es335; 12-18-2020 at 02:48 PM.

I assume that the 64 bit SAW will open a 32-bit edl, but not the other way around? And how many of you guys have moved on to Windows 10? I am still running 7 (64 bit) here.

Quote Originally Posted by Grekim View Post
    I assume that the 64 bit SAW will open a 32-bit edl, but not the other way around? And how many of you guys have moved on to Windows 10? I am still running 7 (64 bit) here.
    I am (w10-64 LTSC). It's working for me. And I like it much better than the conventional W10 on my gaming machine, which is full of bloat-ware and constantly re-boots itself after unannounced updates. So far there's just one thing I haven't been able to figure out how to get around. If I copy a file to an open w explorer directory, and it should sort to the top, there is no 'View/refresh' to put it there. I have to close the window and re-open it. That's annoying.