Blog Entries

Default Re: Migrating to 64 bit

John,

How many on the WIN10 system?

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    John,

How many on the WIN10 system?
    Ummmmm... gaming machine currently has 149. And it's mostly just sitting there idling.

So. Enough. Why do you ask?

Quote Originally Posted by jmh View Post
    I have 12 on ss64 on w10. I had to get a patched version of the installer for my 64bit w7 box from their tech support. I think I wound up with v12 on both ss & ss64 on w10 and ss64/w7. If you want I can verify this and dig up the email chain. I don't want to buy any more from them too much pain
    Thank you for your quick reply! Do you mean that all I have to do is contact tech support with this issue? Is there any things to consider how to present the problem? The only plugin that doesn't work is the new RS124 compressor because it's not included in version 11.

Quote Originally Posted by randombass View Post
    Thank you for your quick reply! Do you mean that all I have to do is contact tech support with this issue? Is there any things to consider how to present the problem? The only plugin that doesn't work is the new RS124 compressor because it's not included in version 11.
    So you are able to unpack v11 but not 12?

Despite all of my complaints about waves, I have to say the support guy I was working with was relatively responsive. The first thing he said was that studio is not supported - nevertheless he was kind of helpful.

I think I got it mixed up I may have SS64 win10 on v12 and everything else on v10. I couldn't even verify this as I dualbooted my linux laptop into windows - didn't have rs124 - but don't know if my bundle even has it. I couldn't load it anyway, because of the f(&^%*^%$ing usb license dongle is in the main machine. This thread is reawakening my contempt for that company.

Anyway if you are installing on win 7 (64?) you may need to contact waves support:

Unzip the downloaded file and run the Waves Central Windows 7 Install Fixed.exe file to install the custom build of Central.

They have to give you a password that authenticates off microsoft (which in my case my work was already using this for some other purpose, so it added to the BS) to obtain that file.

If memory serves, I might have had to put shell2dll in the folder with their vst shells and then drag the resulting dlls into saw.

If you have everything working but one plugin, you may be already be as good as you can be - or is that for something other than saw vsts?

Finally what OS are you running on as you say you are on 11 (they told me to select 10)?

Blog Entries

Hello,

i would suggest Valhalla VintageVerb...a very versatile 'verb!

So you are able to unpack v11 but not 12?

Despite all of my complaints about waves, I have to say the support guy I was working with was relatively responsive. The first thing he said was that studio is not supported - nevertheless he was kind of helpful.

I think I got it mixed up I may have SS64 win10 on v12 and everything else on v10. I couldn't even verify this as I dualbooted my linux laptop into windows - didn't have rs124 - but don't know if my bundle even has it. I couldn't load it anyway, because of the f(&^%*^%$ing usb license dongle is in the main machine. This thread is reawakening my contempt for that company.

Anyway if you are installing on win 7 (64?) you may need to contact waves support:

Unzip the downloaded file and run the Waves Central Windows 7 Install Fixed.exe file to install the custom build of Central.

They have to give you a password that authenticates off microsoft (which in my case my work was already using this for some other purpose, so it added to the BS) to obtain that file.

If memory serves, I might have had to put shell2dll in the folder with their vst shells and then drag the resulting dlls into saw.

If you have everything working but one plugin, you may be already be as good as you can be - or is that for something other than saw vsts?

Finally what OS are you running on as you say you are on 11 (they told me to select 10)?
    This seems to be quite complicated.
    My current situation is that desktop machine has Win7 and laptop Win10. I'm using SS64. Until now, everything has worked on desktop computer which has Waves 11, even though it's not supported in Win7. I have used shell2vst64 succesfully.

Recently I bought RS124, which is v12 only, but it didn't install correctly on Win7 machine. Even Cubase put it on the black list. So for the first time Win7 is really not supported. But even on the laptop (Win10) I couldn't use shell2vst64. It worked but said "0 dlls extracted". I'm about to install Win10 on desktop machine too, but I really need to get RS124 working In Sawstudio.

I have the 64 bit SAW running nicely today, doing a simple mix. I am sticking with Win 7 for a bit mostly because it works. I looked around for what 64-bit plug-ins I have that use a non-dongle license...meaning license in a text file. For me this is the 1973 EQ by Stillwell, and the Fairchild 670 and Pultec plug-ins by Overtone DSP. So, these are working fine. Waves 9 is also running with the Renaissance bundle, but on the dongle, of course. When possible I will upgrade Midi Workshop and Levelizer.

Did a little test: 24 audio tracks into 3 subgroups. 24 SAW compressors, 24 SAW EQ's, 1 stereo compressor on each subgroup (2 Waves and 1 Overtone).
    Result: 14% MT Load on my Core 2 Duo.
    Last edited by Grekim; 01-03-2021 at 02:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grekim View Post
    I have the 64 bit SAW running nicely today, doing a simple mix. I am sticking with Win 7 for a bit mostly because it works. I looked around for what 64-bit plug-ins I have that use a non-dongle license...meaning license in a text file. For me this is the 1973 EQ by Stillwell, and the Fairchild 670 and Pultec plug-ins by Overtone DSP. So, these are working fine. Waves 9 is also running with the Renaissance bundle, but on the dongle, of course. When possible I will upgrade Midi Workshop and Levelizer.
    Setting up individual waves vsts on win7 kind of like root canal - the only good part is when it's over. You must have been really worn down if you had to put off the 20 second levelizer install!

One of my comments (maybe on this thread) is that I wanted to try to come up with a renaming strategy to categorize the vsts by doing something like prefixing them with cw_ dw_ ew_ mw_ for compressor, delay, eq, modulation... I started playing around with them first and before I knew it, I had them in a bunch of songs so I might be committed to no naming convention. Maybe I can still do it with shortcuts?
    Last edited by jmh; 01-03-2021 at 08:02 AM.

Setting up individual waves vsts on win7 kind of like root canal - the only good part is when it's over. You must have been really worn down if you had to put off the 20 second levelizer install!

One of my comments (maybe on this thread) is that I wanted to try to come up with a renaming strategy to categorize the vsts by doing something like prefixing them with cw_ dw_ ew_ mw_ for compressor, delay, eq, modulation... I started playing around with them first and before I knew it, I had them in a bunch of songs so I might be committed to no naming convention. Maybe I can still do it with shortcuts?
    Have you looked at SAW's FX grouping functions? Pretty handy. I'm only scratching the surface, but I have one called "Licensed FX" so that I don't have all those non-licensed UAD plugins getting in the way, and I have another called VSTi's. You could create a compressor group, a delay group, an EQ group...
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Grekim View Post
    Hello guys! I hope everyone is doing well. First, a big congratulations to Bob on the 64 bit release!!

I have been distracted from studio work with teaching, grad school, and lots of crazy hobbies. The studio is no longer a source of income for me, but who knows what may happen down the road. That said, the 64 bit version of SAW is insurance for the future and I want to support this. And SAW is my favorite workstation and works for most of the projects I do.

I do not think I can let go of the 32 bit version of SAW because of all the plug-ins I have working there. But, I would like to get a 64 bit version working with a few basic plug-ins. So, my first thought was to get Waves version 9 working with the 64 bit plugs, but the waveshell extractor says the source is invalid when I drop the 64 bit waveshell dll on it. Any advice on that? Getting that working would get me going with a reverb. My go-to reverb is the Anwida one, but that is a wait and see situation. I am looking forward to the upcoming SAW reverb too. So, what are you guys running for reverb in SAW 64 at the moment and any advice on the Waves 64 bit monkey business? Is there a 64 bit waveshell extractor? Many thanks
    Did you get this figured out?