Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: How To Outboard Effects

Quote Originally Posted by UpTilDawn View Post
    At the risk of raising the old, tired debates......

I'd have to say that if Bob is NOT the one engineer who said that, he sure is a great example of one who's proven it with SAW and SAC.

I also totally can relate to the appeal of bringing in that great analog gear that made the sounds we have all loved and even grown up with (if not outright worked with in our early days).
    No, it wasn't Bob. I said it was someone I read. Actually, it was a female engineer on a YouTube video - one of the dozens of opinions I read or listened to while I was doing research to decide whether I was actually going to do this or not. Audio engineers have come up with incredibly creative ways to make performances sound better on recordings than they actually were in person. And frankly, it wouldn't hurt for me to sound better than I actually do too. My theory, ultimately, is that having a wider pallet might not hurt.

No matter how it sounded there's no way I'd ever go back to recording on 4-track tape. Digital is so convenient by comparison. But this 500 Series stuff is attractive to me in an additive way. If you want to sound more tape-ish - there's a module for that that is the exact same analog circuit that produced the sound that you remember - rather than the attempt at a software emulation of it. And it's expensive - but not as expensive as stand-alone rack versions of the same thing. So, I have hopes. But - the proof is still in the pudding.

In any case, having great pre-amps is fantastic (which I expect you will use for initial recording).

It is inarguable that many amazing recordings have been done through certain gear. And when you have a big tube mic (emitting a slight bit of warmth) - particularly one with a storied past, it has a very real psychological effect on a performer - I don't know that this can be quantified - but I am positive that in some cases it has had huge impacts.

...then there is vacuum tubes! A whole lot about nothing - but a certain je ne sais quoi that just makes you believe!

Who knows, maybe this will be the year when the planets align and we'll believe in the gift of Christmas?

John

Quote Originally Posted by jmh View Post
    In any case, having great pre-amps is fantastic (which I expect you will use for initial recording).
    That's the plan. I'm hoping the 511 will be good too.

Who knows, maybe this will be the year when the planets align and we'll believe in the gift of Christmas?
    Well... two planets at least.

Quote Originally Posted by John Ludlow View Post
    Well... two planets at least.
    What about ours?

What about ours?
    I don't think ours is qualified as a planet anymore.

Intelligent life is a prerequisite?

No, no - that was Pluto. I think they decided, "No more cartoon character planets".

Quote Originally Posted by Bob L View Post
    In SAC, you can route from any out to any in... but you will suffer extra latency... the aux send / return in SAWStudio compensates for the latency.

Bob L
    Bob, if SAW compensates for the latency on an aux send/return, why would we hear any phasing?
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

In SAWStudio aux send/ret the signal should be in phase... I was thinking SAC with that statement, which does not attempt any latency compensation.

Bob L

Quote Originally Posted by Bob L View Post
    In SAWStudio aux send/ret the signal should be in phase... I was thinking SAC with that statement, which does not attempt any latency compensation.

Bob L
    Gotcha. Good to hear.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts