Close

Default SAC noob questions - sorry

Hey all,

I've been using SAWStudio since its inception and I'm starting to look seriously at SAC for mixing live to broadcast while recording to SAW.

I'm playing with the SAC demo and so far it looks really cool and helpful. My first issue is that not all of my plug-ins are showing up in SAC, not even all of my Saw native plugins like the Levelizer and Reverb, and none of my vst plug-ins are showing up.

What I think I understand:
    1. non zero-latency plug-ins won't load in SAC. Correct?
    2. I've had to move VST .dll files into the SAW vst plug-in file to get them to work. Do I need to do the same for SAC?

Is there a way to sync the track names in SAC and SAW so that they change in real time as you add tracks? I don't care if I have to stop the record engine to do that. Right now it looks like I need to label all of the Saw tracks, then export the mix data, then switch all of the inputs in SAC back to the way they need to be. All I want to do is keep the SAC inputs and the track names in SAW the same.

I'm using the SAC demo ver. 4.6a
    Win XP

It's an older 2.93 Ghz Core 2 duo laptop with 3 gig Ram. I have another laptop I may use that's a bit newer. But I wanted to play with this on a backup machine first.

Thank you so much for the help.
    Scott

Default Re: SAC noob questions - sorry

1. Plugins are not shared between SAW and SAC. You will have to install them in both applications. Only zero latency plug-ins will work without jumping through a lot of hoops and then you have to deal with the latency issues, so not recommended.

2. Track/Channel names to not sync in real-time but there is a short-cut in SAW studio to import channel info.

Options -> SAC Link Options ->Import Mix Data From SAC Input Chans to Cur Track (Active/Selected)

Don't select anything in SAC and it will bring in every channel all at once.
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

Use the .ini file vst method to point to the vst plugins that are in SAW and they will show up in SAC... the info is in the helpfile.

Setup all your inputs in SAC and then use the Import SAC Data function in SAW to import all the SAC labels and routingg and processing settings... then use the Arm Last Import function to open up all record meters at once properly routed to the correct SAC channels.... extremely fast and simple setup.

Bob L

I think I am startring to figure some of this out. Mostly.

At first, I was having a bit of trouble with the export/import mix data function. I don't know why, but it seems to be working and making sense now where I had problems before.

I can not seem to get my SAW plug-ins to show up in the directory. Two SAW plug-ins are there, but when I copy/paste(d) the .dll's for the others, they are still not there. Any chance that the demo comes loaded with the two SAW plug-ins that I see? I could not find that addressed in the manual. My DX plug-ins are good, and the one .VST I've moved seems fine. So those won't be an issue.

I know I must be missing something. But, I would like to use the SAC mixer to mix live while recording sessions/concerts. I like staying consistent in my work flow as much as possible. How do you change the input of SAC from live inputs (hardware ins) to SAW playback without changing the input source at the top of the channel? I can play back channels just fine if I change it, but I seem to need to change them one by one. Is there a more efficient way? If not, it's fine, I can use live mode with session like I've been doing. I'm just trying to find out as much as I can about functionality before I try to integrate SAC into my workflow.

I know these things may seem simple to you, possibly even annoying to answer. But, I really am trying to find answers before posting.

My work flow is probably not the same as most of the people here. So, I often find myself fitting square pegs into round holes.

Thank you for your help,
    Scott

You don't need to change the source for playback, just route the SAW studio master channel back into SAC on a free channel and that becomes your playback channel.

This way all of your input/live mixing is done in SAC and your playback mix is done in SAW studio.

You don't need to have completely matching plug-ins for live and tracked material. Live sound mixes are rarely mixed the same as recorded tracks (even live recorded tracks).
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

Quote Originally Posted by cgrafx View Post
    You don't need to change the source for playback, just route the SAW studio master channel back into SAC on a free channel and that becomes your playback channel.

This way all of your input/live mixing is done in SAC and your playback mix is done in SAW studio.

You don't need to have completely matching plug-ins for live and tracked material. Live sound mixes are rarely mixed the same as recorded tracks (even live recorded tracks).
    I thought about that, and I could set up groups, or maybe a scene, to make that easy. I just wanted to check before I did that.

I work with orchestras, big bands, choirs, etc. Normally, I use SS in live mode and everything is good. The mix is to hand the client after the concert or session. Depending, it may be the only mix they get, but I need to be able to play back a reference for them quickly during rehearsals or sound check (or while tracking, which I can still do in SS live mode). So, the live mix needs to be identical to the playback mix, or as near as possible. Still, I can find workarounds. I just need to know if that's what I need to do, or if there is a better way. I always find it better to ask.

These days, I'm finding myself doing more live to video work and am exploring ways to cut latency.

Thank you,
    Scott

Thanks,
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post

What I think I understand:
    1. non zero-latency plug-ins won't load in SAC. Correct?

Scott
    ....they will, but only using a VSThost plugin like Xlutop Chainer VST that is not free.
    It's an awesome host, that can actually store combinations of multiple plugin setups!
    Great for creating patches for Guitars, Vocals, Bass and so on.... Also, some of the
    Waves plugins that won't load in SAC can be accessed through Chainer like C6, C4,
    LinMB and other plugins like Massey, SoundToys, Slate....you name it!

Last edited by operationwhat; 01-20-2021 at 03:04 AM.

This is great! Thank you!

I know I've got some testing yet to do, but there are parts of SAC that I really like if I can get it to fit into my workflow.

Scott