Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: SAWStudio64 Newbie: crash outputting a buildmix

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Labrecque View Post
    Pretty darned. It's just a simple buildmix with no plugins. Seems to complete successfully, other than the weird behavior. What kind of dialog box could there be?
    There is the append or overwrite - but you would already have passed this if you got 20% done.

What if you mute some of the tracks? Could one of the wavs be corrupted?

Dave...you know I am a cynic when it comes to Windows 10, for real time processing(...too many background processes, too blotted...etc). Since you get crashes in SAW32 and 64bit, it seems unlikely that SAW is the problem. Since I would think processing would involve a lot of CPU use, there may be a resource conflict somewhere in the system. My 2 cents worth of suggestions would be...disconnect the internet(# 1)...how many cores are you using?...did you try it with one CPU in SAW...is the system board in turbo mode?...is your system board in speed throttle mode?(..I had a problem with this on one of my systems..this was the system default)...check for useless background processes running...try running with Windows sound drivers, rather than ASIO...
    Laughing Crow Studios
    Alberta Canada

Quote Originally Posted by jmh View Post
    There is the append or overwrite - but you would already have passed this if you got 20% done.

What if you mute some of the tracks? Could one of the wavs be corrupted?
    I've tried it with a single region on a single track. Different source WAVs. Plus I've been putting the region way down the timeline, like ten or even thirty minutes down the timeline, and it get's weird before it even reaches the audio. Like at 1% or 10% or 20%.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

I've tried it with a single region on a single track. Different source WAVs. Plus I've been putting the region way down the timeline, like ten or even thirty minutes down the timeline, and it get's weird before it even reaches the audio. Like at 1% or 10% or 20%.
    I had a issue when first getting on win 10 where the file owner or permissions were odd. I don't even remember the symptom. It was something like I had copied my plugin folder from another machine. You might search for a powershell command for a recursive directory listing of all file properties?

Pretty darned. It's just a simple buildmix with no plugins. Seems to complete successfully, other than the weird behavior. What kind of dialog box could there be?
    Um, some sort of Windoze warning or notification perhaps.

I know, it's a stretch.

Can't tell you how many times the 'ole unnoticed dialog box has tricked me over the years. Especially on '10.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny O View Post
    Dave...you know I am a cynic when it comes to Windows 10, for real time processing(...too many background processes, too blotted...etc). Since you get crashes in SAW32 and 64bit, it seems unlikely that SAW is the problem. Since I would think processing would involve a lot of CPU use, there may be a resource conflict somewhere in the system. My 2 cents worth of suggestions would be...disconnect the internet(# 1)...how many cores are you using?
    Tried it with the Internet disconnected. Still happened. 10-core processor. Looked like parallel activity, to varying degrees, in 8 of the 20 logical cores. This surprises me, since there are no plugins in the session, and I thought SAW was limited to a single core.

...did you try it with one CPU in SAW...
    You mean with the "Force single CPU option"? Yes. Didn't seem to help.

is the system board in turbo mode?...is your system board in speed throttle mode?(..I had a problem with this on one of my systems..this was the system default)
    The board is allegedly set to the factory default mode. The CPU is an I9 10850K, which has a base frequency of 3.6 GHz and a max. Turbo of 5.2 GHz. It seems to be idling around 4.8 GHz, which is where it is when I do the SAW buildmixes. I wonder why it's running so fast without load.

...check for useless background processes running...try running with Windows sound drivers, rather than ASIO...
    Yeah, I guess it's time to look into background stuff. Also, the idea to try different drivers is a good one as a diagnosis approach.

I also notice that, while I have DDR 4 3200 memory, the memory frequency it's running at appears to be closer to 2400. I wouldn't think that would cause this, but I wonder why it's defaulting low.

New info: I was able to get successful builds with the simpler sessions (one region on one track w/ no plugins) by playing with output buffer size. Still can't get fuller sessions to buildmix normally, though. But it's a clue, I suppose.
    Becket, Massachusetts

Try starting totally fresh with a SAW install in a different directory with all the stock default settings and run the EDL, if you haven't already.

Try switching to the opposite priority in system properties/advanced/options/processor scheduling. I have found on some systems the recommended setting of programs is not the best solution.

I had some issues early on trying to preserve things from earlier installs, so remake all your default settings files just to be sure there is nothing corrupted.

What sound device are you using with this system?

I remember having an issue where the buildmix window wouldn't update and the system appeared unresponsive, but was actually finishing the mix-fixed by setting SAW64 to Windows7 compatibility.
    Last edited by MMP; 02-07-2021 at 06:30 AM.
    Michael McInnis Productions

Are you using any audio that could be getting flagged by DRM? Windows could by trying to do a lookup on it - and since you are not online, failing. You could see if any of the processes running are associated with copy protection.

Quote Originally Posted by MMP View Post
    Try starting totally fresh with a SAW install in a different directory with all the stock default settings and run the EDL, if you haven't already.

Try switching to the opposite priority in system properties/advanced/options/processor scheduling. I have found on some systems the recommended setting of programs is not the best solution.

I had some issues early on trying to preserve things from earlier installs, so remake all your default settings files just to be sure there is nothing corrupted.

What sound device are you using with this system?

I remember having an issue where the buildmix window wouldn't update and the system appeared unresponsive, but was actually finishing the mix-fixed by setting SAW64 to Windows7 compatibility.
    I'm using an old MBox2 Mini interface, FWIW.

A million thanks for your ideas, Michael (and for everyone else's, too). I did a fresh install, but the problem persisted. I tried the Windows 7 compatibility setting, but to no avail. Then I clicked on the option to let Windows check the EXE and do what it thought was best (Compatibility Troubleshooter), which was to set it to Windows 8 compatibility mode. And it appears to have worked!

Hoping I wouldn't have to reconfigure preferences and reinstall VSTs, etc., I copied those files over from my prior installation, and so far so good.

Who knows why this was required? I sure don't think I had it set this way on my last computer. I remember setting it to Windows XP SP2 a while back, but that option is no longer available. At least not on my current version of Windows, which is LTSC build 17763.

NOTE: I guess I can't be sure what all, exactly, Windows did to fix the compatibility issue. Yes, it now indicates it's set to Windows 8 compatibility (set AND greyed out), but when I tried to manually make the same setting in my 32-bit SAW install, it didn't make a difference. Then I ran the Compatibility Troubleshooter for that EXE, and it came back with the same setting (Windows 8), but this time it worked! So, maybe something else going on under the hood?

Also, this time (i.e. on the 32-bit SAW EXE), for whatever reason, the Windows 8 compatibility setting is set but NOT greyed out. What's up with that?

Final observation: well, I do see now that there ARE XP compatibility settings available for the 32-bit EXE, but there were not any for the 64-bit EXE. So maybe it's not so much a they-musta-done-away-with-that kinda thing than a maybe-it's-not-there-for-the-64-bit-EXE-because-they-didn't-have-such-things-in-XP kinda thing?

Anyway, seems to be working as it should in both versions of SAW, now. Many thanks to everyone (especially MMP) for your help!
    Last edited by Dave Labrecque; 02-07-2021 at 12:49 PM.
    Becket, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by jmh View Post
    Are you using any audio that could be getting flagged by DRM? Windows could by trying to do a lookup on it - and since you are not online, failing. You could see if any of the processes running are associated with copy protection.
    Good ideas. Not applicable, though. All original content with a bit of royalty-free library music. Been doing these same productions for years. Plus I'm almost always online.

But see my other post. It was a simple compatibility setting for the EXE! This time: Windows 8!
    Becket, Massachusetts