Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default SAC and Console 1

I attempted to run Console 1 (Softube) and it did not respond as I expected...

Anyone running C1 with Sac?

Default Re: SAC and Console 1

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Burger View Post

What are you trying to accomplish. SAC is already a complete virtual console, what purpose would Console 1 serve?
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

I was hoping to control their plugins with the Console 1 in addition to everything I do with SAC via controllers and mice.

I was hoping to control their plugins with the Console 1 in addition to everything I do with SAC via controllers and mice.
    Ok... again I'll repeat my question.. SAC is a live audio console. Console 1 is NOT a live audio console, its intended for DAW use.

What purpose would Console 1 serve in a Live Audio context?

Perhaps your meaning Saw Studio rather than SAC?

Also just based on what Console 1 is, its highly unlikely to be zero latency which is going to make it mostly unusable.
    Last edited by cgrafx; 02-11-2021 at 02:36 AM.
    Philip G.

As I understand it C1 will control parameters of it's own plug-ins plus some parameters of supported DAWs. I pretty sure SAWStudio is not an officially supported DAW. But have you looked into C1's ability to work with standard protocols like MCU or HUI? That's how most control surfaces are interfacing with SAW/SAC these days, as I understand it.

I'm only starting down this road myself and was liking the Console 1 surfaces until I decided they would mostly provide a whole bunch of processing options that I really don't need. Never did get far enough in to know how it might be used to control SAW itself. Actually, I think external DAW control is a relatively new addition to its feature set that I wasn't even aware of till a couple weeks ago. But I could be wrong.
    Last edited by Dave Labrecque; 02-11-2021 at 11:38 AM.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Labrecque View Post
    As I understand it C1 will control parameters of it's own plug-ins plus some parameters of supported DAWs. I pretty sure SAWStudio is not an officially supported DAW. But have you looked into C1's ability to work with standard protocols like MCU or HUI? That's how most control surfaces are interfacing with SAW/SAC these days, as I understand it.

I'm only starting down this road myself and was liking the Console 1 surfaces until I decided they would mostly provide a whole bunch of processing options that I really don't need. Never did get far enough in to know how it might be used to control SAW itself. Actually, I think external DAW control is a relatively new addition to its feature set that I wasn't even aware of till a couple weeks ago. But I could be wrong.
    Quoted from Softube

A totally unique hybrid between hardware and software, Softube Console 1 gives the best of both worlds, and redefines mixing in the DAW-based studio. Quickly switch between your tracks and control EQ, compressor, gate and more. Mix with the sound of the included Solid State Logic SL 4000 E. Or customize your channels to fit your needs — there are over 70 Console 1 ready plug-ins available from Softube and Universal Audio.
    Console 1 is not a stand-alone control surface. Its software with a dedicated control surface with some additional hooks added for integration with supported DAWs.

Its not designed to be used as a plugin for a live mixing console like SAC.

And as I asked, I don't understand what purpose this would serve in a SAC environment.
    Philip G.

Quote Originally Posted by cgrafx View Post
    Also just based on what Console 1 is, its highly unlikely to be zero latency which is going to make it mostly unusable.
    Hey Philip,

There's nothing wrong with asking if someone has experience with it and/or trying it out if one already owns the Console 1. I don't see the harm in discussing this.

Anyway, found this on the Softube support page:

• Will there be latency in the system?
      In most use cases, plug-in latency is not a problem as any major DAW offers automatic compensation of plug-in delay. But even for use directly on the incoming signal, the latency of the Console 1 channel is very low ***8212; 4 samples in 44.1 and 48 kHz sample rate, and 0 samples in sample rates above that.
    So it seems the way to try it inside of SAC would be to use a samplerate of 88.2 or 96kHz.

Of course since there's no support for Console 1 in SAC then none of the 'DAW integration' features will work.

Blog Entries

Good day,

Regardless, I would tend to agree with Philip, with regards to the purpose of the use of Console 1 in a Live Audio context.

Seems rather redundant to me...but this is just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by cgrafx View Post
    Quoted from Softube

Console 1 is not a stand-alone control surface. Its software with a dedicated control surface with some additional hooks added for integration with supported DAWs.

Its not designed to be used as a plugin for a live mixing console like SAC.

And as I asked, I don't understand what purpose this would serve in a SAC environment.
    Not sure whom you're addressing here, Philip. I can't answer for the OP, of course. But, I suppose, if there were some no-latency Softube plug-ins and SAC interface control hooks (by virtue of MCU in this case), there would be that. But you know this.
    Last edited by Dave Labrecque; 02-11-2021 at 01:11 PM.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by Naturally Digital View Post
    Hey Philip,

There's nothing wrong with asking if someone has experience with it and/or trying it out if one already owns the Console 1. I don't see the harm in discussing this.

Anyway, found this on the Softube support page:

So it seems the way to try it inside of SAC would be to use a samplerate of 88.2 or 96kHz.

Of course since there's no support for Console 1 in SAC then none of the 'DAW integration' features will work.
    If this was a SAW Studio discussion that would make sense. I'm not understanding how this would be of any help in a SAC installation.

But lets have an actual discussion.

What are you hoping to accomplish by using this in SAC? How would this help your specific situation.

Is there something about the plugins that would be useful for you in a live console?
    How would having a control surface that controls those plugins be better than plugins that you control with a mouse?

So in fact you have actually answered your own question. you tried Console 1 in SAC and it didn't respond as you expected.

So what did it do? What did you expect it to do? And what did it not do that you wanted it to do?
    Last edited by cgrafx; 02-11-2021 at 01:20 PM.
    Philip G.