Close

1. Default SAWStudioFull32 + SSLevelizer + 64bit VST2 plugins (via jBridge) weirdness

Hello all,

Please let me preface this post with a disclaimer:
    I know what I am doing is unorthodox and unsupported, but I think I've run into something and I'd like to know if anyone else can replicate this crash as easily as I can.
    Additionally... Yes, I know the ultimate solution is to use 64-bit SS, I'm getting there

I'm using SAWStudio Full v5.8a (32-bit)
    Studio Levelizer 3.8
    Various VST2 64-bit plugins via jBridge v1.75d4 (see end for how I did it)
    ...on Win10 Home (64-bit)

When using 64 bit VST2 plugins (no instruments tested) via jBridge, they work fine except in the following scenario:
    Place Levelizer before the bridged VST plugin in the channel (or output) FX signal chain and as soon as one engages either "Peak Limit" or "Normalize" SS immediately crashes to desktop upon playback (or while playing back then engaged).

If the Levelizer is after the 64bit bridged VST plugin, it's fine whether Peak Limit or Normalize is on or off.
    As long as Peak Limit or Normalize is not on, Levelizer lives fine before or after the 64bit bridged VST plugin.
    *I have tested this on the channels as well as output, but have not tested on returns yet.

I've tested SS EQ, Echo/Delay & Reverb, JMS Hi-Res verb, Sonoris goodies.
    All the Native plugs I own seem to be fine intermingling. I'm only seeing this with the Levelizer.
    *Not saying it's Levelizer (or jBridge) at "fault", just what I've noticed and can consistently repeat here.

The Pre/Post FX choice is irrelevant on the channel/output, you can place the bridged plugs on Post and Levelizer on Pre and it crashes also.
    The amount of plugins seems irrelevant also, just Levelizer and one bridged plug or a handful of assorted, it's the order that matters.
    As soon as I place the Levelizer (with Peak Limit or Normalize on) before any (I can test) 64bit bridged VST2 on the channel/output, insta poof.

FWIW, You can put Levelizer on channels (only after any 64bit bridged plugs) and then 64bit bridged plugs on output and it's fine.

Feedback please, can anyone replicate this?

How I did the jBridge and got 64-bit VST2s into SAWStudioFull32, just in case it's my process that's borked (very likely):
    I tested this with Waves v12, Voxengo freebie plugs and other assorted freebies.

First, I had to bust the Waves dlls. out of the shell with shell2vst64.exe
    Once the .dlls were "free" and in the C:\Program Files\VSTPlugIns folder and subfolders...

I fired up jBridge, said I wanted 32bit host, selected bridge 64 bit plugins, no rename, picked Program Files\VSTPlugins as source and made a folder in the jBridge install folder called "BridgedDLLs" and pointed to it as the output folder.
    Once jBridge was done, I copied all the bridged .dll and .txt files (one for each plugin) to SAWStudio\VST_Plugins.
    Jon Ketcham
    Sound Suite
    Holly Springs, NC, USA

Default Re: SAWStudioFull32 + SSLevelizer + 64bit VST2 plugins (via jBridge) weirdness

Jon, this is pretty normal behavior. Many plugins won't follow the Levelizer when it's changing the buffer size, which is what it does when peak limiting or normalizing. That's just the way it is. You just have to work around that limitation. It may not be related to the bridging thing so much as to how the plug-ins following the Levelizer are processing the incoming data.

We've been living with this issue for years. Long before I ever started bridging plug-ins, which was last week.

That's all I know.
    Last edited by Dave Labrecque; 02-16-2021 at 06:47 PM.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

3. Default Re: SAWStudioFull32 + SSLevelizer + 64bit VST2 plugins (via jBridge) weirdness

Dave, et all...

The 32bit versions of the plugins don't exhibit this behavior though?
    Only the bridged 64bit versions, it appears.

*v10 Waves 32bit using shell2vst only vs v12 64bit shell2vst64 & jBridge
    ...and Voxengo 64/32bit versions I have.

PS, In the SS 64bit demo with demo Levelizer, the shell broken 64bit plugins work fine with no negative interaction.
    Last edited by SoundSuite; 02-16-2021 at 08:32 PM.
    Jon Ketcham
    Sound Suite
    Holly Springs, NC, USA

Default Re: SAWStudioFull32 + SSLevelizer + 64bit VST2 plugins (via jBridge) weirdness

Quote Originally Posted by SoundSuite View Post
    Dave, et all...

Only the bridged 64 bit versions, it appears.

...and Voxengo 32-bit versions I have.
    Something's not happy with the buffer size changing. I'd suggest 'don't do that' and carry on.

5. Default Re: SAWStudioFull32 + SSLevelizer + 64bit VST2 plugins (via jBridge) weirdness

And since I didn't make crystal clear above...
    Bob, I'm not doing a bug report or expecting any time spent by you to attempt a fix.
    The "fix" is by upgrading to the 64bit SAWStudio, which I'm doing asap.
    Thank you!

This post was more intentioned to bring to light a hiccup I'm seeing when using jBridge and trying to work 64 bit VSTs into the 32bit SS + the Levelizer in a certain order.
    I searched for someone else reporting this on the forums and didn't find, so worth a sanity check
    Jon Ketcham
    Sound Suite
    Holly Springs, NC, USA

Quote Originally Posted by SoundSuite View Post
    Dave, et all...

Only the bridged 64bit versions, it appears.

...and Voxengo 64/32bit versions I have.

PS, In the SS 64bit demo with demo Levelizer, the shell broken 64bit plugins work fine with no negative interaction.
    A valid point. If the 32-bit versions are working, iit must be the bridging code that doesn't like the buffer size changes. I think you'd need to either re-order your plugs or find a substitute for the Levelizer.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts